Carp Service by Royal Mail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baron_Samedi

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK200K
Righty...

Postie is seen walking up the path bearing a wee package of sidelight bulbs :thumb: and it won't (hmmm) fit the letter box.

Does he ring the bell?

No way, he is pre-armed with their little cards (dated 14/10 and not the actual delivery date of 15/10) which he pops straight into the letter box and hot foots it away.

Which means I have to go to the sorting office and collect my package in person.

Question is, why would he have cards ready to go and not ring the door bell?

And then, do I phone their customer services and ask, or forget it as one of those things?

AHA!!! I caught a postie the other day doing exactly that! Had a small package (but just too large for the 'box) and he proceeded to write out his little card, without knocking. As he pushed it through the door I opened it - he jumped back like a scolded cat! I asked him why he didn't knock before posting the card and he just said he "didn't have time"!!!! WTF!!! Shall I report him?? :D

My dilemma exactly, except mine had his cards pre-filled....

Do we report it and wait for post to go "missing"?

Yeah, that's why I haven't! Mind you our posties change with the wind! For the last 2 days we've had an eastern european guy who I think doesn't speak much English as he has so far delivered wrong post each time! Grrrr!

A lot of people are out of work and would be glad of a job...

No way, he is pre-armed with their little cards (dated 14/10 and not the actual delivery date of 15/10) which he pops straight into the letter box and hot foots it away.

We've also noticed the little cards appearing while we were in. I think some of the individual posties are so used to houses being empty during the day they don't bother waiting if it looks empty.

We've also had packages left at the back of the house with no card or other note put through the door to say that it's been left.

Not that couriers are that much better. While our house was being painted a courier dropped off a new iPhone with the painter's assistant for the house next door. I wonder how often that happens and the package disappears?

Righty...

Postie is seen walking up the path bearing a wee package of sidelight bulbs :thumb: and it won't (hmmm) fit the letter box.

Does he ring the bell?

Which means I have to go to the sorting office and collect my package in person.

Question is, why would he have cards ready to go and not ring the door bell?

And then, do I phone their customer services and ask, or forget it as one of those things?

Funnily enough I had a similar thing yesterday and I had to pick up my package this morning. Ordered some new fancy number plates for SWMBO new car. On arrival home card through letter box " we tried to deliver your parcel but you were not home" reason "Too large for letterbox" It might have been if he was trying to post it sideways but its a long thin package that would have easily gone through. Now I could understand if it needed a signature but it didn't. Went to the collection office this morning as it said open at 7am so I was there on the dot, they finally turned up at 7:20. They do things like this and then look towads public sympathy when they are striking!! Think its the same old problem a lot of very good post office workers but then a minority who could not give a toss

Carp Service....is this the new O'fishal standard we can expect?:eek::rolleyes:

Yup! It really p's me off when I see these guys goofing up and not caring about their job! Don't they realise how lucky they are to be employed! :mad:

The postie is under pressure to complete rounds within a time scale so it is not his fault that he does not have time to ring door bells!

Blame the system, do'nt shoot the messenger!

I take your point, BUT, it would have been quicker for him to ring and hand me the parcel than to write out his card! If the house looked empty I could understand, but cars were in the drive and my office light shinning through the window!!!

I don't mind the cards normally. Other than I am convinced our postie does this when they are too large to carry easily. But he still puts wait 5 hours and they won't 'find' them at the office until after the five hours.

It's also a little annoying as I can't hear our buzzer from my office, so have to work in the house when I get given loads if while you are here jobs........

I have no sympathy for the posties. This strike is going to kill their business. Do they honestly thing that people will not find other delivery companies or ways of sending communications?

Listened to an interesting Radio4 documentary from various parties who had tried or resisted the privatisation thorn.

If the card system is used properly, no problem.

But when he doesn't even ring the bell when there is a car on the drive and has the things pre-filled it really is taking the biscuit!

Cards are pre-written with date, takes seconds to add time whilst walking to your door.

Scenario: Ring bell, wait , ring bell no answer = 40secs?

Ring bell, wait , answer, talk to punter = 60+ secs?

Fill card, post card = less than 10 secs.

Multiply above by 100's

Do the math.

Sad world we live in, thats just one of the reasons they want to strike about!

If they are going to do that, why the heck do they take packets with them?

Surely they are breaching the contract to deliver...

OK, math point made. But why should I have to take over an hour out of MY day to collect a parcel that would have taken him 60 seconds to deliver to me, as he should? After all, it's not my fault if the poor postie is under pressure to meet ridiculous targets is it?! Maybe he could walk a little faster to compensate? (tongue in cheek, but you get my point!) If I took that attitude with my clients, I wouldn't have any!!

If they are going to do that, why the heck do they take packets with them?

Surely they are breaching the contract to deliver...

Its not just packets they are delivering, normal letters as well as...

Speak to any postie, their time restraints are just nuts!

As I said, this is one of the main reasons they want to strike!.. its nothing to do with the money, they are being asked to achieve the impossible and want their T&C's to be realistic!

My postie hates his job, and would happily leave it if something else could be found.

Speak to any postie, their time restraints are just nuts!
So what would happen if they all gave the service they should and a route took extra time? Surely if they proved the extra time was totally necessary to do the job PROPERLY the RM management would have to look again at time and motion... ? Or am I not living in the real world anymore?

My point is, that if packets pose such a problem they should be left behind and a card dropped in the letterbox as a matter of procedure.

But... the Royal Mail is willing to accept the contract to deliver packets and letters but is failing in the matter of packets, at least.

If the problem is a time and motion issue then Royal Mail need to sort things out with their supply chain asap. Note that I am not necessary blaming the potentially poor sod at the pointy end for this matter...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom