Car tax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rashman

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK
The car tax for my AMG is twice the price of my insurance.
Yet, I only do around 3,000 miles a year in it.

Bloody jokers.

They seriously need to reform how car tax is charged.

I was having this conversation with a friend the other day and, while doing some crude maths, we concluded that it would be better to scrap car tax, slightly increase the price of fuel and have them take a take a slice of the cost of fuel per litre, effectively creating a pay as you go system.

You do more miles = you contribute more to road wear = you pay more to fix them.

^They may argue what not buy a car in a cheaper tax bracket? But yes agreed the current system is a joke.

Bloody jokers.

I was having this conversation with a friend the other day and, while doing some crude maths, we concluded that it would be better to scrap car tax, slightly increase the price of fuel and have them take a take a slice of the cost of fuel per litre, effectively creating a pay as you go system.

You do more miles = you contribute more to road wear = you pay more to fix them.
We already pay 61% tax at the pump, the highest in Europe, and more recently insurance tax. I would rather see a road tax introduced for horses and cyclists to pay their share, as for horses it could be calculated per dump they kindly deposit all over the roads we pay for!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Lets face it all political parties will screw the motorist. My pet hate was the £500+ road tax on most of my cars but hey short of a revolution what can you do. On principle I used to SORN over winter.

...On principle I used to SORN over winter.

Yes, I have considered this too.
With the crap weather we’ve had the winter, it would have probably been a good idea because the car hasn’t left the garage since around last oct/ nov.

We already pay 61% tax at the pump, the highest in Europe, and more recently insurance tax. I would rather see a road tax introduced for horses and cyclists to pay their share, as for horses it could be calculated per dump they kindly deposit all over the roads we pay for!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

That's a good idea perhaps they could invest some of the extra ££s into road side toilets, then i could use a Toilet by the road side instead of having to get off my bike and leave a turd in the gutter lol

Bloody jokers.

I am the same, do about 3000 miles per year.

Don't start me off!

I pay over £500 for my Jeep. Do about 1k a year in it, run it on LPG and the insurance is cheap too. I don't like paying £500 in tax, but it's a choice I make. I'm free to get rid of it any time I like.

I probably don't need a car at all, yet we have 3 between us and I'm building a 4th. Again, these are choices.

Face it, if it wasn't car tax, it would be something else.

1. Moving the VED to fuel isn't straightforward, because increases in fuel prices have all sorts of unintended consequences, e.g. cost of food transport and public transport etc.

2. Charging per mile isn't a perfect solution either, for one thing it favours city dwellers and discriminates against rural communities. Ultimately, the mileage is irrelevant, it's the time your car spends on the road that counts. E.g., during my 6 miles commute to work I am contributing to congestion for 40 minutes while my car moves slowly along Marylebone Road - and I will have covered 50 Motorway miles in the same time.

3. Taxing cyclists isn't an option either, the whole Go Green thing is based on cycling being a quick, cheap, and easy travel solution. If cyclists now need to register, fill-in forms, pay taxes, fit a license plate or badge etc, this will be counter-productive to the cause (and any such initiative will be shot-down very quickly by the Greens lobby). Additionally, it is unenforceable and large sections of the population will simply ignore it.

4. The only logical solution is fitting cars with black boxes (telematics). Once the DVLA collects your data in real-time, the charge is just a matter of software programming and can be tailored to each person's individual circumstances. The software that calculates the charge can take into acoount very many factors including mileage, time spent on the road, type of vehicle (LGV etc), type of fuel, time of day, type of road (A/B/Motorway), personal circumstances such as age or disability, etc etc etc etc. And these can be changed whenever needed or to suit the political agenda of the government of the day.

Of course the main objection is on grounds of privacy, but we live in a connected world and (apart for some recluse types) gave-up on privacy long time ago.

I pay £13/mo for the small car and £20/mo for the other two .

Best of all , in a few years all will be VED exempt . More cars are becoming exempt every year now that it is rolling .

I have no complaints .

1. Moving the VED to fuel isn't straightforward, because increases in fuel prices have all sorts of unintended consequences, e.g. cost of food transport and public transport etc.

2. Charging per mile isn't a perfect solution either, for one thing it favours city dwellers and discriminates against rural communities. Ultimately, the mileage is irrelevant, it's the time your car spends on the road that counts. E.g., during my 6 miles commute to work I am contributing to congestion for 40 minutes while my car moves slowly along Marylebone Road - and I will have covered 50 Motorway miles in the same time.

3. Taxing cyclists isn't an option either, the whole Go Green thing is based on cycling being a quick, cheap, and easy travel solution. If cyclists now need to register, fill-in forms, pay taxes, fit a license plate or badge etc, this will be counter-productive to the cause (and any such initiative will be shot-down very quickly by the Greens lobby). Additionally, it is unenforceable and large sections of the population will simply ignore it.

4. The only logical solution is fitting cars with black boxes (telematics). Once the DVLA collects your data in real-time, the charge is just a matter of software programming and can be tailored to each person's individual circumstances. The software that calculates the charge can take into acoount very many factors including mileage, time spent on the road, type of vehicle (LGV etc), type of fuel, time of day, type of road (A/B/Motorway), personal circumstances such as age or disability, etc etc etc etc. And these can be changed whenever needed or to suit the political agenda of the government of the day.

Of course the main objection is on grounds of privacy, but we live in a connected world and (apart for some recluse types) gave-up on privacy long time ago.
Another option would be to tax the driver instead of the vehicle - an annual driving licence fee .

I can only drive one car at a time , so rather than paying VED on X no of vehicles , I pay for the privilege of driving , and just pay once , since I can only use one car at a time .

Other members of households who also drive would pay in the same way , so if two drivers they pay twice .

Road tax should be on a sliding scale; the bigger the engine, the less you pay and once you go over 5.0 litres the government should pay YOU.

This theory is based on, as a general rule of thumb, the bigger the engine the less MPG it does ergo more goes into the government coffers.

Best of all , in a few years all will be VED exempt . More cars are becoming exempt every year now that it is rolling .

Not sure I'd call 16 years a few? My BMW will drop into exemption next year but it's a long wait for the SL to get there.

Road tax should be on a sliding scale; the bigger the engine, the less you pay and once you go over 5.0 litres the government should pay YOU.

This theory is based on, as a general rule of thumb, the bigger the engine the less MPG it does ergo more goes into the government coffers.

That can already happen, depending on the age of the vehicles. We have a 5.0L SL (1997) and a 2.5L C Class (2007). The road tax on the C Class is roughly double that for the SL! Or at least that was the case at last renewal - it seems to change on a regular basis :D

Not sure I'd call 16 years a few? My BMW will drop into exemption next year but it's a long wait for the SL to get there.
Though they stopped the exemption in the late 90’s? So the youngest car that is exempt is circa 1973 ish?

I believe CAMBRIDGE ANALYTICA might be putting in a bid to run the system?;)
Altho filling in the multiple choice questionaire everytime before the car will start may be a bit tiresome?
Please answer yes or no to the following
1. Does your local council repair potholes and should they re-instate the death penalty.
2. Should on street parking be banned and only rich people with garages allowed to drive cars
3. Data harvesting companies are not the spawn of the devil but ultimately the saviour of mankind.*
4. Megan Markle would be a better future queen than Kate Middleton.
5. Should readers of the Daily Mail require to pass an English literacy test .
6. Is Donald Trump a demi-god.
7. Mercedes ---are they all they're cracked up to be

* Care should be exercised when answering this question as the wrong answer may lead your car being immobilised for a month for technical reasons.

Thank you for your co-operation in answering todays questionaire citizen/ driver / person
Brought to you by Cambridge Driving Systems- We're always watching!
---terms and conditions apply

Last edited:
Yes, I have considered this too.
With the crap weather we’ve had the winter, it would have probably been a good idea because the car hasn’t left the garage since around last oct/ nov.

Easy fix, pay monthly and sorn for the months you will not be using the vehicle, mad not to, why pay road tax for it to be parked in a garage for months?

Easy fix, pay monthly and sorn for the months you will not be using the vehicle, mad not to, why pay road tax for it to be parked in a garage for months?
Agreed.
I may well employ this method.
The only thing that has deterred me from doing this before is having to faff about when I spontaneously want to take the at out during a period of sorn.
I also prefer not to let the car sit for months on end without driving it, which is another reason I don’t sorn.

During winter, I don’t have a choice though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom