Car written off, can I stop insurance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dizz

Car
CLK320 (w209)
The wife’s car has been written off as a total loss due to an accident that was not her fault, I have received a cheque from the insurance company although they haven asked for the V5/documentation.
Not sure how to proceed with this, can I just stop making the direct debit insurance/road tax payments, can I do this?
Thanks.

Best to speak with your insurer as you may not have paid enough of the annual premium

But essentially the policy is void ( as there is nothing to cover)

Best to speak with your insurer as you may not have paid enough of the annual premium

But essentially the policy is void ( as there is nothing to cover)

How much is enough?
I get your point as the car is now not legally allowed on the road therefore it should not have insurance.

As above: discuss the matter with your insurer.

Also note that unless and until the vehicle is reported to the DVLA as scrapped, or the Registered Keeper is changed from your wife to the Insurer, your wife is responsible for either having the vehicle insured, or on SORN. Assuming that the insurer is keeping the remains for their disposal, your wife should probably therefore notify DVLA that she has sold the vehicle to the insurer - but once again, you should discuss that matter with them.

How much is enough?
If the car has been declared a total loss, normally your wife would be liable for the full annual premium whether that was paid up front or it's being paid monthly.

How much is enough?
I get your point as the car is now not legally allowed on the road therefore it should not have insurance.

Depends on the terms of the contract you signed with your insurer. You did read them didn’t you...

But as posted, a total loss usually requires the full annual premium to have been paid. It an amount is still due, your insurer may offset that against the payout ( in addition to deduction of any excess)

You should stop paying the road tax.

Make sure you have a view on whether you will soon replace the car and then speak to your Insurer.

When the Audi died last year, it was simply a case of transferring ownership to the DVLA online (which automatically cancels the tax as well), and then notifying the insurance company that I had done so.

Yes, it's based on insurance at thd time if the incident

If the car has been declared a total loss, normally your wife would be liable for the full annual premium whether that was paid up front or it's being paid monthly.

I would have thought this was the case. It's a bit like paying for maintenance service monthly then saying "oh well, I've just had the car serviced this month through the service package, I think I'll stop the rest of the direct debit payments now since I don't need them for the rest of the year"

As above.

The OP is not buying insurance on mont-by-month basis.

It's an annual policy where the payment is spread over 12 instalments.

I was wrong..... Sort of

Cancelling car insurance after making a claim

You can still cancel your car insurance even after you have already made a claim. Unfortunately, you won't be able to claim a refund on any months you have already paid for. Plus, if you pay monthly, you will have to pay off the remainder in a final lump sum. This is the area of cancellation you ought to be wary of. If you have made a claim and want to cancel, weigh up if it's worth it, as it could be quite expensive.

How to cancel your car insurance policy - uSwitch

Usually you have to pay the balance of the annual policy if you wish to cancel after a claim. For most people a replacement car is purchased and the existing policy is amended and continued. But you will need to check what are the terms for your policy. Do you plan to replace the car quite quickly?

As for informing the DVLA, its quite straight forward to do online at Tell DVLA your vehicle has been written off

Didn't the insurer deduct any remaining premium from the claim proceeds?

Policies vary. Not all are satisfied after a total loss. As always, it’s in the documents.

I’ve been involved in two total loss incidents and the insurance was cancelled from the day the third parties insurer paid out and they didn’t ask for the rest of the years premiums...

UPDATE.....
My wife’s insurance company have said that the insurance can be cancelled or we could add £30 per month to continue with the new car.
If we were to cancel (and we were advised to do so on cost) then they would refund us £4
We were asked by the insurance company to register the car on the DVLA website as a total loss/scrapped and that then automatically cancelled the road tax direct debit.
So alls good.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Be aware you have to declare if you have had a policy cancelled when you apply elsewhere for a new policy...this can be held against you...

Be aware you have to declare if you have had a policy cancelled when you apply elsewhere for a new policy...this can be held against you...
No this isn't that scenario. That situation is where you have your policy cancelled by the insurance company through illegal activity such as false information or failing to declare. I. E. If you forgot to till them about a drink driving offence and they ask for an extra £2k to redress the account, they will cancel and you need to disclose both. In fact insurance companies now share that type of data.

Not if you cancel the policy amicably.

No this isn't that scenario. That situation is where you have your policy cancelled by the insurance company through illegal activity such as false information or failing to declare. I. E. If you forgot to till them about a drink driving offence and they ask for an extra £2k to redress the account, they will cancel and you need to disclose both. In fact insurance companies now share that type of data.

Not if you cancel the policy amicably.

Depends who cancels the policy.,.the policy holder or the insurer....it can go either way,,..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom