CarPuter installation in a CLK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craigyb

Car
Audi A8 W12
Well, I've fainally managed to get a PC installed into my CLK. I changed the stock head unit for a Panasonic and installed a 7" widescreen in dash display.

Although these pictures are quite dark, you can see the HU and display, also the Bluetooth kit.

Craig

open1.jpg

mediacar.jpg

bluetooth.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks nice, is it actually installed in the lower DIN slot?

BTW I tidied the thread up so the pics were altogether again :)

Ooh, that looks v. nice. Where is the main box? Any pics? Any problems? Total cost?

[Sorry for all the questions!]

Flyer said:
[Sorry for all the questions!]
Justified I think, all we got was pics, normally it's the other way around! ;)

Tell us the story Craig! :)

Mine's a CLK230K 2000 facelift so the DIN slots are together (plastic spacer between them). I originally went with a command system so I removed the spacer for that, but I had such problems with it power wise (TV harness fault apparently) I abandoned that in favour of a carPC which I thought would give me more flexibility.

The PC is mounted in the boot over the CD changer, I wanted to remove the CD changer and put in in there, but it's slightly too big. I'm using a ChyangFun Cellbox for the PC, it's an AMD XP2000 with 512MB Ram and a 160GB disk. 4x USB2, Firewire, 1 PCI slot and LAN. 6 channel audio.

I ran VGA, 2x USB, 2x 4 way Audio, 1x 2way High quality audio, 1x 7way multicore, 2x PS2 extensions (all 5 meters in length) from the glove compartment to the boot chnager location.

I'm currently using an inverter to power the PC, but I'm changing to an OPUS 150W DC-DC psu with automatic startup and shutdown.

The screen is a 7" widescreen in dash TFT, with a USB touch screen overlay and VGA connections and composite video. It was from DigitalWW for about $530.

I've housed an IR receiver and Keyboard receiver under the ashtray cover, I intended to put a slimline DVD in there as well, but I didn't realise how the cover worked ,so I don't think there is room now, I will locate one in the Glove compartment along with some USB 1.1 & 2.0 ports. There are 2 USB hubs behind the glove compartment as well. A 4 port USB 1.1 hub and a 4 port USB 2.0 hub. These are for the IR receiver, Touch Screen and DVD rom (USB2 to IDE converter). As well as providing spare ports.

The GPS receiver will be on the back parcel shelf and connect via serial to the PC. I will post some more pics when I've completed the project, I have a cool Merecedes skin now courtesy of another forum member.

Craig

Here is the new skin that i have, it's way cool....

MENU_ON.jpg

As for costs, I have a lot of hardware kicking around from my VanPuter build (that's another story), so I used most of that. The main things I had to buy were the PC and the screen. But here's a rough breakdown.

7" screen $530 + shipping and import (www.digitalww.com)
PC £500 including RAM Disk and CPU. (www.scan.co.uk)
Slimline DVD £100 (www.mini-itx.com)
Keyboard, IR Cables, HUBS etc. £150 (varios stores)
OPUS 150w PSU £120 (www.opussolutions.com)
GPS receiver (USB or Serial) £80 - £120 depending on model
Software - Mediacar 1.8.5.2 (free, but I donated via paypal)

New head unit £340 (depends on what you want)

Ahh, this is nice! I hope to have something similar in mine, maybe instead of a cd-changer (mp3s are much more efficient really!). What concerned me was the power supply, but that one you've listed sounds great! *rubs hands* this has been very helpful, thank you! :)

Your welcome to take a look at anytime, I'm in Manchester to.

As you all offered to show me your command installations, then it's only fair.

Craig

Looks very kewl:D

Nice work Craig,

I see there is a radio button on the touch screen so does the touch screen actually control the head unit then?

no pics :( site overloaded

can someone movem to the pounhost site so we can all see?

No, the radio button actually talks to a D-link USB radio, the feature is there but has not been skinned by the developer yet. So it doesn't work.

Also the "TV" button should be a "Launch" button to allow you to add other apps not integrated into MediaCar yet, but the guy who designed this skin wants his TV option on the front panel.

I need to do some work to get it back to "Launch" as I have some apps I want to run myself embedded within MediaCar.

The good thing about this is flexibility, it's only limited by the software skills of the developers and the hardware available.

Blutetooth phone answering is one of the targets.

Craig

nice work

hope the one im workign on turns out as nice

that looks great, just one question - what about security, is it all removable?? Whats to stop someone smashing the window and taking it all while uve parked in a multi storey?

I ask because thats what put me off doing this!

Jay

Wow, I've been toying with this idea for a couple of years now - what a great resource that forum is (just like this one :))

>craigyb

What GPS software are you running?

Yes, although I've been building PS's into cars/vans for over 4 years, I came across msp3car.com recently. This has helped me with the screen and the PSU sections.

As for security, the screen folds back into the dash and looks quite plain when not in use. Also the head unit is completely blank when not lit up.

Craig

Obviously I meant PC's not PS's. The TV function is not my doing, see previous posts...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom