Cars sold with 226g/km

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB-BTurbo

Car
B200 Turbo
Why are cars sold in the UK with 226g/km here in the UK? I was flirting with the idea of a CLC which would need to be the CLC230 model before noticing it puts out 1g/km over the 'nonsense' car tax threshold.

With so much money invested into designing, marketing a car etc why fall short by such small margins which will surely severely damage sales. It is the same with the old Mazda MPS that I was considering a few years back. Just crazy.:dk:

Maybe they should do what the VAG did and just make it all up?

Don't know why people worry about road tax. In the grand scheme of all the running costs it's not really an issue surely?

Don't know why people worry about road tax. In the grand scheme of all the running costs it's not really an issue surely?

Have to agree with you.

If you can't afford it - you can't afford it.

why fall short by such small margins which will surely severely damage sales.

When I bought my first new van in 2001 I REALLY wanted a Vito. However, at that time the interior load length of the Vito was 2" shy of the magic 8' needed by most tradesmen. (Plasterboard, plywood etc). So I bought a transit.

That 2" must have lost MB a few few sales. :dk:

Ant.

It is jolly annoying though if its so close. I remember when the new style tax came out and at the time I already owned a Vectra 2.2 and the tax went up by 40 quid just because the co2 rate was 201 and the cross over point was 200. Also if my car was 1 day older it would have been at the cheaper rate.

You do have to wonder what goes through the manufacturers minds though sometimes - take the Porsche 959 - top speed 199 mph - surely though could have done some minor fettling to the turbos to make it top 200 mph and get the title of the first road car to crack 200 mph - Realised a little bit later by the F40 !

^exactly...I thought the same when I watched that top gear episode too.

The difference between my car and a post-23/03/2006 E63 is what, £250? ... that annoys me even though it is a small cost in the scheme of things.

A car with over 255g/km will cost you £2600 to tax in the first 3 years, so £72 a month.

That is quite a chunk imho. I can see why it puts some people off those sorts of cars.

When I bought my first new van in 2001 I REALLY wanted a Vito. However, at that time the interior load length of the Vito was 2" shy of the magic 8' needed by most tradesmen. (Plasterboard, plywood etc). So I bought a transit.

Ant.

I imagine that sheet materials on the continent are perhaps a different (metric) size - perhaps MB just didn't research the UK market properly…

It's certainly cost me a few girlfriends :dk: :crazy:

:D

It is a bit odd that they couldn't detune the engine by the slightest amount to make that 1g/km disappear :dk:

I imagine that sheet materials on the continent are perhaps a different (metric) size - perhaps MB just didn't research the UK market properly…

That's a good point. Didn't think of that. Hence why I'm a builder. :doh:

Ant.

That's a good point. Didn't think of that. Hence why I'm a builder. :doh:

Ant.

A lot of timber sheet materials (osb, etc) are (american) imperial sized ie 8'
Plasterboard though is metric at 2.40m
Don't know if they get metric timber sheets in the rest of europe.

A lot of timber sheet materials (osb, etc) are (american) imperial sized ie 8'
Plasterboard though is metric at 2.40m
Don't know if they get metric timber sheets in the rest of europe.

Yeah, I know that well enough, used 1000's sheets of the stuff. Plastered houses for 15 years for Redrow Homes around the UK.

My point was the Vito in 2001 had load length of 2350 making it 2" short to get plasterboard into. Bad design by MB. :fail

Ant.

Yeah, I know that well enough, used 1000's sheets of the stuff. Plastered houses for 15 years for Redrow Homes around the UK.

My point was the Vito in 2001 had load length of 2350 making it 2" short to get plasterboard into. Bad design by MB. :fail

Ant.

No it's not an issue just buy the vastly superior Sprinter :D

No it's not an issue just buy the vastly superior Sprinter :D

They've sorted it now Stuart. I'm ranting about the Vito of 2001 era. Load length is great on the latest ones.

If they ever start making plasterboard in 4.1m lengths I'll get me a sprinter. But before that I'll dream of a C63. :crazy:

They've sorted it now Stuart. I'm ranting about the Vito of 2001 era. Load length is great on the latest ones.

If they ever start making plasterboard in 4.1m lengths I'll get me a sprinter. But before that I'll dream of a C63. :crazy:

Do they do a V6 diesel in the Vito?

My brothers company sprinters are 319cdi's like **** of a shovel for a van! :eek:

MB do know how to make a van I have to say!

Ant.

Everything in my trade is 3m long, The Transit been 2950mm, or a jump upto over 3.5m we wnet to Sprinters and doubt we'll go back..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom