Cars - they represent excellent value for money

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The only reason I can see why the scooter would cost so much is that they must be made on a much smaller scale. I would imagine the Linn cartridge is made to exacting standards on a very small scale indeed,

Hi-fi components are just a rip off and bear no resemblance to the cost to produce, just how much the customer will bear.

At half the price of a basic Fiesta the scooter represents good value for money, it still does 80% of what the Fiesta does.
There will be a minimum price that can't be breached as there is a minimum manufacturing cost.
Don't forget these prices are sales prices, not manufacturing costs.

Maybe, but that wasn't the gist of the thread.

Consider what you get with the new car versus (for example) this...

Panasonic PT-DZ6700EL (without lens) at Projectorshop24.co.uk

I'm no expert on projectors, but I'm guessing these are fairly high-end models, again produced in rather small volumes by a fairly intensive process?

There are other projectors available from around £200 upwards; and high-end cars cost upwards of £250,000.

Bear in mind that getting ceramic brakes fitted to a Porsche Cayman costs around £5,500 extra - or the price of a small hatchback. And that C63 you mentioned costs around three times the price of a basic C-class - but are you really getting three times the car?

I'm no expert on projectors, but I'm guessing these are fairly high-end models, again produced in rather small volumes by a fairly intensive process?

There are other projectors available from around £200 upwards; and high-end cars cost upwards of £250,000.

Bear in mind that getting ceramic brakes fitted to a Porsche Cayman costs around £5,500 extra - or the price of a small hatchback. And that C63 you mentioned costs around three times the price of a basic C-class - but are you really getting three times the car?

High end Panny's are £70K - that's E63 territory.

The Porsche brakes make the £10K car seem even better value for money.

At half the price of a basic Fiesta the scooter represents good value for money, it still does 80% of what the Fiesta does.
There will be a minimum price that can't be breached as there is a minimum manufacturing cost.
Don't forget these prices are sales prices, not manufacturing costs.

But for an extra £1500, you can get a new Citroen C1. That will take four people in more rather comfort than the scooter will take two. It's also a more realistic proposition on motorways and in inclement weather, and can cope with a weekly shopping trip.

The scooter may do 80% of what most small hatchback owners use their cars for, but that doesn't explain why it costs as much as it does. Either it costs a lot less to produce and Piaggio/dealers are making a healthy profit on each one sold, or the lower volumes mean that the cost price is proportionately higher (or a combination of the two).

Only last week I was speaking to a colleague who rides to work on a 125cc motorbike. I asked what his efficiency was, expecting hundreds and it was ~100mpg. Considering it weighs about 100kg (I imagine), but a smart petrol is 1000kg and does 60mpg. It makes bikes seem quite poor at times. OK performance is on another level, but if you're purely after cheap and flexible transport cars can be quite decent.

As for poor value for money, diamond rings must be towards to top. Now, there's a brave man who goes against that tradition......which wasn't me.

High end Panny's are £70K - that's E63 territory.

The Porsche brakes make the £10K car seem even better value for money.

I think that's my point: it's not as simple a saying that projectors make cars look cheap.

Low-end projectors cost a lot less than low-end cars.

High-end cars cost much more than high-end projectors.

Pricing can also be somewhat nebulous. Or put another way, why does a one-month old car cost so much less than identical new one? The 'new' one may actually be older that the other one (ie: if it was built earlier), but is devalued by perception (and the fact that it's had an extra 'owner'). But practically speaking, the two cars still offer the buyer identical benefits...

I was just thinking how you get a lot for your money when purchasing a new car.

For £10K you can get something really decent.

When you think of the body, treated and painted, the engine, made up of hundreds of parts, all the interior/exterior components, the trim, the systems, the electrical /electronic items, glass, wheels, tyres, and all the labour to source, transport, assemble, test, deliver and sell (and numerous other processes involved), they really do represent excellent value for what you pay.

All the above is true - so why is a reasonable spec C Class nudging £40K?
They're even dearer in Euro-land (but still way cheaper in the US).

At the manufacture level, higher-end new cars are fantastically profitable.

All the above is true - so why is a reasonable spec C Class nudging £40K?
They're even dearer in Euro-land (but still way cheaper in the US).

At the manufacture level, higher-end new cars are fantastically profitable.

Absolutely - the power of the brand is all encompassing.

In a previous life I worked for Engineering Finance at Rover Group (which is probably why they went bust :D).

Anyway,the addition of all the material (read parts) to make a car was called the material margin. The mm on a Discovery was basically the same as the mm on a Range Rover (give or take a bit).

The premium paid by punters for the Range Rover was almost entirely profit.

I think that's my point: it's not as simple a saying that projectors make cars look cheap.

Low-end projectors cost a lot less than low-end cars.

High-end cars cost much more than high-end projectors.

Granted, but a £10K projector is still a small box, some wires, switches and (looking at that advert) not even a precision lens, though obviously with some overhead costs, whereas a £10K car is everything I listed (and more) at post#1.

Good value I'd say :thumb:.

"My recent quote for a day's tree felling at my house £1200"

just curious how many trees / taken away i presume ???

But for an extra £1500, you can get a new Citroen C1. That will take four people in more rather comfort than the scooter will take two. It's also a more realistic proposition on motorways and in inclement weather, and can cope with a weekly shopping trip.

The scooter may do 80% of what most small hatchback owners use their cars for, but that doesn't explain why it costs as much as it does. Either it costs a lot less to produce and Piaggio/dealers are making a healthy profit on each one sold, or the lower volumes mean that the cost price is proportionately higher (or a combination of the two).

I think it was once said that he even the worst car is better than 2 wheeled transport- i agree 4 wheels good 2 wheels bad AND motorbikes and the like have the highest fatality rates of any form of transport.

"My recent quote for a day's tree felling at my house £1200"

just curious how many trees / taken away i presume ???

Ah yes, felling is a bit strong - two large conifers, three smallish holly trees and an overgrown and part dead apple tree, along with various prunings and shrub removal.

My point was that one climber, one branch/foliage dragger and one shredder for one day in my garden is bloody expensive at £1200, again making the car look like good value.

I think it was once said that he even the worst car is better than 2 wheeled transport-

Oh I don't know... In my car it takes me about 1.5 hours each way to commute and costs me £100 a week in fuel.

On the current bike it takes me 40 minutes to commute and it costs £10 a week in fuel.

£90 X 48 weeks = £4300 pa in fuel savings... I could buy a new car for that :D

Absolutely - the power of the brand is all encompassing.

In a previous life I worked for Engineering Finance at Rover Group (which is probably why they went bust :D).

Anyway,the addition of all the material (read parts) to make a car was called the material margin. The mm on a Discovery was basically the same as the mm on a Range Rover (give or take a bit).

The premium paid by punters for the Range Rover was almost entirely profit.

I've heard that the Defender (even in SWB) cost more to make than the Discovery 1, on account of material margin and labour-intensive techniques. Can you comment? I don't think the Phoenix gang will sue!

I built my Conservatory for £6500 was quoted £8900 for Blinds for it by the Blinds company starting with an S who are the Rolls royce of Blinds
Sales guy Turned up in souped up Mitsubishi and stayed for 3 hours.
One year ago bought my ML for 7.5k and fitted blinds myself with money I saved
SIMPLES:D

Ah yes, felling is a bit strong - two large conifers, three smallish holly trees and an overgrown and part dead apple tree, along with various prunings and shrub removal.

My point was that one climber, one branch/foliage dragger and one shredder for one day in my garden is bloody expensive at £1200, again making the car look like good value.

I'd have waited until Bob-a-Job week. :)

I've heard that the Defender (even in SWB) cost more to make than the Discovery 1, on account of material margin and labour-intensive techniques. Can you comment? I don't think the Phoenix gang will sue!

Sorry, I worked at Rover Cars and only heard the Discovery/Range Rover information - I've no knowledge of other LR products.

thats mental 1200 but as someone said earlier some people just pay,I know someone in North Bham who does trees,sutton coldfield hes in thou,root removal is the pricey part

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom