Cars you've owned that are still on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
FP-S12E15.png

None of mine are worth owning after me, a bit like my women.

As usual, I am full of it!

The only one of mine still on the road is a 1982 MGB LE Roadster. It was up for sale on Carandclassic a few months back. Its not too surprising the others are not still running. I keep them a long time and the last time I bought a car (the SLK) was over 12 years ago.

My old Sunbeam Tiger, which I sold in 1976, is still around, which I wish I still had.

I sold two cars last year, one which I bought for a bet (an Austin Allegro), and the other was my first MB ever, which I'd owned for 15 years or so, a 300CE. The Allegro served its purpose, but had a few mechanical issues and was forgotten about until a few months after its mot had expired. The best decision was to sell it to the garage owner that failed it, which I did about a year ago.

The CE hadn't been used for about three years, other than for mots, and had been parked next door to a building site latterly. A neighbour passed on my number to an interested buyer who was looking for a project since retiring and moving south. We eventually struck a deal last October, by which time he was moving back to the north, to take the CE with him as a keeper.

I was therefore surprised last Thursday to receive a phone call from someone that was interested in buying the CE. It turns out he had come down from Surrey to look at a few cars going through a local classic car auction the next day, in Poole. As I was in the neighbourhood, I offered to come and meet him, as I was curious to see my "first MB love" again! I arrived at the auction site, and figuring I'd find him by the car, went searching, and there it was - the Allegro!! With a crowd - I couldn't believe it!

After a quick walk around the lot, I couldn't see the CE, so phoned him to make sure I was at the right auction, which I was. I met him at reception, and he took to me another building, which was full of other cars, ready for the auction the next day. I phoned the guy I sold it to, who didn't have room himself with the house move, so he sold it locally to another "enthusiast", who I guess was the current seller. Wheels had been swapped, and a poor repair had been carried out on the driver's seat bolster, but otherwise she looked good, as she always did.

I went to the auction the next day, and watched the Allegro sell for £550, and the CE sell for £2300, so look out for this one, but be careful of mechanical issues (start/idle/misfire).

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_3488cr.jpg
    DSC_3488cr.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_3489cr.jpg
    DSC_3489cr.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 63
I can remember all the cars I've owned but cannot remember the reg. Now this is good exercise to will have rummage around in company files and see what I can come up with.
1972. Vauxhall Victor
1972. Datsun Sunny Estate
1975. Datsun 180B Estate
1977. Datsun 180B Estate
1979. Datsun 260C
1982. Datsun 280C
1986. Jaguar XJ6 4.2 (A real LEMON)
1987. Volvo 244 GLE (Saved my live in a motorway crash, Great car)
1990. Volvo 850 GT
1992. Volvo 760 GLE
1994. Jaguar XJ6 (Second attempt, waste of time, spent more time in the garage)
1997. Vauxhall Omega 2.5
2001. Lexus LS 400
2017. ??????
2007 Jensen Interceptor Mk3 (A moment of madness)

I checked the plate on one of my dads old cars and found that it had been clocked TWICE after he owned it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom