carplay w176 retrofit 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rollmesome

Car
Mercedes-Benz A180d
hello

i recently got an A180 on lease and was told carplay was a standard feature of the car. i went ahead and ordered it however found out last week that the car in fact did not have this option and that it was incorrect information.

obviously, i know this kind of breaches our contract etc. but i did not want too much hassle so i offered to buy the SD card for the car to use navigation and the lease company reimburse me (which they have offered).

before i go ahead with that, and in essence updating our contract, can i confirm that adding the carplay is not an option at all (the lease company tells me they spoke with Mercedes who told them this was a hardware modification and there was no way to add this to the car)

car is A180D SE
2016 (16 plate)

Thanks in advance

At the moment the retrofit is only available if you have COMAND NTG5*1 (but not W212 E class). And you only have Audio-20 ..

Richard

Ah oh I guess getting the SD card for navigation is my only option. Thought it was maybe the dealer who was being lazy. I was u see the impression 2016 a class had CarPlay as a standard feature

Ah oh I guess getting the SD card for navigation is my only option. Thought it was maybe the dealer who was being lazy. I was u see the impression 2016 a class had CarPlay as a standard feature

I thought it did. The no2 USB port in the centre console should have a different symbol on it than the other one. If it has plug the lightning lead from the iPhone into that and try it.

http://photos.appleinsidercdn.com/gallery/15241-11388-Screenshot-2015-12-11-223550-m.jpg

Last edited:
The brochure says...

Screen_Shot_2016_07_30_at_13_08_50.png

Unlike Mercedes to get stuff so wrong. :D

The brochure says...

Screen_Shot_2016_07_30_at_13_08_50.png

Unlike Mercedes to get stuff so wrong. :D

What do you mean by Mercedes? MBUK or the dealer?

Throwing unhelpful statements like that doesn't fix the problem.

Is the car actually a 2016 car or is it old stock registered as a 16 plate?
Does the car actually have CarPlay and it's pilot error?
Is there a fault in it that stops it working? I've had one that didn't work until a reset was done in the audio 20 settings.
The lightning connector also has to be in the USB slot 2. It won't work in slot 1.

I think we need to hear from the car owner before slagging off Mercedes..

Jesus wept.
Do you find people move away from you at parties? :D

I do wonder wtf has happened to this forum recently, used to be loads of giggles.

It was a bit of light hearted banter, as they tend to get it all very wrong, so very often when it comes to spec.
Car Play has been something they have got wrong since they announced it a couple of years back, already been a lot of unhappy customers.

It was in reply to you saying that in the brochure (that you supplied a link to) that it says the SE has Car Play, it then says in the spec that all have it as standard, hence me posting the image.
Mercedes can't even get the spec right in their brochure, so take the spec. with a pinch of salt. when it comes to Mercedes.

The brochure lists on the SE as having it when discussing model variants, but at the end say they all have it.

Unfortunately, unlike BMW etc. if they miss spec of your car they don't tend to offer to retrofit it. It may only be a small option, but it is a very important one for many.

Last edited:
Hi. Gizze was right that the CarPlay should have been provided. I explained I only needed this to use maps (cheaper than the Nav) so it being Mercedes' fault they provided the SD card for free.

They did say that the car was manufactured April 2016 so shouldn't have it at first but I argued simple tort (advertised) features and here we are. Free sat Nav so not too bad.

Might not buy a Mercedes as my second car though. Poor experience with the way they tried to defend their mistake .

Thanks for everyone's response by the way!

I thought it did. The no2 USB port in the centre console should have a different symbol on it than the other one. If it has plug the lightning lead from the iPhone into that and try it.

http://photos.appleinsidercdn.com/gallery/15241-11388-Screenshot-2015-12-11-223550-m.jpg

Strange I do have that port in the car and tried all sorts of combinations to get it to work (different lightning cables etc) but I can see no option of CarPlay in audio 20. My understanding is that it should be where telephone/media selection is.

Might try previous posters suggestion of restart with dealer on Saturday. Mercedes keep telling me it's a hardware thing rather than a software so unable to provide

:rock:

Is the car actually a 2016 car or is it old stock registered as a 16 plate?
Does the car actually have CarPlay and it's pilot error?
Is there a fault in it that stops it working? I've had one that didn't work until a reset was done in the audio 20 settings.
The lightning connector also has to be in the USB slot 2. It won't work in slot 1.

Might try restart option. Do I need to take it to dealership?

:rock:

Might try restart option. Do I need to take it to dealership?

No, you can do it yourself. It will reset the unit to factory so you will lose any radio presets etc.
Press the vehicle button on the radio and use the rotary controller and pull back on it. You should see an options box open at the bottom. Turn the controller to highlight the options box and the press the controller. It should open and the reset option should be at the bottom. Press the controller on the reset option and it will ask you if you really want to do it. Press it again and it will reset.
See the reset guide shown below.
There's an app called MB guides for iOS and android that has good info on it, so this might help you as well.

I'm presuming you have the 2 USB sockets in the centre console compartment?

Last edited:
See this from MB guides app.

Attachments

• IMG_1599.jpg
    IMG_1599.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 44
Tried the reset but no luck. Seems like I don't have CarPlay. Yes have two USB ports

Tried the USB in both ports as well with iPhone yet nothing in telephone menu or media for car play
https://imgur.com/a/WYuBk

After a bit of checking try the following.
Make sure siri is activated /switched on in phone settings
Make sure phone is unlocked when connecting cable for the 1st time and allow carplay, when phone locked in phone settings. It should ask you when connecting for the first time.

It has to be plugged into the USB with the phone / tablet symbol on it.

If you want PM me your chassis number and I can check the option codes for it.

Last edited:
Your not alone.
I was told explicitly that my 2015 W205 'would get Apple CarPlay' as a software upgrade once available.

I now know that was a blatant lie by MB.

Be interesting to see what happens with the class action case being pursued by American owners.

At the moment the retrofit is only available if you have COMAND NTG5*1 (but not W212 E class). And you only have Audio-20 ..

Richard

Why would it not? I guess it is the same for W207 and W218 then?

As I understand it only needs latest software and it should work in W212 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom