Car WiFi/Mobile Hotspot for dashcam - how are you powering your LTE Wifi module?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TeddyRuxpin

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2x E350 CDI Sport W212s... for a bit
Hi,

I'd like to purchase a WiFi hotspot dongle so that my dashcam (Thinkware U1000) can be connected to the internet all the time. Something like this.

My dashcam is powered via the Thinkware iVolt battery pack, but it doesn't offer a USB out to power the above WiFi module.

The battery of the above WiFi module only lasts ~8 hours, so won't be great during parking mode (although I think this is 8 hours of constant use, which wouldn't be the case). Obviously the WiFi module is USB powered, and I suppose I could try to use one of those USB battery power packs, but the whole point of buying the official Thinkware iVolt battery pack is that those cheaper battery packs aren't safe to be left charging/powering something in +30C and -10C conditions, 365 days a year.

I could of course connect it to the glove box 12V charger and the WiFi module would get charged when driving, but that would mean that it's only using the WiFi module's internal battery and I'd like the connection to last longer.

So, for anybody who has aftermarket WiFi, how are you guys powering it for parking mode?

Cheers,

Ed

Last edited:
You can make your own USB power cable with something like this which you could connect to your iVolt battery pack, or try and find a ready made one.

Fyi I have a battery guard for my dashcam and when the voltage drops below 12.5V it stops charging the battery of the dash cam but at least I am able to start the car upon my return.

Not sure if this answers your question.

Hi,

There's only one output on the iVolt - are you saying make some kind of a splitter that would power the dashcam as well as the WiFi module? The iVolt doesn't have a USB output as USB can't supply enough power for the dashcam - it has it's own power cable output. I know more expensive battery packs have both an output for the dash cam as well as a 5V USB output, but they were twice the price of my battery pack.

Here's my battery pack: External Battery BAB-50 For Thinkware Dash Cams

I've turned off the battery monitoring because my car battery is not powering the dashcam - the iVolt battery is. I wouldn't be trying to power the WiFi module directly from the car battery.

I'm considering buying the WiFi module in the link above and seeing how much time you get in real-world usage before the battery gives up. Maybe turning the WiFi range down will give enough battery, given that there shouldn't be much data being sent while the car is parked.

Cheers,

Ed

I think splitting the output power of the iVolt may be a bit difficult if the dashcam and wifi module operate with different voltages, I am sure it is possible to create something but I think by the time you have finished it would probably have been cheaper (and neater) to purchase the more expensive battery pack.

Or perhaps get a 2nd but much cheaper battery pack with just USB output?

Not sure this helps, but power tool batteries such as Marita 18v 5ahhttps://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-632f15-1-18v-5-0ah-li-ion-lxt-battery/2721v - other suppliers available at possibly lower cost
Then add a usb outlet adapter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom