Car Transporter Hire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Swiss Toni

MB Enthusiast
Car
Pedestrian
Does anyone know whether any of the national car/van/truck hire firms have a (single) car transporter on their fleet?

I am looking to move an average sized car but do not want to use a trailor - so need a Transit sized transporter.

Cheers!

Post 1000 - WooHoo!

What car, where from and to? :)

Best bet is a recovery firm local to either the collection or dropoff point as many charge mileage on a round trip.

I think the hiring option will be very expensive. If you're in no immediate rush phone a few of the recovery places up and see what they'll do it for?

Or is there a specific reason for the self-drive?

Will

I am collecting, taking to a garage for inspection, returning to seller to buy then tranporting a (fragile) car half way across the country.

It's a long days work, covers a fair few miles and will require some patience.

I'd considered the local haulier idea, but rejected it as the miles and hours make it costly.

I *could* hire a trailer for a couple of hundred, but the location I am collecting from and delivering to are pretty tight - although the car is road legal (so I could park the trailer near-by) I am not too comfortable with towing something of value that way (I know, I know it is done every day...!).

Just would prefer a small transporter if I could find one.

Cheers

Last edited:
Sounds like dedication to me :cool:

Must be a special car, looking forward to hearing the result :)

Good luck,

Will

I'd use a professional car transportation firm to do the job

It's illegal to use a recovery wagon to transport cars. VOSA stop & check recovery vehicles regularly to check on this - recovery is to retrieve undriveable vehicles, not for transportation of vehicles from A to B

The same applies to A bars used for towing cars - they're legal for recovery only

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

There are plenty of car transporter companies out there if you look on Google. I was looking at buying a C43 from Aberdeen and was considering getting to transported all the way back to London. I think I was looking at around £500.

Would you prefer a covered transported or would a flat-bed be ok?

I am averse to using a firm as I want to do it all at my own pace and that will mean realisticly 2 days work for them ie an overnight stop due to the distances involved.

If I can do it myself, I can set off early, chat with the seller for and hour or so, same for the garage etc and if I get back really late, no worries.

Not bothered about it being covered - an open flatback would be fine.

I am sure I have seen hire trucks in the padock at club race meetings, just can't remember whose?

Time to make phone calls I think.

:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom