Carbon engine clean

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

demetrios

Car
R129 500SL
Hi all.
One of my staff just had a carbon engine clean from a remap company in shropshire. Says improvement is crazy.

Anyone know of these procedures?

On a 1992 500SL would it be worth doing?

As far as I have heard it’s pointless.

Proper servicing is all you need, perhaps add something like Millers or Forté to the fuel or use premium fuels for the higher quality detergents.

It should make a difference if the engine is a high-miler or if it did mainly short journeys throughout its life. These will lead to carbon deposits embedding themselves in the combustion chamber and on piston crowns and valves.

Regular use of fuel additives or of premium fuels however should eliminate this issue to begin with. Both contain detergents that will prevent carbon deposit from formulating in the first place.

But if you just bought a car with unknown history... an engine decoke might not be a bad idea. Here are a couple:

Engine Carbon Clean | DPF Cleaning | EGR Cleaning | Injector Cleaning

Engine Carbon Clean - Home -The Ultimate 30 Minute Engine Detox

And here's one you can do at home:

Ecotek PowerBoost

I should add that I regularly use premium fuels (containing detergents) so never needed the services of these firms or products... so can't say how good or bad they are.

Some direct injections engines are prone to carbon build up on the inlet valves as when fuel is squirted directly into the combustion chamber, the inlet valves are no longer washed by the incoming mixture. For engines that have this problem then cleaning procedures are legitimate and required to restore full performance. When you add that some direct injection engines also suffer from fuel dilution of the engine oil, it's still a developing technology for the affected manufacturers.

I'm not aware that any of MB's direct injection engines have either problem.

Last edited:
My car has less than 80k miles on it and its nearly 27yrs old.
I only drive it around 2000 miles per year and probably only 500 of tbose are long distance of 30+ miles there and back.

Its currently in storage til april so was thinking it may be worth if claims are correct.

For record i only use v power or bp ultimate or tesco 99 octane

..For record i only use v power or bp ultimate or tesco 99 octane

In this case engine decoking is unlikely to have any significant effect on your car .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom