Car tax.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kurtdaley

Car
Evoque HSE Dynamic & Mini Cooper
When you tax your car at the post office and the car tax reminder is in your name but you are a named driver on the insurance policy which is your wifes name can you still legally tax the vehicle?

I ask because when I went to tax my car today the guy at the post office stated that this was the case and refused to issue me with a tax disc.

Very, very confused.

Don't see any reason why.
I would either try Taxing it online or another Post Office.

Alex.

Don't see any reason why.
I would either try Taxing it online or another Post Office.

Alex.

That's what I thought, as long as it's got an up to date MOT and valid insurance you should be able to tax the car.
Had a big stand off with him but he was adamant that he couldn't do it.
Will try a different post office tomorrow.

It's the car than needs to be insured not the owner! He's wrong. You don't need to be the owner to be the main driver, the main driver needs to have the insurance in their name!

Kate

I fell foul of this a few years ago trying to tax Mrs. Strat's car. The lady behind the counter was adamant the car in question needed to be insured in its own right.

How do companies manage?

Car is regeistered to the company - company insurance policy....

Most lease though which includes the Tax anyway.

However, as already stated, its the car that needs proof of insurance not the registered keeper.

You can own a car and not have a driving licence.....Your partner could drive, I bet that would really throw the jobsworths.

The insurance HAS to be in the same name as on the V5, not a named driver etc. I know this from experiance. Had a row with postie because I tried to tax the wifes car with insurance showing me as additional driver, rang DVLA and they said postie is correct in refusing RFL. Cr£p I know but that's how it is (or was, I'm talking 7 or 8 years ago).

Slightly different , I know , but colleagues at work with leased cars which are registered in the name of the leasing company , have to take out their own insurance .

For non driving owners , I wonder if they can be the policyholder but with only other named drivers entitled to drive ?

I have in the past had a classic car policy which entitled me to drive ' any car the property of Mr D Heeps' and never had a problem with tax . There was a collective annual mileage limit across all the cars but in theory I could cover any car registered to me . Policy was with a company called Clarkson-Puckle and underwritten by Royal Insurance .

MUDSTER'S Last line sums it up for me. JOBS WORTH.

The insurance HAS to be in the same name as on the V5, not a named driver etc. I know this from experiance. Had a row with postie because I tried to tax the wifes car with insurance showing me as additional driver, rang DVLA and they said postie is correct in refusing RFL. Cr£p I know but that's how it is (or was, I'm talking 7 or 8 years ago).

Ok, how do we get our cars taxed then.....

Cars Registered to Masterlease, Insurance in the company name.....

Don't be silly, they just require proof it's insured.

do it online - far quicker and all the 'system' checks for is that there is a valid insurance policy in place for that vehicle! (and MOT of course.)

I would do it on-line anyway just to avoid the urine tainted retards you find in Post Offices - and that's just the staff, customers are worse :D

Mudster is right... doesnt matter who is the registered keeper... the car just has to be insured to get tax.

So for example, my cars are registered to me personally.. my insurance is done with mercland and my policy states that i can drive any car in my ownership or possession and so can tax it with this policy.

Registered keeper does not have to be the driver.

MUDSTER'S Last line sums it up for me. JOBS WORTH.

I used to have hassle with mine a few years ago as my insurance renewal used to in the month after my tax (by a few days).

The Post Office always were suspicious of this, once when they refused to issue me a tax disc, they suggested that I may not renew my insurance! I showed them my renewal letter and stated that it is paid by direct debit anyway so it auto renews.

So much easier doing it online and not having to queue up in the post office...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom