car won't start when facing up a hill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

login_user

Car
CLK350 CAB Sport (w209)
Gent's,
if i park my car facing up a hill overnight it takes forever to start and strangely my command reverts to German.
if i park facing down hill or flat all is well.
the car is a CLK270 CDI 03reg

air leak in fuel lines? the fuel is going back into the tank so it takes ages to crank.....

Sorry to laugh but love the bit about COMAND reverts to German. :) I'm sure there's a fix to this.

You may laugh, but it's a pain. You try to start the car and it's english you try and start it again and it defaults to factory settings, so i have to set it all up again:mad:

Sounds like the COMAND is losing the power feed momentarily when you crank and reverting to factory settings.

Or the battery voltage is dropping enough whilst cranking the engine for the Comand to reset.
Time to get charging and battery checked by an auto-electrician.

+1 for an air leak on the fuel line.

on the front of the cylinder head, driven by the inet cam. it is very obvious when you follow the pipe from the filter housing - dont ask where the filter is though! ;)

this could be a bad earth somewhere, so have a good look round all the earth points, unfortunatly there are loads hope this helps!

on the front of the cylinder head, driven by the inet cam. it is very obvious when you follow the pipe from the filter housing - dont ask where the filter is though! ;)

Isn't the high pressure pump driven by the engine with the lift pump sitting in the tank itself?

Somewhere on the fuel feed there will be a non return valve to stop fuel draining back, may even be on the lift pump.

the 'lift', or supply pump is item 29. as i said i find the o-rings here most likely to cause this problem.

Attachments

• clk 270 fuel system.gif
    clk 270 fuel system.gif
    24.6 KB · Views: 119
Item number 200 is listed as 'delivery unit' - what's that?

B47015000183.1113.gif

Is that what you did to my CLK 270 Alex ? Mine seemed to play up when facing uphill. Remember when the fuel filter was replaced it settled down.

Is that what you did to my CLK 270 Alex ? Mine seemed to play up when facing uphill. Remember when the fuel filter was replaced it settled down.

paul, i think with yours the fuel filter was the clincher - unusual fault as it is a canister type. but yes, yours is the same and i certainly will have changed the o-rings.

login_user, changing just these two o-rings is a cheap and easy job. do bear in mind that there are at least 4x others to change also, but the ones at the pump are most common.

i realise this is an old thread but ive just started having this problem with my c220cdi estate. would i be correct in thinking that it is oring item 35 that you are saying to change first or are there o rings on the pipes that fit onto the pump

i realise this is an old thread but ive just started having this problem with my c220cdi estate. would i be correct in thinking that it is oring item 35 that you are saying to change first or are there o rings on the pipes that fit onto the pump

O rings on pipes first

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom