Car Towed Away

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeremytaylor

MB Enthusiast
Car
E280CDI Sport Est., CLK 200k Cab., VW T5 174, Citroen C8, and a 2CV!
I have a permit to park on the street near my work. Yesterday it fell off the dashboard because when I returned to my car it was gone. Fortunately only towed rather than stolen!

Now I readily admit that if the permit fell off the dashboard, that is my fault, I was not clearly displaying ticket, etc. and I must take the medicine and pay yet another stealth tax (£50) :mad: . My beef is that within 2 hours of the ticket being issued the car was lifted and taken to the pound, encurring a further tax of £200 :eek: !!! Now, I thought that guidelines had been issued to councils that cars should only be lifted where they were causing an obstruction, and that if they were in a bay and had no ticket/overstayed/etc. they should only be ticketed.

The reason I ask is because the guy at the car pound suggested I appeal the lifting fee. If I do so, contravention of any such guidelines, if they exist, would help my case enormously! Does anybody here know (mentioning no names, Robert Saunders :D )??

If it makes any difference, my tax was encurred in Brent via their sub-contractors APCOA.

I'm sorry to hear your bad news.

I park my car on-street with a permit from Aylesbury Vale DC. Before issuing a ticket they always check the vehicle registration number with the central database, using GPRS-equipped handheld devices.

Once my permit fell off. The warden checked the database, obtained my house number and kindly knocked on the door to tell me my permit must have fallen off! No ticket, no problem.

I have changed vehicle twice and each time the council have put the new registration number straight on to the database, so the warden cannot ticket me, even though I cannot display a permit.

Surely this sort of equipment should be a requirement for all local authorities operating permit systems?

How does a permit "fall off the dashboard"..?? Seems you have an over zealous warden system there.

Hope no damage was done to your car? The thought of lifting a car feels me with dread -- they dont care what they do...

Good luck :rock:

We don't clamp or towaway in Peterborough, my knowledge is therefore a little limited, plus regulations in London are different to the rest of England.

Anyway, from the Brent web pages:

Towing
A parking ticket may be issued immediately once meter, pay and display or voucher time is expired. The law allows a 15 minute 'grace' before a clamp may be applied or the vehicle removed. In other circumstances Brent Council may tow away illegally parked vehicles immediately.

All towed vehicles are taken to the pound at Pyramid House, and the Police are also informed. If you think your vehicle has been towed contact the Police, or call Pyramid House direct on 020 8937 4990.

The cost of releasing a vehicle from the car pound is £200 plus the storage fee of £40 per day. When you come to collect your car you must bring three pieces of ID including your drivers licence, the vehicle registration document, and a utility bill.

I have checked the Road Traffic Act 1991 and associated guidance and cannot find any detail about only towing if causing obstruction etc but will continue to look

Also, does the PCN or associated documentation mention the Road Traffic Act 1991, or a different Act?

Thanks, Robert.

The PCN mentions the RTA 1991 and has a 'Date of Notice' as well as a date of offence. There is no paperwork relating to the lifting, just a nice big Release Fee Receipt - £200 :eek:

It's interesting that Brent's website says a 15 min. period of grace is allowed before the car is clamped or lifted. I was sure that there had been guidelines on removal, but maybe it was just a suggestion that was reported, rather than firm guielines.

Crockers, don't worry I checked my baby thoroughly - no damage. The guy at the pound even commented on what a professional job they do. Grrrrr.

Thanks re: RTA'91, some roads are enforced through London via TfL and they use different legislation.

Anyhoo, I hope it states date of contravention not date of offence? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom