Carley and it's worthwhileness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CreepyCoupe

Car
E350 Coupe C207
On the back of my mirror tilt thread. I was thinking of investing in Carly to make a few changes. I,ve used Bimmercode on my BM's before and found it worth the £65. Just wondered if anyone had used Carly and is it worth £85?

Last edited:
Ah...spelt incorrectly...it's Carly. Had to Google it. These new fangled models.

Looking on the Carly website it doesn't look like you can change or enable any car features on a Mercedes. The adapter is expensive IMO.

Carly on Mercs is 'read only', i.e. no coding like on the Beamers.

The only way to code a Merc is via STAR (or potentially also some higher-end systems e.g. Delphi or Sanp-on, but even so only in a very limited fashion).

That said, Carly is a great scanner, I do used it (as well as iCarsoft), though as said not for coding.

Actually, one of the versions of Carly allows limited commands upload on certain (not all) MB models... not sure if it helps though.

Markjay. Thanks for your replies. You might have saved me a disappointing £85 outlay. However a good scan tool isn't a bad thing to have.

I have both Carly for Mercedes and iCarsoft MB v2.0, for the money there's nothing better out there.

Actually, one of the versions of Carly allows limited commands upload on certain (not all) MB models... not sure if it helps though.
...from memory you can upload custom messages that will appear on the instrument cluster display, but that's about it. On some (not all) MB models.

Thought about Carly for the VAG cars we have in the family.

Decided it was a no due to the ongoing subscription model, around £73 PA at the moment for us to cover Skoda & Audi.

Decided it was a no due to the ongoing subscription model, around £73 PA at the moment for us to cover Skoda & Audi.

Get yourself a VCDS, invaluable for VAG cars, especially if you have two

Get yourself a VCDS, invaluable for VAG cars, especially if you have two

Had seen some talk of VCDS but to be honest had/have no idea what it is or where to get. ;)

We have 2 Skoda here, a Leon and two of the close mates have "big" Audis, an A7 and an R8.
Have always fancied coding out the stop start on the Fabia rather than pushing the button every time we start them.

I use Carista with my Audi.

Had seen some talk of VCDS but to be honest had/have no idea what it is or where to get. ;)

We have 2 Skoda here, a Leon and two of the close mates have "big" Audis, an A7 and an R8.
Have always fancied coding out the stop start on the Fabia rather than pushing the button every time we start them.

There are 2 versions, the older HEX-CAN which will do everything up to around 2015 cars and some modules on newer. This has unlimited use on as many vehicles as you want but are no longer sold and prices are high. The newer V2 (which I have) comes with either 3 VINs, 10 VINs or Unlimited VINs and can do both the newer and older cars. You can read and clear codes on as many cars as you want but coding and service reset will 'use' up a VIN. The number of VINs can be upgraded at any time. The level is close to dealer level as you can code and do virtually anything you want except some key coding anything that requires the VAG equivalent of SCN coding. They can be purchased from dealers such as Gendan and also have their own help forum for support (Ross Tech). The 10 VIN is best value for home use.

There are 2 versions, the older HEX-CAN which will do everything up to around 2015 cars and some modules on newer. This has unlimited use on as many vehicles as you want but are no longer sold and prices are high. The newer V2 (which I have) comes with either 3 VINs, 10 VINs or Unlimited VINs and can do both the newer and older cars. You can read and clear codes on as many cars as you want but coding and service reset will 'use' up a VIN. The number of VINs can be upgraded at any time. The level is close to dealer level as you can code and do virtually anything you want except some key coding anything that requires the VAG equivalent of SCN coding. They can be purchased from dealers such as Gendan and also have their own help forum for support (Ross Tech). The 10 VIN is best value for home use.

Thanks, HEX-V2® USB £225 for 3 VINs or £299 for 10. Got to be better value than £70 PA with the Carly.

Thanks, HEX-V2® USB £225 for 3 VINs or £299 for 10. Got to be better value than £70 PA with the Carly.

And can do a lot more :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom