Cars you have been embarrassed to drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrhanky

MB Enthusiast
Car
Superb 3.6 4x4 & W221 S500
As per title, what cars have you been embarrassed to drive and for what reason.

I went out in a clients new GLE coupe and it was embarrassing. I never knew Mercedes made such an ugly pointless car. It looked like one of those American monster trucks but scaled down.

It was second only to a Poo brown Austin allegro my mum used to own.

<<<<<<<<

Last edited by a moderator:
Not so much that I have been embarrassed ,

but I would be embarrassed to be seen in :

most new cars

anything Japanese

any BMW ( except 1602 , 2002 , 3.0 and 6 series coupes from the 1970's )

most French cars - except original Citroen DS series , 2CV , SM , Traction Avant

most American cars

As per title, what cars have you been embarrassed to drive and for what reason.

I went out in a clients new GLE coupe and it was embarrassing. I never knew Mercedes made such an ugly pointless car.

Saw one at MB World recently - it was monstrous.

My company BMW 325i E30 having been stolen they provided me with a Daewoo thing as a courtesy car. The first of the Daewoos to arrive in the UK, based on a really old Cavalier, it was just flat out hideous to look at, drive or be in. Nothing I have ever had or been in came near it for sheer awfulness in every department.

My company BMW 325i E30 having been stolen they provided me with a Daewoo thing as a courtesy car. The first of the Daewoos to arrive in the UK, based on a really old Cavalier, it was just flat out hideous to look at, drive or be in. Nothing I have ever had or been in came near it for sheer awfulness in every department.

I'd never report that my BMW was stolen to save the embarrassment ...
The burglar might ask for compensation!

Yep, can't appreciate just how hideous and ridiculous the GLE looks until you are up close and personal.

I like lots of cars and can normally see something to like in most. It very much reminds me of the X6 I think it was called. Although BMW did a better job, but even that looked like a normal car on large monster trucks wheels.

Funny thing was my client was so proud and pleased with it. I guess ultimately that is all that matters when it comes down to cars.

I just love cars, all cars.

I actually look forward to driving some old clunker for a change, it beats walking for a start.

Citroen C1 courtesy car. What a terrible car.

Drove a modern vw beetle as favour to my flatmate. I drew up along side a minibus full of "builder types" only to realise they where looking at me and then at the stupid flower in the vase mounted on the dashboard and back again :D

Hillman imp, no heater, a good runner to say I was pushing it, then I won the lottery........no comment

lewyboy said:
I just love cars, all cars. I actually look forward to driving some old clunker for a change, it beats walking for a start.

Good shout Lewyboy. Having had my fair share of old and tired cars I always like to drive something different, especially when you get into something mundane and it's a big surprise how well it goes. Most cars have some redeeming feature. What always gets me is the un-warranted hype surrounding allegedly brilliant cars. I went to lunch in a customers new A6 last week. He is not a very sympathetic driver but as well as torque steering up the road I couldn't believe how uncomfortable the back leather clad 'pews'( sorry seats) were. Why they bothered with a centre seat belt I have no idea as a ride in the centre seat would make you walk like John Wayne with that transmission tunnel in the way and it wasn't a Quattro! Do any motoring journalists ever sit in any other chair apart from the drivers?

Not so much that I have been embarrassed ,

but I would be embarrassed to be seen in :

most new cars

anything Japanese

any BMW ( except 1602 , 2002 , 3.0 and 6 series coupes from the 1970's )

most French cars - except original Citroen DS series , 2CV , SM , Traction Avant

most American cars
I hope you never do pontoneer, if you came on hard times what would you drive? A Rickshaw....lol

A 54 plate Fiat Punto Active 8V.

It was an automatically actuated manual, and was hopeless, underpowered, never in the right gear to the point of being dangerous at times, and yeah it was embarrassing going from a lovely red sports car (RX8) to that.

It's only saving grace was that it was completely standard, and in as new condition. Nobody tried to tart it up into something it's not. Also it averaged 3x the mpg of the RX8 so that eased the pain.

Had to get over some perceived embarrassment of getting out of my Renault Scenic at my old place of work today. (I pop back to the old place as a Tour Guide now and again)

Did I have the rip taken out of me or what. After years of turning up in a classic Mercedes they thought I had truly lost the plot. When I said the 124 was tucked up in my garage away from salt and floods I was almost let off the hook, almost.

They wont let me forget today in a hurry that's for sure. But really I could not give a rats, as one of the lads said, Jeez you've got some balls turning up in that. But the joke's on them. 500 squid, 12 months MoT, 40 MPG, goes and stops, and it has a copious amount of room in it now I have the back seats out and 90 quid for 6 months tax. Scrap it and the end of the MoT and it will owe my nowt.

Nah you can pick a 190e for a couple hundred quid these days :)

I already have - twice :D

Poverty is no bar to driving the best !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom