Car won't start, and.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenmercedes

Car
W203 C240 (LPG conversion) RIP
2001 W203 C240. On turning the key, car turns over strongly but won't start AND on releasing the key, it still continues to turn over till you turn the key to 'off'. What's up with the old girl this time?? Up to yesterday, it all worked 100%!

Edit

Its a grand for the Vito that I do know speaking to others.. the problem is that it all needs coded and I believe but don't quote me that its only the dealers that can do this.. :(

LOL That's more that I paid for the car! Just searched Ebay for ignition switches, and even a brand new MB in box for this model comes up at £80, so, I may get lucky. My Indie as far as I know has the facility to program stuff too...

New ignition switch on Ebay for W203

You can find working used ignition switch/key/ECU sets for pretty much any MB on ebay for around £150-250. No coding required.

Edit: posts crossed. You sussed it out. Make sure the part # is the same or compatible with your old one.

Dont spend untill you 100% sure its the switch .Or see what answers other members come up with

Good advice. I just tried starting her again and she fired straight up 1st go. This morning I spent 5 minutes trying to start her with no joy. Can't be having a 'sometimes' working though so need it sorted...

Good advice. I just tried starting her again and she fired straight up 1st go. This morning I spent 5 minutes trying to start her with no joy. Can't be having a 'sometimes' working though so need it sorted...

Intermittent faults are the worst. :(

Good luck!

It is designed to keep on turning after you have released the switch, until the engine starts.
That bit isn’t a fault.

Is that still symptomatic of a faulty switch, or do you think it may be something else then?

No, Stephen. I think that because the car won’t start, the circuit continues to apply power until either (I’m guessing) a timeout or you turn the ignition off.
So I don’t think the starter continuing to turn the engine because it won’t start is a problem.
On ny clk I just flick to the start position and release. It then turns over (just for a second) until the engine fires.

Is that still symptomatic of a faulty switch, or do you think it may be something else then?

Starter motor fault?

To be honest pal, there are a million possibilities. Get your indie to diagnose it.

On my clk I just flick to the start position and release. It then turns over (just for a second) until the engine fires.

That's exactly how my car works, until it went tits up this morning. Just tried it again, and it's perfect, very frustrating!

had a similar problem with a w210 220cdi and it was crank sensor, did seem to be worse when hot though but occasionally cold start.

I just had a thought! When it initially happened, and it was turning over without starting, the dash board lit up like a Christmas tree with every single warning light shining - does that help any diagnosis, or just a red herring?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom