Car tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palladino

Car
S350 amg line
Hi all
Hope everyone is keeping safe and well.
I have been following the site ,but have not posted much lately.
My question is about tyres again.
I have a 2017 S350D. I love the car and enjoy driving it ( not quite so much lately due to COVID). My only annoyance is the 20 inch continentals fitted, which give a noisy ride.
I am now considering changing them 18 in the hope the ride will improve, the problem is the lack of matching MO tyres. I was hoping to steer clear of continentals.
has anyone got some suggestions?
the 18 would be 245 x 50 x 18 front and 275 x 45 x 18 rear
Kind regards

peter

I have fitted Bridgestone all weather tyres. They have been a godsend the last few weeks with the snow . Rated b and a .

I'd look at your option sizes in Michelin and Goodyear.
Online sellers like Camskill and Black Circles are good value outlets and will deliver to the tyre fitter near your location.

Smart move. Our roads are not good enough for 20 inch rims and yes you will notice an improvement in ride and noise. I would second the recommendation for Michelins and Goodyear plus possibly Dunlop - but not Continental or Pirelli for noise. Take a look on one of the on line tyre sites and it will show the noise rating in dB. Note that one or two dB difference is significant - so a 70dB tyre will be noticabely quieter than a 72/73dB tyre.
Some people seem to like having the MO rated tyres; I have never seen a defintive explanation of what the difference is between MO and AO (Audi) and general unmarked so not bothered with the make specific and just stuck to a quiet rated premium brand.

My recommendation is to sart by choosing the tyre. If the tyre you want is available as MO, then go for the MO variant. If it is not, then buy the non-MO tyre. But don't limit your choice of tyres by making MO a prerequisite - it's not that important, and it will seriously limit your choice of tyres (the majority of tyres are not available as MO).

As for noise, check the EU rating, these typically range from 67dB to 73dB. This is the noise rating outside the car, not inside, but it's the only comparable parameter - few tyres have been tested for noise levels inside the car. And, the dB scale is logarithmic, not linear - so the lower, the better.

Personally, in recent years, I have been using Dunlop (in Europe they are part of Goodyear, who also own Fulda and Falken), they have low noise rating and generally do well in tyre tests. I find them very satisfactory (bought four sets so far). But there are many good brands out there - I have also bought Michelin and Continental on several occasions. It's very much a case of personal preference.

Last edited:
Mytyres allow you to sort tyres by noise rating. See for example:

It is worth noting that the noise rating of tyres relates to the drive by noise, not the noise you hear in the car. This has some relationship to the interior noise level, but does not account for the way different constructions and tread patterns transmit noise into the car.
Tyres like Goodyear SCT and Michelin 'Acoustic' tackle interior noise with acoustic foam bands inside the tyre, and do make a big difference.

Tyre Noise is measured from outside the car , so a well insulated car will be quieter inside than say a fiat panda 🐼. Tyres like rainsport are very grippy and quiet ,due to the manufacturer process

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you want reduced noise, increased comfort, good grip in wet and dry plus decent tyre life then I would recommend Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric tyres.

I have them in 18" size on my EClass.

Hi All
thank you again for all the advise. I have noticed that as I have got older, the ride comfort has taken over from wanting a sporty feel. I apologise for bringing up the tyre question again but it seems to be a big issue these days.
I was very interested in the acoustic tyres, but unfortunately cannot find an 18 inch version in my size. Its a shame they do not road test the car on our roads as I am sure that would make a difference in their choice of tyre, and wheel size. When I drive the car with the 20 inch rims on exceptionally smooth roads ( not found many) the car it very quiet and composed, but generally the roads here are pretty poor, hence my question.
I wanted some feedback as I am reluctant to buy new rims and wheels if the end result was not going to be an improvement.

Thank you again

Peter

Dropping from 20 to 18 inch , im pretty sure ride quality will improve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom