Carrying documents whilst driving.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
when I started fussing the small dog that was sniffing my hand luggage. Oh my word, side-arms were nearly drawn, I was in trouble for interfering with an employee apparently - the authorities were still kinda jumpy I guess, it was early Jan 2002. Anyway, nothing found I hasten to add. Then I discovered the immigration guys who checked my passport and entry docs had zero humour also...

Woops, OT again

I could make a joke about the intelligence of the residents of the colonies, but I wonder if the pooch is an employee, what they pay it. Maybe its in denominations of maribone jelly.

I got pulled in USA and didnt have my drivers license on me...You would have thought I was public enemy no1. Asked me for my social security number - told him I had no idea (its apparently the same as your driving license number). Asked if I had any other identification on me so I showed him my passport (UK) and credit cards (UK) - all of a sudden he was a different man...nice friendly asked me if I was enjoying my holiday - I said I was living here now and he politely told me I was therefore committing an offense not carrying my drivers license on me so make sure I did next time.

Never forgot it again.................:D

You got away why did you tell him you live there? That a stupid thing to do. :D

Unless you do not want to be treated nicely.

You got away why did you tell him you live there? That a stupid thing to do. :D

Unless you do not want to be treated nicely.
Hmmmm now let me see.............. my passport's visitors visa has CANCELLED stamped through it ... as I then had a "green card"..... so why would I Lie??

So yes I was stupid and told the truth --- or should I have been clever and been arrested ?? Hmmm let me see..:D

I was enemy number 1 at Denver airport having just arrived and was waiting in line with all the other aliens when I started fussing the small dog that was sniffing my hand luggage. Oh my word, side-arms were nearly drawn, I was in trouble for interfering with an employee apparently - the authorities were still kinda jumpy I guess, it was early Jan 2002. Anyway, nothing found I hasten to add. Then I discovered the immigration guys who checked my passport and entry docs had zero humour also...

Woops, OT again

I've often noticed the lack of any form of humour or personality in immigration staff. I'm reasonably sure they are sent to attend the same charm school as doctors surgery administrative staff.:eek:

Going back on topic slightly, I was unfortunate enough to have had an accident where the police attended and I had nothing by my photocard on me.

The policeman was happy with my MOT sticker on the windshield, the name of my insurance company (which I can only presume they called or looked up) and half a book-full of details about me... (which he then forgot to give me a copy of)

So, still now I carry my photocard, the sticker on my windshield and more recently the proof of ownership of my plates (changed plates recently and am still worried that my old plates are on the register!)

I've found that as a general rule, if you're polite and kind, most people (police included) will do the same. Act like an a** and you'll get the same treatment back (though obviously there are the exceptions...)

M.

Last edited:
I've often noticed the lack of any form of humour or personality in immigration staff. I'm reasonably sure they are sent to attend the same charm school as doctors surgery administrative staff.:eek:

Fingers crossed Suzy Cute does not read this..... :eek:

:bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

I think they must be stupid if they dont think I know its the Police, even unmarked cars are obvious.. check for the extra aerials on the roof!..........I seem to get picked on for stupid things like brake light bulb!

Don't ever come our way then - we're clearly not that stupid as our unmarked cars are definitely not obvious :D. And imagine getting stopped for having a brake-light out? How inconvenient is that :rolleyes:

Don't ever come our way then - we're clearly not that stupid as our unmarked cars are definitely not obvious :D. And imagine getting stopped for having a brake-light out? How inconvenient is that :rolleyes:

How about when I started out it OK it may has just burnt out when I was driving just a few seconds ago. :D

Last edited:
How about when I start out it OK it may has just burnt out when I was driving just a few seconds ago. :D
The windscreen wasn't cracked before I set off, the brake pad warning light wasn't lit, the tyres were on the line of 1.5mm tread and the rust was holding the exhaust on perfectly! It's not my fault that these things have gone wrong during the journey! :)

The windscreen wasn't cracked before I set off, the brake pad warning light wasn't lit, the tyres were on the line of 1.5mm tread and the rust was holding the exhaust on perfectly! It's not my fault that these things have gone wrong during the journey! :)

I am going to take it to the workshop straight away and have it rectified. :D

You are in SOOOOO much trouble! :eek:

Nah, it wasn't me saying it :D. And since you're not turning up in Torquay this weekend, there will be plenty of distance between us. I might exchange some tips with IBW though :devil:.

Don't ever come our way then - we're clearly not that stupid as our unmarked cars are definitely not obvious

Even the supposed stealth ones are easy to spot. Anyone who misses them is simply not paying attention. Some standard giveaways - mostly 2 occupants. Paraphernalia around rear view mirror. Sometimes a second rear view mirror. Sometimes unusually mounted aerials. Mini blue lights in grille. I could go on all day. The facts are it is what it is. It is near on impossible to disguise all that. More to the point, it should not be disguised anyway. Prevention is always better than cure.

Like I said - pay attention and you'll always see it. If you don't pay attention......well, that's what those cars are for, are they not?

Documents. No need. All on databases which are available to the police. In fact, just about every aspect of our lives these days in on a database somewhere or other. Even on EBAY if you happen to have stayed at one of the Royal hotels :D

I suppose if I saw a car behind another car at the side of the road with the blue front grill lights flashing I would hazard a guess at it being an unmarked police car. I quite often see 2 people in a car with funny (to me) aerials on the roof (remote control for Webasto heater), I certainly do not peer in my rear view mirror to check the front grill for recessed blue lights, I don’t deliberately drive over the middle of roundabouts to wind people up. I must have had a sad upbringing, I blame my Dad, and yes, I carry my documents.

A few years back spotting police cars behind on the motorway at night (after 1am) was piece of cake. Marked OR unmarked. 9 times out of 10 any car behind with xenons was a police car. I am sure this is no longer true.

Luckily I no longer drive nights :)

For example, this happened to me.. I purposely drove over the middle of a mini-roundabout when marked Police panda car was behind me, I knew he was there I was trying to prove a point to my ol'man.. in my driving test my instructor said, it's not an offence to drive over a mini-roundabout.. just the flat ones that are painted on the road..

Did you drive over a painted one or a normal mini roundabout ?

I can understand driving over a painted one as they are only about an inch high , but the other ones tend to be made out of concrete and metal aren't they ?

I agree with unmarked don't come to west Yorkshire you will never spot the cars they use wierd wonderful and sometimes old no hidden strobes no roof ariels no webasto heater enter at your peril !!!

I can confirm some of Cambs unmarked Traffic cars hardly have anything to give them away - lack of multi-aerials, tiny tiny camera by RVM, the smallest LED strobes I have ever seen hidden away in the front grill and also attached to the bumper edges.... If you're looking that closely at them, you really are not paying attention to where you're going :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom