Carpet Annoys me!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John N

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Peterborough. - (Scot on Permanent Tour!)
Car
GLB 220D 4Matic P+
The C Class has Carpet up to about Knee level in the Front Foot wells, I have just started to notice that the Carpet to the Left in the Drivers Foot-well where my Left Leg Leans against it, irritates my skin, even through my Trousers! :eek:

I'm beginning to worry that I'm Allergic to my Cars Carpet! :dk:

Anyone else noticed this? :confused:

You call that annoying, this is annoying.

Attachments

• giphy.jpg
    giphy.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 86
Would you rather it was plastic in those areas? It all adds to the sound deadening and plushness of the interior.

Maybe some of that self adhesive plastic film that you put indoors when decorating might help to see if the irritation goes away.

On a more serious note. Carpet allergy is a well documented issue and very uncomfortable and annoying issue for the sufferer. Google reveals a host of suggestions most of which involve removing the carpet. I would suggest that as a temp measure you simply cover it in something that you know does not cause an issue. f this works then you know the route you will have to take. The alternative is to remove all carpets, fit a roll cage and race seats along with some graphics on the body work.

Daughter No. Is an asthma and eczema sufferer (severe) this meant we had to remove all carpets from our house, install wood flooring and use hoovers that have HEPA filters. There are sprays available on the market that can help keep dust down. But it depends on whether it is contact with the actual carpet or the mites, dust etc within the carpet that is causing your issue. YOu could try spraying with one of the 3M stain resistant coverings (the ones that make liquid run off rather than stain) and see if it helps.

Last edited:
You might be allergic to something that 'lives' in the carpet, be it pollen from your shoe soles or flees from your dog etc, as oppressed to the carpet material itself. A thorough hoover and clean with strong detergent will be a good start.

I see you have a 4matic C class. It may be that the transmission tunnel is slightly wider than normal to accomodate the transfer gearbox and front prop shaft. This means it might intrude more into the footwell causing friction on your leg through your trousers? As Bruce has suggested some form of smooth covering over the carpet might help to both isolate contact and reduce friction? Other possibility is there is a thick layer of insulation/sound deadening material under the carpet which could be removed leaving the top carpet layer for appearance. This will only work if its a friction situation rather than an allergy one? The down side might be increased transmission noise

I do think the transmission tunnel is rather WIDE and could be Friction causing the Irritation, I will have to experiment with either Covering the Carpet or Covering my Leg!

Another possibility may be the fact that the Interior has been Treated with Stargard and whatever the Gtechniq Fabric Coating is, but I can't remember if I had the problem before I had the Detailing Done! :confused:

What to do Now:

Wrap my Leg in Cling Film, Fablon, Shave the Carpet, Left Leg of a Knights Armour or Try a dearer Suit Cloth! :dk:

What to do Now: Wrap my Leg in Cling Film, Fablon, Shave the Carpet

Shave the leg, wrap the carpet..? :crazy:

John on his way to work earlier

Attachments

• img_9243-edit.jpg
    img_9243-edit.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 11
This is true.... Many years ago, as young computer engineer, I was repeatedly called back to a company who complained about one particular screen where the screen was "shaking". I changed everything, including the cables. Eventually I replaced the entire terminal. Next day I was called back again - same fault. This time I was unable to get there until later in the day, where I was able to meet the actual user, who suffered the issue. As she sat down at her desk to demo the issue, I heard a faint whirring. She had an electric prosthetic leg. The fix was to wrap the underside of her desk (not her leg) in tin foil.

There is always a fix. Just depends how much we want to find it.

As she sat down at her desk to demo the issue, I heard a faint whirring. She had an electric prosthetic leg. The fix was to wrap the underside of her desk (not her leg) in tin foil.

Aye right! :ban:

Just wait till young Ringway reads this one.......

I used to get carpet burns on my knees. Those were the days...

Me too, but only at orgies.

Terrible thing that shagpile.

I stopped going to orgies in the end because I never knew who to thank on the way out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom