Car wash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Philc57

Car
C200 estate 4 matic.,,, zrx1200s, Ducati diavel
right here goes for an ear bashing
Used car bought from main dealer in June with the starguard cover on paintwork and interior ,
Up until now I've had it washed by our local car wash people at our local supermarket .
I've been told this is a bad idea because of the paint protection
Question am I doing wrong and will it be damaging to the paintwork ?
I've never really been into cleaning cars :oops:

Supaguard is better than nothing, almost.

Using a local car wash? Imho you would be better using a brilo pad.

If you are not into detailing just carry on. Or use a proper detailer.

The three potential issues with cheap hand car wash are (a) some use strong chemicals, e.g. Traffic Film Remover (TFR) or acidic wheel cleaner, (b) some use dirty water buckets and dirty cloth which hold grit and cause micro-scratches of the lacquer layer (aka swirle marks), and (c) some use of too-powerful jet washers.

All of the above are obviously in the interest of a quick turnaround, which is a must when you charge just £5 per car...

That said... they are not all bad. I have used some hand car wash establishments that damaged the paint on the car (not the Merc, thankfully) at the time, but the one I have been using for the past 3 years are actually quite good.

Of course, nothing compares to washing your own car yourself... which is also a very rewarding activity - for those who have the facility and the ability/agility :D

Last edited:
^ Summed up perfectly.

The one and only time I took my E55 to a car wash they put the jet wash nozzle too close to the paintwork and stripped off a couple of patches of clear coat. Didn't notice it at the time as I was inside the car. Never again.

As Markjay has said, it's all down to the people at the wash place - and how closely you stand and watch/comment first couple of times. I use the Waves franchise at Tenterden Tesco, they know I'm "particular" and are very good. Conversely, I once let the Waves franchise at Ashford Park Farm Tescos do the S204 - never again. Waves make a big thing about only using Autoglym products, but the difference is down to the people. The guys/gals at Tenterden know I'm a bit precious about my cars, so they treat them accordingly - but only because I often stand, watch and comment!

What I will never use is the drive-through type with the big rotatong brushes, one of those put microscratches in the clearcoat of my Rover 220 Turbo Vitesse in 1998, and I've never used one since.

You've asked the question and was expecting, in response, 'an ear-bashing' so you really know the answer.

It's really a question of what are your expectations and what are you happy with. If you know nothing about swirls or holograms or marring etc. etc, and just want a clean looking car at minimal cost, then what you are doing is fine.

But if you understand for example, what swirls are, how they are caused and what your paintwork could look like if you took greater care doing it yourself even with just the basic two bucket method, you would not use the facilities at your local supermarket. How many times has the sponge been dropped on the floor, onto the gritty tarmac; if they use buckets, how often is the water changed; has the chamois leather or whatever they use to dry it off just been round someone else's wheels before being used on your gleaming paintwork?

Until 5 years ago, I didn't know too much about detailing but now, having become interested in how to care for my car's paintwork with the time to do a proper job myself, I wouldn't dream of going to any sort of car-wash. Quite honestly, the Starguard that was applied by your main dealer probably went on to paintwork that had not been properly prepared beforehand (I know because my XKR had GardX applied by a main dealer who did not do any preparation) and it won't protect against the sctatches and swirling caused by your supermarket guys.

If you care for it, get,
  1. Paint correction
  2. Ceramic coating
  3. Ceramic friendly snowfoam (need snow foam lance for power washer)
  4. A Microfibre mit
  5. Into Twin bucket approach
  6. Wiping down with microfiber cloth
I find it all destressing and the kids love the snow foam..... Takes 30-40 minutes total. Good bonding / destress / neighbour chat / podcast listening time.....
20200910_075329.jpg
And the result speak fir themselves
20200910_080147.jpg20200910_080417.jpg
I

If you care for it, get,
  1. Paint correction
  2. Ceramic coating
  4. A Microfibre mit
I find it all destressing and the kids love the snow foam..... Takes 30-40 minutes total. Good bonding / destress / neighbour chat / podcast listening time.....
View attachment 101960
View attachment 101962View attachment 101963
I
Wow - 30 to 40 minutes total. I’ve just finished doing exactly that plus wheel woolies on alloys and it took me 2 hours going flat out. I’m talking about the time from getting everything out to putting it all away. I go more for a blotting technique with the microfibre towels, but surely that doesn’t add well over an hour!

Wow - 30 to 40 minutes total. I’ve just finished doing exactly that plus wheel woolies on alloys and it took me 2 hours going flat out. I’m talking about the time from getting everything out to putting it all away. I go more for a blotting technique with the microfibre towels, but surely that doesn’t add well over an hour!

I'm a pro. I do it twice a week to make it easier. I can do both cars inside and out in about 90mins. But that's taking my time. Which I don't have.

I'm a pro. I do it twice a week to make it easier. I can do both cars inside and out in about 90mins. But that's taking my time. Which I don't have.

Ever tried the coloured snow foam ? The kids would love it and it certainly gets the neighbours talking especially the pink colour 😱

Ever tried the coloured snow foam ? The kids would love it and it certainly gets the neighbours talking especially the pink colour 😱
Only seen it on the YouTube , bit bold of a colour for me :)

I only use my mates snowfoam that's designed for ceramic paint. Will ask him to add to his line up

I only use my mates snowfoam that's designed for ceramic paint. Will ask him to add to his line up

Had a look and most coloured snow foams include wax. I don't want wax on ceramic.

Why does beading count? In that moment yes woopdeedoo. Bit, seroiously wha does it add?
^ Summed up perfectly.

The one and only time I took my E55 to a car wash they put the jet wash nozzle too close to the paintwork and stripped off a couple of patches of clear coat. Didn't notice it at the time as I was inside the car. Never again.

Jeesus - I want one of those pressure washers.

It is all BS designed to take your money.

You've asked the question and was expecting, in response, 'an ear-bashing' so you really know the answer.

It's really a question of what are your expectations and what are you happy with. If you know nothing about swirls or holograms or marring etc. etc, and just want a clean looking car at minimal cost, then what you are doing is fine.

But if you understand for example, what swirls are, how they are caused and what your paintwork could look like if you took greater care doing it yourself even with just the basic two bucket method, you would not use the facilities at your local supermarket. How many times has the sponge been dropped on the floor, onto the gritty tarmac; if they use buckets, how often is the water changed; has the chamois leather or whatever they use to dry it off just been round someone else's wheels before being used on your gleaming paintwork?

Until 5 years ago, I didn't know too much about detailing but now, having become interested in how to care for my car's paintwork with the time to do a proper job myself, I wouldn't dream of going to any sort of car-wash. Quite honestly, the Starguard that was applied by your main dealer probably went on to paintwork that had not been properly prepared beforehand (I know because my XKR had GardX applied by a main dealer who did not do any preparation) and it won't protect against the sctatches and swirling caused by your supermarket guys

Yeah I expected some different opinions some for washing yourself and some not . I have washed the odd car now and then but never to the extent that some on this site do, that would near on kill me. I would take too much time ,having said that I'm gonna wash my own car on Saturday weather permitting and see how I do .
I have my ph neutral shampoo and mit and hose ready to do the deed

Car washes have their place, just decide whether it’s right for you. Expect that they won’t take as much care as you would - or an expensive car washer (“detailer”) would - and choose carefully to find one that you can trust and it will probably be fine, but not ideal.

If you need to use an automated car wash - or roadside/carpark car wash - then buy a white or very light coloured car as it will really help to hide resulting damage, and don’t buy a black or dark coloured as it will exaggerate the damage by a factor of 100!

sorry to hijack the thread but I have a couple of questions
1. what is ceramic and what effect will it have
2. the dealer put stargard on as part of the deal to buy the car,could I have the ceramic put on top of that.

If you care for it, get,
  1. Paint correction
  2. Ceramic coating
  4. A Microfibre mit
View attachment 101960
View attachment 101962View attachment 101963
I

Agree with most of this, but unless you're a pro like Lennox it will probably take around an hour or so.

Had my car washed from the local eastern Europeans for a while, some are good, some are bad. The ones I used were great as they'd do a snow foam pre wash! So can't knock all of them.

But now I wash my own cars using a nilfisk and good quality washing products and the two bucket method (though after a good pre-wash a regularly cleaned car arguably won't need 2 buckets) and I find it so satisfying. Takes a bit of time but as with Lennox I clean it with my son and he loves it too. Especially the snow!

My goodness me, now that’s really moving. It used to take me 2 hours to wash a car, but it often took longer as I’m a perfectionist.

Like you I would rather do other things so I accepted that a pro could do 95% of the job and that I could have that time back.

To begin with I used a high-end car wash in the city, so they could wash the cars whilst we went shopping or went out to eat.

Then I found a detailer who would come to me for maintenance washes, but he wound up the mobile business in favour of unit-only jobs.

So now I’ve found a detailer with a coffee shop around the corner. He washes my car, I work with a coffee. Perfect 👌🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom