Car written off, can I stop insurance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Depends who cancels the policy.,.the policy holder or the insurer....it can go either way,,..

We have cancelled the policy not the insurance company and have a £4 refund coming, can’t see how this would affect future policies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is that not what I said? Not arguing just trying to clarify and not frighten the chap.

You were totally right mate. :)

Is that not what I said? Not arguing just trying to clarify and not frighten the chap.

Apologies if I misread you - I was trying to clarify that being penalised for a cancelled policy depends on who initiated it. After a write off payout something the insurer cancels the policy sometimes the policy holder (as here)

Either way, the OP (wife) will be penalised at renewal due to the claim. Such is life.

Where a policy is regarded as satisfied after a write-off, that’s not a cancellation by the Insurer for the purposes of this discussion.

Where a policy is regarded as satisfied after a write-off, that’s not a cancellation by the Insurer for the purposes of this discussion.

Correct. Completion of a contract early under its terms, does not mean it has been cancelled.

The wife’s car has been written off as a total loss due to an accident that was not her fault, I have received a cheque from the insurance company although they haven asked for the V5/documentation.
Not sure how to proceed with this, can I just stop making the direct debit insurance/road tax payments, can I do this?
Thanks.
I have already read this has been sorted , however I had an odd situation in similar circumstances.

My car was wrecked when an errant driver with no insurance crashed through my garden wall , sandwiching my car against the wall of my house ! The car was a total loss and obviously the incident was not my fault .

As was my contractual obligation, I reported the incident to my insurer . First they tried to uplift the car , which I told them I didn’t want , then they instructed a recovery company against my wishes , which I had to send away , and ended up blocking the car in with another to prevent it being taken when I wasn’t there .

They sent an engineer out who declared it a total loss - when I said I wanted to retain the salvage ( mainly because it had a very recent £6.5K new engine ) they flatly refused saying they ‘didn’t allow that .

At this point I retorted ‘ well it’s still MY car , and I’m keeping it ‘ , to which the response was ‘ well , it’s no longer insured , and it can’t be insured now ‘ . I replied that I intended to remove parts for use in my other cars and wouldn’t be pursuing a claim , and decided that was the end of the matter .

In the end I broke the car on my drive , kept what parts I wanted and more than doubled their paltry offer by selling parts I didn’t need . Then a pal in the fire service took the shell away for cutting up . I registered the vehicle as being broken up by myself with DVLA .

It was a few months later that I noticed on my bank statement they were still taking monthly payments - I phoned them up to ask why they were still taking payments for a car that was no longer insured and in fact no longer existed . ‘But you didn’t cancel the policy’ .... ‘ You told me it was no longer insured ‘ ... ‘well , we assumed you were going to replace it ‘ .... ‘ no - I have five other cars ‘ ... and so it went on .

In the end I got my broker to fight it out with them , securing a refund for the unused months , and getting my NCD entitlement reinstated - because , after all that I had never at any time stated I wished to claim on the policy , I only informed them of the incident and no monies were paid out .

The garden wall was taken care of by my house insurance ( and actually cost more than the car ) .

The woman with no insurance apparently got a slap on the wrist from the police .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom