Carrying documents whilst driving.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
Just watching a documantary on Surrey police and a traffic unit stopped a Vauxhall Carlton carrying 4 youths, whilst the officer was cautioning the driver he said " It is an offence not to carry your driving documents with you whilst driving" ? Since when? anybody had this said to them? I never carry mine.

Driving license and insurance certificate and that's it.

No MOT docs in case of theft.

Just watching a documantary on Surrey police and a traffic unit stopped a Vauxhall Carlton carrying 4 youths, whilst the officer was cautioning the driver he said " It is an offence not to carry your driving documents with you whilst driving" ? Since when? anybody had this said to them? I never carry mine.
It's not AFAIK, and if you read some of the threads on this forum and others it has been suggested that it can be useful to NOT carry your driving docs (license or ID excepted).

I got pulled over today, as it happens. Plod asked for licence, I said no, after a few checks I was let on my way, no appology for wasting my time though.

I'm not aware of any need for UK motorists to carry around their docs?

Nor do I.

And I think he is wrong.

However, its an offence to do (or not do) almost anything nowadays except breathe in your own home. So I suppose its a possibility.

It's not AFAIK, and if you read some of the threads on this forum and others it has been suggested that it can be useful to NOT carry your driving docs (license or ID excepted).

Totally agree I was actually advised by members of the legal fraternity never to carry them and never surrender or produce them at a roadside stop, however this can lead to problems as you will see from one of my earlier posts, particularly if the car is registered to a company and not an individual

Last edited:
It is an offence to fail to produce your driving licence, insurance or MOT cert to a Police Officer on demand.

However if you produce them within seven days you will not be prosecuted.

It is an offence to fail to produce your driving licence, insurance or MOT cert to a Police Officer on demand.

I fell for this one, I was stopped at a roadside check and asked for documents and when I said I didn't have them the officer started to caution me.
Apparently while it is not an offence not to carry them it is an offence to fail to produce them when asked. :crazy:

I got pulled over today, as it happens. Plod asked for licence, I said no, after a few checks I was let on my way, no appology for wasting my time though.
I'm not aware of any need for UK motorists to carry around their docs?
I fell for this one, I was stopped at a roadside check and asked for documents and when I said I didn't have them the officer started to caution me.
Apparently while it is not an offence not to carry them it is an offence to fail to produce them when asked. :crazy:

Plodd is spot-on. The various databases now available to the police means fewer 'producers' are given at the roadside and, in Nick's case, roadside checks mean the disruption to the motorist should be kept to a minimum (politeness costs nowt :) ).
Legislation is such that if you cannot produce your documents upon request you should then be cautioned in case there is an offence present otherwise anything said is likely to be inadmissible in court.

I always carry my driving licence. If they want anything else I produce it at the police station for I am aware I have seven days to do it. An offence, don't give a toss.

However if I travel to Scotland, I bring everything along as I am told it a different country. They will not allow you to produce within seven days at the local police station depending on the offences you were stopped. If you are stopped in Scotland, any police station in Scotland, the same in England or Wales. Correct? :D

I always carry my driving licence. If they want anything else I produce it at the police station for I am aware I have seven days to do it. An offence, don't give a toss.

Dragon, you're such a rebel - you should change your name to Tolpuddle :p :D

Dragon, you're such a rebel - you should change your name to Tolpuddle :p :D

Will you give me 3 points if you stop me without the MOT cert? :eek:

Went to the website.....................http://www.tolpuddlemartyrs.org.uk/

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Museum closed:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We regret the Museum is currently closed due to flooding. Please contact us to check before making a visit. [/FONT]

I was driving along A68 from Edinburgh then A69 to Newcastle and A1 all the way to Grantham Monday. Was looking for you and Pammy. Sorry you missed me.

Last edited:
Will you give me 3 points if you stop me without the MOT cert? :eek:

Went to the website.....................http://www.tolpuddlemartyrs.org.uk/

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Museum closed:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We regret the Museum is currently closed due to flooding. Please contact us to check before making a visit. [/FONT]

I was driving along A68 from Edinburgh then A69 to Newcastle and A1 all the way to Grantham Monday. Was looking for you and Pammy. Sorry you missed me.

Straight £60 for no MOT - nil poi :D and you wouldn't have seen me on the A1 through Yorkshire anyway - look at my avatar :eek:

Straight £60 for no MOT - nil poi :D and you wouldn't have seen me on the A1 through Yorkshire anyway - look at my avatar :eek:

Why will give me £60 fine? as Plodd said....................

However if you produce them within seven days you will not be prosecuted

:D

Well, I carry all relevant documents with me in the car at all times.

A word of warning to those driving abroad: in many countries on the continent, it is mandatory to have your documents with you at all times. This is most important should you get caught up in an accident. It could cause a lot of grief if you aren't able to produce the relevant documents in that case.

Why will give me £60 fine? as Plodd said....................

However if you produce them within seven days you will not be prosecuted

Sorry - it's £60 for no MOT (fixed penalty); failing to produce is dealt with by summons.

Yup I put all the docs. in the Vito for our recent trip to Germany (including the required emissions category disc on the windscreen!). But in the UK I just carry my driving licence.

Well, I carry all relevant documents with me in the car at all times.

A word of warning to those driving abroad: in many countries on the continent, it is mandatory to have your documents with you at all times. This is most important should you get caught up in an accident. It could cause a lot of grief if you aren't able to produce the relevant documents in that case.

If you park your car outside, whoever nicks it will thank you for the use of your car for at least a year. :D

Totally agree I was actually advised by members of the legal fraternity never to carry them and never surrender or produce them at a roadside stop, however this can lead to problems as you will see from one of my earlier posts, particularly if the car is registered to a company and not an individual

If you've made a minor transgression, the officer may give you a "producer" as a form of minor punishment - if you have the documents with you, this option is not there

That's just what I was about to say. You beat me to it. I hope you weren't speeding on the forum........

Sorry - it's £60 for no MOT (fixed penalty); failing to produce is dealt with by summons.

So having no MOT carries less of a punishment than inadvertantly overstaying by two minutes on a parking meter then?

Maybe I'll be less concerned about having the odd days lapse between years then. ... maybe, I'll just time my vehicle license for MOT tests every 18 months instead of 12 - should save some money this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom