Carb Tuning?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abbos

Car
W202 + W115
Hey everyone,

Hope you all enjoying the sun (where it is shining) and the easter weekend!

I'm looking at buying a classic 230/4 (w114/115?) and the current owner has said that it could do with the carbs being tuned.

I am not that mechanically minded but is this something I can do or should it go into a garage? If it's a garage job will my local indie be able to do it?

Thanks,

iirc these engines use a stromberg variable venturi carburettor.

These have a habit of the needle and sometimes the jet wearing and the diapragm splitting but other than that they are simple and reliable.

Early versions were tuned by adjusting the jet by use of a nut underneath, later versions adjust the needle by use of a special tool down the damper tube.

Yes you could do this yourself as it is really easy. Check for vacuum leaks then set the mixture so the engine runs the best then lean off very slightly.

Well remember you will need a gas analyser to set the CO levels. But yes, they are fairly easy to tune. You can also buy a rebuild kit from a place called Carburettor Hospital for about £70.
I did this on my old W123 engine.
Ive got lots of spare carbs lying around so if you get it and need any parts just let me know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom