Carbon interior?

Carbon wrapped interior?

• Looks fantastic-do it!!

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • Please don't do it!!

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
A guy on MBworld has replaced his metal trim with carbon wrapped trim. What do we think?

Last edited:
Is this not an option on new Mercedes anymore?

That is the reason i went for a 'Sport' trimmed 202, over a classic or esprit.

:thumb:

Sorry to say, but it's a big no-no from me.

IMHO carbon fiber is about being light weight not asthetics.

As for carbon fiber look-a-like wraps....they're just wrong.

I think it looks good, some people dont like bright, shiny trim in the cabin.
Doing a similar thing in my old w124, but only because the wood trim peices are cracked.

I may have some difficulty with this mod as my family are starting a petition against me doing it! I fear this is a Marmite mod!

I may have some difficulty with this mod as my family are starting a petition against me doing it! I fear this is a Marmite mod!

"Marmite mod" LOL:D We could start a new thread for that list!

i think its nice got carbon trim on my w202 as well were did you get the carbon wrap from

I like it, but then I would say that as my car had it when I bought it.

It beats boring old wood which belongs in 1960s Jaguars and Daimlers.

As for carbon fiber look-a-like wraps....they're just wrong.

That's a matter of taste and personal preference. There are plenty of textures and surfaces used in building a car interior - many of which are not "real". Sparkling "chrome" soft touch "leather" smooth "wood" effects can all be plastic and rubber substitutes.

R2D2 - I think they look great, so I say go for it (but that's just my personal taste) :thumb:

Have a look at carbon skinning...I am going to go down this route. Looks much better and OEM looking. And at least its real carbon fibre!

Any type of aesthetic/cosmetic changes to a car , inside or out , are really down to individual choice . If you like it , do it. I personally do not give a toss if others like/dislike my car or modifications . Since I have no inclination to sell my 450SL for quite some time , I prefer it to suit my taste rather than anyone else.

Have a look at carbon skinning...I am going to go down this route. Looks much better and OEM looking. And at least its real carbon fibre!

That's the point of this wrap, it saves you the expense of skinning as it is real carbon fibre made by 3M.

That's the point of this wrap, it saves you the expense of skinning as it is real carbon fibre made by 3M.

Its not real carbon fibre though - its an immitation vinyl.

Have a look at this: Carbon fibre skinning kit - cover / wrap your own parts in carbon fiber - Carbon Mods

Its not that much dearer for that kit and gives a far superior finish that will look OEM. I think you might get most of the pieces complete with the 0.3m2 roll you get in the kit. The 3M vinyl is matt and textured to touch. No car would ever come with this finish.

Just my thoughts though and I am going to give this a bash - can post it up if anyone is interested.

That's a matter of taste and personal preference. There are plenty of textures and surfaces used in building a car interior - many of which are not "real". Sparkling "chrome" soft touch "leather" smooth "wood" effects can all be plastic and rubber substitutes.

That's true, I was only expressing my opinion :)

Any type of aesthetic/cosmetic changes to a car , inside or out , are really down to individual choice . If you like it , do it. I personally do not give a toss if others like/dislike my car or modifications . Since I have no inclination to sell my 450SL for quite some time , I prefer it to suit my taste rather than anyone else.

You're always going to have this unless you buy a car new exactly to your taste.

The same thing stretches to other things like houses - you could be selling a house and spend thousands doing up the house with new this that and the other only to find the buyer does not like it and would rip it out.

Saying that, there is an equal chance that someone else might like what you have done - as I did with the carbon wrap in mine (I didn't know it was a wrap at first until I spotted 'folding' at one point) as I hate wood.

I like the look. I also like the piano black wood trim too. Mine is silver and it's a bit boring.

In my own humble opinion.......... You know what is next.

Leave it alone. Stop picking you'll make it bleed.

I quite like it - was looking at the old wood trim in the 55 over the weekend thinking about doing the same.

Still very 50/50 on this as the whole car is factory original and the good and evil on my shoulders are fighting over it..

Carbon fibre wrap in a w124

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom