Car to keep

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rothbury

Car
E250 cdi estate 2013
After my agreement on my current 2009 C250cdi estate ends I will probably be wanting to keep my next car for a lot longer maybe up to 10 years. I have seen on this site that there are many members running cars 10-20 years old. I would value anyone's opinion on what model/year they would consider a good bet. I have in mind either a C class or E class estate probably but not necessarily diesel. I particularly like the late W211 E class. I hate the bling on the current ones.

The late W211's are great cars. It needs to be a 280 or 320 diesel in my opinion, the engine matchesthe car perfectly. Very reliable, very quiet and smooth.. mpg pretty good too.

Only common issue is inlet port shutoff motor failure which is around a £3-400 job.

I have a W202, 1999, C240 V6. Still love driving it 11 years on :)

I thought there were some years to avoid with Mercs like most of the 1990s because of poor quality bodywork. Certainly I think the W211, which dates back to 2002 doesn't it ,was the beginning of a revival in quality so I understand.
What sort of running costs/mpg do you have with the 240 V6 and what's the build quality like?

I thought post 2004 the E class was galvanised? So bodywork should be ok.

no idea on the MPG. We have a considrably older e320 estate (s124) and that likes a drink (400 miles on 70 litres is the best I have ever achieved. Usually rather less round town. that said it's fairly bombproof mechanically though some bodywork needs tidying up (wings as ever)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom