Car wrapping.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NOMONEYBUTAMERC

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
BMW X1 . Porsche 968 Boxster
My old 450sl was resprayed long ago by a visually handicapped person , or so it seems anyway.
Have seen a few local companies offering a "wrap" for around £1200.
A lot less than a respray , but how well does it last ? The car is used very infrequently and is always garaged . Anyone had a wrap done ,how long ago, and what problems , if any , should I expect?
I am thinking of having a metallic dark blue , or is plain finish better for long term , i.e. fading etc.

My old 450sl was resprayed long ago by a visually handicapped person , or so it seems anyway.
Have seen a few local companies offering a "wrap" for around £1200.
A lot less than a respray , but how well does it last ? The car is used very infrequently and is always garaged . Anyone had a wrap done ,how long ago, and what problems , if any , should I expect?
I am thinking of having a metallic dark blue , or is plain finish better for long term , i.e. fading etc.

Wraps can last up to 5 years

This is COMPLETELY dependent on the quality of Vinyl used... a good wrap from a company like Yianimize using 3M or equivalent will last well but is quite expensive.. quote for my CLK £1600 which I thought was actually not too bad

Is it £1200 including shuts and returns? This is only important if you are having a colour change

Any imperfections will show through the wrap, such as large stone chips etc. These can be sanded down before being wrapped but again add cost to this.

If it's garaged when not in use I guess you don't need to worry about it being exposed to the elements and the sun so it should last well..

These companies offering it cheap are often absolute amateurs, can you trust them to take off and refit trim without damaging it? And actually wrap correctly without bubbles etc... furthermore they may cut the wrap on your car hence scratching the paint even more

Ultimately if it's a well regarded company I guess you could go for it...

I remember a thread a while back of a member getting a whole CL resprayed in Hull for £500 and finish was brilliant... im sure there are bargain deals to be found... I don't know about you but for that offer of a good quality £500 respray is drive to hull get train back and get the train again in a week and collect it :)

The thread is under projects... CL500 I think

Cheers
Abs

One company definitely uses 3M product . I can remove the bumpers in preparation, but I think the front one would probably have to be painted due to the mouldings ( it has a Lorinser bodykit) . Door edges /shuts could be a bit of a problem as I would be looking at a much darker blue than its present shade .
Have to dash , mates just turned up , had his C180 hit by a lorry , who very kindly decided not to hang about !

msl are starting doing wrapping and would def be worth a call to discuss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom