Car wipes recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScoobyDooLondon

Car
Mercedes S320 CDI 2008
Had massive bird poo on the bonnet and looks like it was there for a while. Luckily, managed to remove it using baby wipes but anyone care to recommend decent car wet wipes?

For removing bird poop I just wet some kitchen roll, leave it on the poop for 5 minutes and wipe it off.

It's more a case of what to do when out and about.

Hadn't driven the car for two days, took the nipper for a check up, and there it was.. a huge nasty and dried bird poo smack bang in the middle of the bonnet. And the day after I got a mini valet!

Luckily I had baby wet wipes.

Also, sometimes, it's nice to perform a spot clean when something happens, hence good to have wipes in the car. And for keeping the alloys clean.

Autoglym bird dropping wipes are okay but so are plain old baby wipes!

The poo removing wipes are a rip off. Think I'll just go with the Tesco Value wipes, can't go wrong.

Thought there may be specific car wipes but guess if it's unscented it can be safely used on paintwork.

Never!, ever! wipe off bird poo from your cars paintwork.
Birds eat grit etc to aid their digestion and thus comes out in the poo, you wipe it away and you will 100% scratch the paint. Dump those bloody wipes in the bin.
1. Speed is the essence here, get a soft cloth and wet it through with warm water.
2. Lay the cloth over the poo and leave for an hour or so, if you want spritz with a little dilute car shampoo.
3. Carefully lift the cloth off the area, the poo should now be soft and be easy to wash off with a hose pipe or pressure washer.
4. Polish the effected area and then wax over the top.
5. Do not be tempted to wipe at any time!

I find that Autoglym's bird dropping wipes work well - they seem to instantly soften and melt the droppings with no need to actually wipe, you can just wash it off.

+1 for J-Lad

Spot on regarding NOT "wiping" as such

Watch any pigeon pecking at the ground, ingesting grit deliberately!!!

Agreed that wiping the poo will most defiantly leave micro scratches - whether its from the poo or the traffic film on the car (both will scratch in the same way).

In this instance I'd say that the best option is the foam then: Supagard foam kit http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0083UEDMA/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

I cant agree with you guys on your method to wash off with a hose or jet wash as the initial question was refereed to on the spot removal - which in most cases you wont have a jet wash or hose to hand.

I'd rather have some micro scratches on the car from wiping an acidic bird poo at the time of discovery, rather than have lacquer oxidation/discoloration/burn/peel from an acidic poo which was left on the car for a week of sunny weather - before I had access to wash it off properly in order to avoid micro scratches.

Simply put - micro scratches will buff out, lacquer damage will not & will potentially spread with time.

I have the Supagard foam kit in my car with two MF cloth at all times, in addition to quick detailer and glass cleaner.

My latest preferred method of removing the poo is as follows: spray the poo with the detailer, leave it for a few minutes and lightly wipe away - when the poo is off, I will go over the area with a clean cloth and detailer again (lightly as the car is still dirty) - this will leave me with a clean spot on a dirty car until the next wash.

I'd only wait to use the hose on a poo if it happened on the day that I'm going to wash my car.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom