Car Warranty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Delboy0127

Car
MERCEDES S213 E CLASS E220 D PREMIUM AMG LINE ESTATE 2017
My car was first registered 28 04 2017. with 3 year warranty to expire on the 27 04 2020 all agreed

3 year service plan took out 3 services over 3 years.

Car booked in for final service under service plan and first Mot for the 6th April 2020 by email and confirmed by dealer. Also to discuss possible warranty issue.

Email received from dealership advising service and MOT booked for the 6th April 2020 cancelled, they were going into total lockdown workshops closed with no indication as to when they would be reopening at that stage.

Mot extended by government 6 months no problem. Car service schedules extended by Mercedes no problem. No notification of any extension to the warranty by Mercedes.

Car eventually booked in by Dealership by email for first slot available for final service MOT and collection for the 24th June 2020. Note. Car now out of official Mercedes warranty period.

Car collected, Service completed, Mot completed. Warranty issue discussed various emails back and forth regarding warranty issue including a final one received as below.

Having taken the matter up by email with the Chief Executive officer for Mercedes Benz Cars UK a representative replied by email on his behalf and confirmed and quote " The Manufacturers Warranty on you car expired in April 2020" They did offer a 50% contribution towards the repair costs.

The question is should the Warranty period have been extended by Mercedes because of the lockdown period, and legally has my legal right to discuss any warranty issue including a possible repair under warranty been removed from me by Mercedes.

Any comments suggestions welcome.

You are raising a very good question.

Personally I think this is a matter for a Citizens Advice bureau or Which? magazine, or possibly even Trading Standards.

The reason I am saying this is this this an issue that likely affected many people in respect of a large range of goods, i.e. it is not limited to your particular experience with MB UK, and so I would assume that it has been raised before and that there's a definitive legal answer somewhere (which may or may nor be what you would want to hear).

You are raising a very good question.

Personally I think this is a matter for a Citizens Advice bureau or Which? magazine, or possibly even Trading Standards.

The reason I am saying this is this this an issue that likely affected many people in respect of a large range of goods, i.e. it is not limited to your particular experience with MB UK, and so I would assume that it has been raised before and that there's a definitive legal answer somewhere (which may or may nor be what you would want to hear).
Thank you for your very sensible response I think you may be correct this issue may have affected other people with a range of goods and services .

Some manufacturers extended warranties, but not because of any legal obligation.

You can still discuss any warranty work, but they seem to have already agreed to pay half and consider the matter finished.

If you could show they were aware of the defects before it expired, you’d be in a stronger position.

What is the issue with the car? As said, unless you can prove the item was defective during the warranty period, you may struggle. If you can prove it then keep at them. The struggle you will have is that it has already gone to the top and they have washed their hands with it made their decision.

Some manufacturers extended warranties, but not because of any legal obligation.

You can still discuss any warranty work, but they seem to have already agreed to pay half and consider the matter finished.

If you could show they were aware of the defects before it expired, you’d be in a stronger position.

What is the issue with the car? As said, unless you can prove the item was defective during the warranty period, you may struggle. If you can prove it then keep at them. The struggle you will have is that it has already gone to the top and they have washed their hands with it made their decision.
Unexplained cracking of touch pads. Excepted documented warranty issue and replace in America. American cars obviously made on another planet. Numerous cases in UK replaced under warranty Mercedes main dealer mechanic quotes has replaced loads under warranty. seems to be more prevalent in premium cars with Panoramic roofs.

Latest update on my post received from Mercedes
My claim for a cracked touch pad was refused in full as Mercedes claim the car was out of warranty.
Which technically is correct at the time of my eventual service date after lockdown my car was just over 3 years old.
The car was originally booked in prior to lockdown had the service and MOT been completed on that date, and the touch pad issue been investigated the car would still have been under warranty by almost 4 weeks, also in plenty of time for any issues to be resolved regarding the cracked touchpad . any comments welcome.

Your original post stated that the car was booked in for a service and "to discuss a possible warranty issue". I gather that this was before the expiry of the warranty. If (it is not entirely clear) you reported the fault within the warranty period and have not been responsible for the delay in it being investigated, then I believe it is immaterial that the warranty has now expired. If the grounds for rejection of your claim are solely related to timing, that is it would have been covered, then I suggest you go back and make the point that you reported the fault within the warranty period and that this has perhaps not been understood by MB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom