Cars You Have Owned That Were Crap But You Loved/Missed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

as400

Car
W212 350cdi
My TVR Cerbera was crap, but when it got its act together and was in the mood for a fight was wonderful, the heat dissipation in the cockpit area, the smell of fuel and oil, the small Subaru WRXSTI disappearing in the rear view mirror....

My MK 1 golf convertible was also crap and would fill up with water when it rained, but its little chassis went round bends wonderfully and I miss it.

Renault 5 GT turbo?....so many problems and issues but it put a smile on my face and was my first performance car....

Anyone else?

My First car. RVY 242 P. Proper rubbish but it was fun, in the way an 18 year old thinks cars are fun.

0-60 once.

8 lltr petrol to 1 ltr oil and a brake fluid tin a week.

Mini's eh?

It lasted 3 whole months too.

I miss my MK1 golf cabrio as well ....

Seats perpetually damp from the leaking hood , strange creaking noises from the front suspension , the way it ran out of go at just the wrong moment ( usualy as you were right alongside someone on a country road with a blind left hander coming , as 19 yr olds are prone to doing )

Here's a rather younger ( and slimmer ) version of me with her ..... she was a good old bus !

n720961813_498968_5079.jpg

Mine was a 1275 mini in that horrible yellow mustard color I only found out after I bought it from a friend that it had been rolled twice and repaired, looked good but doors didn't fit, windows leaked, inside started to smell, it had a 45 webber (cut in dash) so always smelt of petrol, no one would go in it coz it made them sick on long journeys, not that that was a big problem coz it would always breakdown on journeys outside of my home town (Aylesbury) god I loved that car.

My first car. BJM 516. 1954 Austin A40 Somerset. Bought it for £20. Drove it from North Berwick back to Edinburgh when I was too young for a license:eek:. Me and my mate at the time spent many happy hours fixing that car. Sold it after two years. Wish I had it now.

I had a Vectra fitted with the 3.0 V6 from an Omega (and it was a good 'un, she made 233bhp almost standard :eek:). It was a genuinely quick car and on a private straight road would top a nudge over 150mph on a Tomtom, it even handled pretty well :eek: I covered 15k in 6 months.

On the downside it went though coolant hoses like they were going out of fashion, ate suspension bushes for a snack, started to rust and generally cost loads to keep onthe go.

Funny how most of these rubbish cars were British :D.

Me x4 Mini's, yellow one, full roof slidy sun roof, the rear sub frame snapped going over a large bump:p. This car before the sub frame snap, I drove home from Cardiff with a hole in the rad! stopping about every 30 miles to top up, good old days:D.

Blue Mini van, was mi dads he passed it on to me, I painted a white roof on it, white wheels and orange fur in the cab :crazy:. Crashed it into a farmers hedge.(my only accident)

1275GT a mate rebuilt the engine and it wasn't right after that, but before it had a lovely crackle from the exhaust, like a back fire.

All had rubbish brakes:p but great great fun and sooooo easy to work on, mind you they had to be!

I miss my MK1 golf cabrio as well ....

Seats perpetually damp from the leaking hood , strange creaking noises from the front suspension , the way it ran out of go at just the wrong moment ( usualy as you were right alongside someone on a country road with a blind left hander coming , as 19 yr olds are prone to doing )

Here's a rather younger ( and slimmer ) version of me with her ..... she was a good old bus !

n720961813_498968_5079.jpg

You look like (especially the hair) Guy Pratt!

Can you play the bass guitar?

That was 15 years ago :eek:

No , no guitar playing skills of any kind ... i bought myself a Strat copy a few years back , and while it looks very nice leaning up against my telly , i have never learned how to play it ...

In retrospect , buying myself the book 'Teach yourself the songs of Pink Floyd' was a bad idea .... i found that i couldn't even bend my fingers into the correct shape for some of the chords , let alone actually play another note afterwards and so gave up :eek:

I had a Nissan Patrol:-
DSC00276.JPG

I bought it off eBay without looking where it was, I had to fly to Aberdoom and get a 50 minute taxi to get it and it was snowing at the time. I had to drive it back 480 miles and I hated every minute of it. When I got it back I didn't drive it much but I took it off road a few times and it was truly amazing. Horrible interior, no acceleration, zero refinement, noisey, hugely uneconomical but I actually miss it and I will have another albeit a later 3.0Di.

I haven't really had another car I didn't like, I guess my first car my little Skoda Felicia was pretty rubbish but I did loads of miles in it, and because it was my first car I drove it like either

• My pants where on fire
  • I was on a special rally stage
It never broke down on me! I left it once in a car park in Southend and came back to find it gone. Sad times, why would anyone steal a Felicia?

My Renault 21 Turbo when I was 19
Unreliable badly built French turd. But I loved it and would have another in a shot.

I fitted a hybrid turbo and had it chipped and it flew (250BHP) but it used to break down all the time.

I did love that car. (scrapped it for £150 in the end)

My 1st, best, worst guys in my motoring history.....

1st - 1300GLS Vauxhall Chevette

Best - Rover SDI Vitesse

Worst - Rover 216 "grandad" wagon

Since many more not listed... My all time best is my current car which im sure will drain my wallet quite easily...

I had a Marcos 1983 3.0 V6 once. It was useless: always overheating, everything continuously broke/fell off.

But when it worked, it was great! PLG 920Y is still out there somewhere.......

Bright yellow Punto GT with a magnex exhaust load enough to make my ears bleed.

Loads of lag, terminal understeer and brutal ride quality.

But the only car i have ever truly loved,:eek:

still miss it 13 years on:(

My 1988 Range Rover Vogue in which I fitted a 4.6 Rover V8 with TVR internals and a decent road suspension set up (for towing a trailer daily). I owned that for 7 years and loved it. I had to sell it as my wife at the time was learning to drive and we couldn't get her insured on it. Outwardly it was very clean and absolutely standard.

It rotted terribly underneath, averaged 12mpg and continually required bushes replacing (even once I'd polybushed the entire chassis).

It was the only time I've been genuinely sad to see a car go the day I sold it.

I did once have an accident it in, I rear ended a rover 800 at about 15 mph (totally my fault - driver went to pull out at a junction, changed his mind - I didn't change my mind!) and completely destroyed the entire back end of the Rover, I needed new fog lights and the plastic bits on the front. I've had a soft spot for Range Rovers ever since.

my fiesta RS Turbo, great fun, but had some electrical gremlins which meant it spent alot of time in the garage being diagnosed, amongst the other issues!

I'll never forget my...you've guessed it...Renault12ts. High back seats and a twin choke carb...wow...but rusty as hell and not a very reliable starter on a cold mid winter morning, but everybody else either had no car or some home grown crap.

Not really had a worst car. I had a 205 1.1 for a little while that was the least fun and I owned for the shortest period - bought it to use for work when I was based in an office in an iffy area.

I did thoroughly enjoy being able to park anywhere and next to anything or anyone without worrying about it.

Lime Green Renault 16 auto (no 1st gear) so only two left..

Drove round Europe - only broke down once, in Italy - had to coax it over Pyrenees ...but what great seats .big leather armchairs and a canvas sunroof...Yes I would have another now ..lol..but by god was I glad to get rid of this one when I had it....think it became personal friends with the local AA man.

We still refer to "Reggie the pig" when talking about cars.. :)

Just like this one - (not mine)

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Renault_16_SX.jpg

Last edited:
MG Montego turbo what a bucket of C*** it was but what a rapid car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom