Car values gone mad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Ferrari bubble has burst at the moment. Last year, my 550M was worth 30% more than now. Brexit hasn't helped much.

In HK or the UK?

How's HK doing? There's a lot of interest in potential independence and China's reluctance of the same.

Interesting times there.

HK will be fully integrated with China by 2030. That is the vision and the way things are going.

My Ferrari's are in UK, just the F40 here but the prices of F40 are up everywhere due to the nature of the car.

550's and 355 in UK down.

The chance of a HK independance is close to zero, our UK government had its chance in the 80's to hold on to HK as opposed to saving face and looking good by handing it back over. There is resistance from almost every local HK person I know on the absorbtion of HK to mainland China.

I think if anyone has a chance to escape and run free it'll be Taiwan.

HK will be fully integrated with China by 2030. That is the vision and the way things are going.

My Ferrari's are in UK, just the F40 here but the prices of F40 are up everywhere due to the nature of the car.

550's and 355 in UK down.

The chance of a HK independance is close to zero, our UK government had its chance in the 80's to hold on to HK as opposed to saving face and looking good by handing it back over. There is resistance from almost every local HK person I know on the absorbtion of HK to mainland China.

I think if anyone has a chance to escape and run free it'll be Taiwan.

The others may go up and down (cars and investments), but an F40 is close to holding Gold. It's really a pretty solid investment.

I've never been in a position financially to own a Ferrari, but if I did it would probably be a front engined RWD one. I am fond of the 550/575 and also the 456MGTA.

The mid engined stuff has never done it for me. Bar the F40 of course, but that is the ultimate track day car bar none.

Personally I wouldn't knock the fact that some classic cars have hit exorbitant prices. The upshot of this is two fold. One, those cars will be cherished and not left rotting in a old leaky garage or barn until they're unfit to restore and two, these very expensive machines
will be cared for by the best in the business simply because they are worth caring for just from a monetary aspect alone. And the knock on effect of that is it keeps first class tradesmen in work and old skills alive.

Look at it this way. The owners make money, the auction houses or agents make money and the supporting businesses make money. Better that than the banks.

And if the whole classic market goes t1ts up it will give people with more modest means an opportunity to buy.

Last edited:
It's all a bit of a ponzi scheme though don't you think.

Scale it down and you have a dozen shipwrecked antique dealers all making a living from selling the one chair they salvaged to each other.

I'd hazard a guess most of the bidders at these auctions are on first name terms. Where is the new money coming from, the new money needed to keep the ponzi going?

Where is the new money coming from, the new money needed to keep the ponzi going?

I'd hazard a guess that a reasonable amount of it is lump sum pensions that are no longer requred to buy annuities.

I do agree that much of the financial specualtion at the moment is starting to show signs of Ponzi. There's a lot of irrational "investing".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom