Cars most likely to speed....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Love the #2 of least likely to speed. Inbetweeners anybody?

Interesting that some cars are split by specific model (BMW, Merc) but others are not (Audi)

"Speeding is dangerous and anti-social,"

Are they employing BRAKE as copywriters now ?

Ha! - I can tell you that it's perfectly possible to speed in a Hyundai Amica... mainly because you spend so long getting it up to speed that you're loathe to slow down for anything.

I don't know what it says that I traded in the "sensible car owned by sensible people" for a CLK; maybe I'm having a mid-life crisis!?

IME it's the smaller hatchbacks that tend to speed, especially in urban environments. The baseball cap worn backwards aiding top speed.

So cars with big engines are most likely to speed whilst cars with small engines are least likely.
Well, whatever next.
No doubt a suit on a six figure salary worked that out lol.

IME it's the smaller hatchbacks that tend to speed, especially in urban environments. The baseball cap worn backwards aiding top speed.

I find that winding the window down and making loud ' vroom vroom ' noises increases the speed of the vehicle by a considerable margin too.

So cars with big engines are most likely to speed whilst cars with small engines are least likely.
Well, whatever next.
No doubt a suit on a six figure salary worked that out lol.

Small engines are least likely?. They obviously never saw me in my first car. 950cc MK1 Fiesta. :rock:

The fact that the 220 comes in higher than the 250,they're both diesel and there's no sign of the BMW 3 series or A4. Now the C class has out sold the 3 series and the A4 every month this year, could it be a coincidence ?
Could it mean the big watch and sunglasses brigade have decided to lease MB instead?

Its ********. Its a list of cars likely to be CAUGHT speeding. Cars on that list are more likely to be found on motorways and dcs where the cameras are.

In built up areas its the wretched scrotes in ****ty little hatches that speed but are less likely to be caught.

The StreetKa is a 1.6L along with the SportKa, not 1.3 like a regular Ka. 95bhp or 59bhp respectively.

It's all nonsense:eek:
Everybody knows the most likely to speed is a Mercedes....

Sprinter van;):rolleyes:

Yugguy is right. It's ********.

It's not a list of cars most likely to speed; it's not a list of cars most likely to be caught speeding. It's a list of cars with Admiral 'black box' insurance most likely to speed.

I suspect we can safely assume that the drivers of the few (one?) Bentley Continentals insured with Admiral speeds quite a lot, but I'm certainly not insured with Admiral - their quotes on MY fast cars are invariably hopelessly uncompetitive. It may be that they offer good rates for company cars/upmarket repmobiles like the small-engined diesel C-class, which would account for their being in the list, but a survey on which to base any significant conclusions? I don't think so...

Nice eye-catching free advertising for Admiral, and full marks to their PR team.

Now for the facts....:

(a) It's listing the cars most likely to speed (or not to speed)... out of the 300,000 owners that have chosen to install an Admiral black box. Not out of the UK's 35m registered vehicles.

(b) They don't say what is the sample size of the speeding cars. How many people actually speed with an insurer-fitted black box installed in their cars? Not very many I suspect. So how many cars where there at the 'top'? A handful? If so then this is not really 'statistics' as such...

(c) What is the sample size of the cars that are NOT speeding? There are probably quite a lot of those. In fact I assume that the vast majority of people who have an insurer-fitted black box in their car will drive quite slowly.

(d) What all these drivers have in common is that they are trying to reduce their insurance premium costs, I would except a sizeable majority of these to be young people with no means of paying hefty insurance premiums. What cars do young people with little means buy? Low-cost entry-level models that are either very reliable or otherwise cheap to run and fix.

(e) Who fits a black box to an expensive car? Not young people trying to reduce their premiums... those who can afford these cars at a young age, will surely be able to foot the cost of the policy. Is it possible that the expensive cars are driven by older people who have poor driving record - points on their license, speeding fines etc - and are forced to fit a black box to avoid 5-figure premiums?

So... due to (c) above I would expect to see that the slow driving group are very sizeable. Due to (d) I would expect to see quite a lot of entry-level low-cost cars, perhaps older models that are no longer in production but are popular with young people. An given that I would assume that these two groups will represent corresponding majorities, they are bound to overlap.

What about the top speeders? Well these will clearly be a very small group, comprising of people who were 'forced' for one reason or other to fit black boxes to their motors, but still can't help speeding. So I would expect to see here some of the more expensive newer cars.

If you are not convinced.... how many Bentley Continental do you think are there, that are insured with Admiral, fitted with a black box, and speed....? Can't be dozens of them, can it :D

A lot of assumptions, I know. Good fun though (for me). And yes, I am probably a spoilsport for everyone else as usual. :eek:

Last edited:
I always found Admiral were crap.
Plus now it seems one's premium is paying for their CEO's bespoke Napoleonic tailoring which is hardy fair?

a111r said:
I always found Admiral were crap. Plus now it seems one's premium is paying for their CEO's bespoke Napoleonic tailoring which is hardy fair?

Their multi car insurance is just a joke. I have never had a cheaper quote from them from insuring two cars with them.

I always found Admiral were crap.
Plus now it seems one's premium is paying for their CEO's bespoke Napoleonic tailoring which is hardy fair?

They were great for us on Multi car till our renewal a few months ago when they became so uncompetitive it was almost funny

Statistics can say whatever they want them to say. Lies and Damned Lies...

How many people on this forum have a black box? I bet very few. How many people on this forum would consider changing their policy to one with a black box attached. I bet there are no takers for this.

One reason why we don't like black boxes is because it is essentially Big Brother watching us. If we make a mistake, regardless of how insignificant it is, it is recorded and used against us. If we travel at 35mph in a 30mph zone, it'll go tell Daddy.

As for the two C Classes in the list, did it mention that they were being tail-gated by Audis?

Also, how do they come up with the relevant figures? Are they using acceleration data to determine who might go faster than the national speed limit? I rapidly accelerate to 60, but rarely go over it, and if I do, it is by a small margin, yet would this class me as someone likely to speed?

Surely if they have fitted telematic boxes to these 300,000 cars, they can actually tell when someone IS speeding, and not whether they are likely to speed.

I do love the Bentley Continental being listed as number 1. I'd love to know how many BCs were in that 300,000, and how many did actually speed and how many were likely to speed, and on what basis do they make that prediction.

Speeding is dangerous and anti-social, while getting caught is an expensive business - both in terms of the inevitable fine and the resulting increase the cost of your car insurance premiums. But that doesn’t stop some people taking the risk.

This is still quite a controversial discussion point, with some calling for the government to increase motorway speeds, while others are asking that all vehicles on our roads should have someone walk in front of them carrying a red flag.

I have been the victim of a high speed collision with a vehicle emerging from a side road. I could have lost my life, yet speed wasn't the main factor of the accident. Yes, if I had been travelling slower, my injuries would have been less severe, but the root cause of the accident was the failure of the other driver to engage her eyes.

She was driving like Stevie Wonder.

In fact, a document produced by TUV about the effects of speeding said that speed wasn't a significant factor in about 90% of collisions. It was inattention or not taking weather conditions in to account.

In fact, the TUV also went on to say that in 95% of collisions involving pedestrians, the pedestrian was at fault for walking in to the road without first checking the way was clear. This has obviously increased since the introduction of the mobile phone, and texting, whereby the texter is so oblivious to their surroundings that they will walk in to anything, including doors, other pedestrians, and moving vehicles (as well as stationary vehicles).

As for speeding being anti-social, many of the younger generation meet up on a Friday evening to challenge each other to road duels, seeing who has the loudest and the fastest car. Now many of the older generation might find this behaviour somewhat anti-social, but I bet you that the twenty somethings all think it is a hoot. Who decides what is social and what is anti-social?

Also, if you are travelling down the M40 at 0300 and there isn't another motorist on your stretch of the motorway, doing 80 or 90 mph can not be anti-social to anyone.

Anti-social is blasting your stereo out at 0200 in the morning and telling your neighbours where to go, while vomiting over their flower beds.

Finally, I love it when authors of these articles think it is their right to dictate what is acceptable or not. We have our government to decide what is right and wrong, and the Police are there to enforce those laws. We don't need to second rate hack telling us that if we speed, we are being anti-social. Maybe he should keep his personal opinions to himself, and stick to reporting the facts, rather than teach the rest of humanity how to suck eggs.

It's all nonsense:eek:
Everybody knows the most likely to speed is a Mercedes....

Sprinter van;):rolleyes:

chabuddy-gs-tips-for-pulling-in-a-nightclub-1437487799.jpg

You know it maete

(He's Chabud from BBC3's "People just do nothing" for those of you who don't know who he is!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom