Caravaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

agriff

Car
E320 CDI
Hi
Could anyone tell me if I need to get an additional oil cooler fitted for towing. I was told that the W202 needs one.
Thanks

Only for the gearbox, if its an automatic, cost me £160.00 on a Ford Granada auto. don't know how much for a Merc. hth

The car may have one already.
Originally they were miniture radiators but later became a coil of pipe in front of the radiator.

Check your handbook, my E300 diesel recommends additional cooling fans when having a tow bar fitted, but to be honest, when towing my van (1500KG) I have never heard them start up. Apparently the diesel engine can get a little hot with the air con on while towing :confused: especially up any long hills

My C220 w202 auto has an oil cooler as standard-look for the pipes going from bottom of radiator back to auto box.Tows my van no problem.

As a paid up member of the A303 Caravan and Horsebox Haters Association I really should not care.

However, the answer is that thermal stress on any Autobox is always increased by towing. Towing such abominations uphill is a particular stress because you will most likely not be in a lock up mode and the torque converter will be encountering a lot of fluid shear and hence generating quite a lot of heat.

Excessive heat is the enemy number one of an Auto. because it knackers the fluid quickly and it is generally held that 80% of transmission failures are related to fluid breakdown.

If an additional cooling kit is available at modest cost and I would fit one, otherwise the most realistic option is to change the fluid in the Autobox on a regular basis. Forget the "sealed for life" nonsense.

Max is about 20,000 miles if used for serious towing, 50,000 otherwise. In the US & elsewhere nobody thinks twice about fluid changes as a regular service item.

Geoff2 said:
Check your handbook, my E300 diesel recommends additional cooling fans when having a tow bar fitted, but to be honest, when towing my van (1500KG) I have never heard them start up. Apparently the diesel engine can get a little hot with the air con on while towing :confused: especially up any long hills

Your car has an oil cooler, autobox oil cooler and twin electric fans as standard, or at least it should have.

You won't hear the fans as they are slow start and only run at full speed when teh engine is very hot and the aircon is under full pressure.

It just goes to show the brotherhood of the MB club that even a caravan hater wants to help. Thanks for the advice chaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom