Carfest South

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
Well, last week SWMBO declared she would like to go to Carfest and we should both be parked in front of computers on Thursday morning at 8:00am to try to get tickets. After multiple refreshing of the screen both of us got logged in at about 8:10. She was a split second in front of me and called out "I'm in". I called out to her "book for Saturday" then proceeded check some emails & to shut my PC down. I then walked into the kitchen where she was and she excitedly announced that she had got weekend camping tickets:eek:.

The last time we went camping at an "event" was when we were courting (British Grand Prix, Brands Hatch, 1984 iirc). Since then the tent has rotted away (so have I:doh:).
For the record, by the time Carfest comes round I will be 60:rolleyes:.

Any festival goers have any tips to smooth our experience after 35 years absence from camping?

Rent a motorhome for the weekend (or book a hotel!).:D:D:D

Thanks, but I bet all hotels around are fully booked.
Extra for campervan/caravan £101 plus another £64 if you want an electric hook up:eek:

Just checked for hotels on Booking.com. Among the first few entries are a couple charging £1000+ for 2 nights:wallbash:
But found a decent looking one at Newbury, £312.30 for 3 nights including breakfast:thumb:

That's cancelled the shopping trip to Go Outdoors this afternoon.

Edit
Anyone want to swap some camping tickets for day tickets?

Wise move! We did something similar 6 years ago for the Le Mans 24 hour, bought tent etc as it was little more than renting a pre-erected one at the site. Second night there was so cold, wife put extra clothing on to walk down to the toilets, came back and added another coat before getting back into bed! I, of course, being a good husband, did not complain too much at the iceberg cuddling up to me! We were both about 60 at the time.

All the camping gear we bought swiftly made its way to our daughter and SIL, and they have used it.

Laverstoke Farm is owned by Jody Scheckter.

You don't normally expect to find Water Buffalo in Hampshire

This is not far away: Bombay Sapphire Distillery - Laverstoke Mill

As for Chrisfest itself......how shall I put this......it attracts a very broad audience from the general public many of whom have only a very limited interest in cars.

Evans seems omnipresent via the PA system. Which depending on your POV may be a very good or very bad thing

Bad thing for me as can't stand that annoying Evans voice and manorisms. I've stopped listening to the R2 breakfast show when travelling in the mornings since he has been on.

I'm with Rockits on that subject - looking forward to being able to put radio 2 on before 9.30, only a month or so to go!

Not a lover of the replacement DJ's for either the breakfast or the drive time shows. I find these presenters too "gushy" and I don't want to hear about their family life. (a bit like Evans i suppose)

Spotted that on the map earlier today.
SWMBO is partial to a drop of gin so that may be an option if they are open on bank holiday
Monday
She has already said that she wants to visit Highclere Castle which is close to our hotel
Bad thing for me as can't stand that annoying Evans voice and manorisms. I've stopped listening to the R2 breakfast show when travelling in the mornings since he has been on.
Bring back Wogan?

Have done the brewery tour and the distillery tour at Adnams at Southwold. Did the brewery in the morning & the distillery in the afternoon. Good day out - hic!

Now you have to buy all the camping gear including massive tent, canopy and carpets. Waterproof and thermal clothing plus luxuries like inflatable bed, sofa, cooker, fridge so good luck with that one as women will buy at least two of everything that's top of the range in go outdoors to make life more bearable for the duration :D

We booked (day) tickets a few years ago. I bailed out and sold my ticket as the music acts weren't for me and done a south coast tour instead. From memory they don't say who the headliners are until January/February? The wife went with some work colleagues and enjoyed a nice sunny day.

She also went this year and it was chucking it down all day.

AND you do realise the you'll have to trial a camping weekend before you do carfest? Just so you know how it all bolts together of course ;)

A visit to Bombay Sapphire is interesting and making your own cocktails is fun although the shop is quite expensive and a supermarket down the road is much cheaper for the same products.

If you haven't blown at least £2k on the weekend, you haven't lived :eek: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom