Car/Van selling stories

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercedesDriver

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Jaguar XF Sportbrake 25t X260; Mini Cooper R50
A story of most recent car selling saga.
As you might know I'm selling my S212 and have advertised it on AT and C&C, or better to say trying to sell it. I knew it would be a long process as it is a Diesel and I'm in London but didn't know there will be so many total idiots basically wasting my time over the phone and some even coming to see the car and waste even more of my time. As I'm pretty emotionally attached to this MB, more than I have been attached to my previous ones, I've decided to take no bul$hit from anyone and am more than straightforward in expressing my feelings if felt to be played around.
So to cut it short.
Had a repeated calls from the buyer who was all apologetic in admitting my car price is "a bit" over his budget and his ignorance about cars and Mercedes in particular. After second call he decided to come and see the car.
At the agreed time he showed up with wife and kids and all were admiring how nice the car is and how good it is to have an automatic tailgate closure. Okay I thought, maybe they never saw it before.
When I asked him if he want to test drive it (he showed me his car insurance) he just responded that he prefers if I drive and he will sit next to me because he feels confident only driving the cars he owns. Strange, but I thought okay I'll drive you. At one point during the test drive he closed his eyes like he is concentrating really hard, my kids used to shut their eyes that way when they were learning multiplications, and all of a sudden opened them and said that he hears a whistle. Now honestly, there is absolutely no whistles, bangs or any other sounds except normal OM651 rumbling that can be heard. At the end of a test he asked if he could call AA or RAC to inspect the whistling on which I have just replied that it would be better if he visit his GP as it must be whistling between his ears. I was so glad the car was "a bit" over his budget.
So far this one was the oddest one. Those asking to get the car almost for free I wont even mention.
What's your car selling story?

Many years ago, I was selling my old Morris 1000 Traveller (the estate version with lots of wood, for younger readers) and before the bloke came to look at it I thought I'd nip to the car wash to make it look a bit more presentable. While the (automatic) car wash was doing its stuff I heard a loud clang and realised that one of the rear wings (which are bolted to the woodwork) had fallen off because the gentle pressure of the brushes was too much for the rotten woodwork it was attached to. (I had to nip back into the machine to retrieve the wing before the next person's turn.)

I had no time even to attempt a bodge before the prospective purchase arrived and needless to say he didn't buy it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom