Carsoft i980 and w204 ABS/ESP problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sceh

Car
w123 240TD
Just bought a new Carsoft 1980 for my 2012 w204 c180cdi.
When I connect it and diagnose it can't connect to the ESP or ADS modules in the car (says they don't exist) and I can't see why I have the ABS and ESP lights on. I suspect a wheel sensor but Carsoft gives me no info.

Any ideas or should I send it back right away?

Nope - it's worse.

It can't connect in manual mode to ESP. ADS, WSS, SRS PSD,PTS, STH, MPCU

Now either there is some big issue or I am doing something wrong. In the AUTO mode it seems to find everything but most of the above are not in the final menu.

All I have is the ABS and ESP lights on the dash..

I have seen a video of the i980 diagnosing ABS sensors and clearing the code, so yours may be faulty or a cheap copy. Where did you buy it from ??

I bought it directly from Carsoft and also upgraded the software since they supplied it in German only..
I also saw the video and there are others but I only have ESP and ADS on the manual scan and only ESP on auto and no mention of ABS or wheel sensors. I have a few more things I might check and then it is going back.
There are worse tools - try Tachyon for Toyota - you basically pay 100 pounds for something to tell you the engine revs

Known problem

I have been in contact with Carsoft and also Diagnostic World. It seems that there is a known problem with reading some of the data from the w204 pre-facelift (2011) and including the ABS/ESP/Wheel sensors and possibly others. So, if this is what you want it for, don't buy it because it simply does not work.
The Youtube videos are for much older cars and show it working for ABS but for mine it certainly does not

I have been in contact with Carsoft and also Diagnostic World. It seems that there is a known problem with reading some of the data from the w204 pre-facelift (2011) and including the ABS/ESP/Wheel sensors and possibly others. So, if this is what you want it for, don't buy it because it simply does not work.
The Youtube videos are for much older cars and show it working for ABS but for mine it certainly does not

I had a problem with the 980 also as it wouldn't read some data I wanted in the end I sent it back and upgraded to the MB II unit much better but in the end I bought a Star unit which is so so much better, it would be nice if I knew how to use it lol

So how come it isn't fixed by either Carsoft or MB I wonder. I reckon MB follow the protocol rules but I could be wrong.
My interactions with Carsoft were initially really quick and helpful until they asked me for the VIN - then radio silence form both the US and Europe but I will keep pushing for an explanation and post it when I get it.
After all the hassle and time, STAR looks cheap..

I bought the BMW Specific Icarsoft to diagnose ABS and PDC faults on two BMW's. It did not work on either despite claims that it does/should/will. Their support does not answer the phone or email(s).

On both cars it can see (well it says it can see) the ECU's in question. It then tells me that they have no errors, despite both clearly having errors on the dashboard and obviously in their lack of operation.

I have cone to the conclusion that I have bought an expensive box with a screen that just puts up random numbers.

It has two modes - auto and manual. In auto it scans each ECU and indicates 100% (success?) but then in manual mode when you select some of them it says that either the ECU is not fitted on the car or it has trouble communicating with it. Carsoft even said I probably don't have ABS which is why etc - BS. It also indicates things which are not errors - short circuit in the A/C pump which means it can't work but it does. Errors on the dash while telling me there are no DTCs.
I didn't dare try a reset of DTCs since I have no idea what might happen. I sent it back.
I did once use an ODB reader on my Toyota ad it completely wrecked the car to the point that it would not start so I am taking no chances.
I am not sure who invented this device or if Carsoft actually have engineers. ALl a big mystery.

ABS, ESP and run-flat all depend on the wheel speed sensor so I took a punt on the rear kerbside wheel and found it had a sensor open-circuited

I can say that my i980 can read and clear SRS faults. - I can't say for certain that it sees (or fixes) ABS or ESP faults.

It can't see modules that aren't powered-up; so if the accessories are on, but not the ignition, it can't see things like the engine or gearbox.

It depends on the car model though. I have a list of functions by car type but can't post it since it is PDF and a few bytes over the limit. Can't zip it either since this is invalid.
However, the list is the theory since in practice it seems not to be accurate for the w204.

Are there other options than the Carsoft? It's the only one I've read on here about, but I've read bad things about it.

It depends on the car model though. I have a list of functions by car type but can't post it since it is PDF and a few bytes over the limit. Can't zip it either since this is invalid.
However, the list is the theory since in practice it seems not to be accurate for the w204.

It didn't do much on my uncle's S-Class. He had problems with his parking sensors, but it couldn't see them. - On mine it gives the reading from each sensor so that you can diagnose the one that's playing-up.

I'm surprised it's so hit-and-miss. I just assumed it was that my uncle's car is that little bit older than mine, but a W204 should be younger. :dk:

I got the 980 to check my DPF levels when I couldn't read it I spoke to them and they said that the 980 would never be updated to read the DPF so I asked about the MB II and they said yes this will read the DPF levels (this from Carsoft via emails) so when I plugged it in I got these reading :dk: it don't tell you the max level so you don't know if it full close to full empty etc etc. As I said in the end I bought a Star unit from a fellow member and been happy with it. I expect you can do lots with it but haven't a clue how to use it. I expect you just have to set n play and see what it does but just don't get the time.

Attachments

• IMG_2384.jpg
    IMG_2384.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 16
I was thinking of buying one for my S-class so interesting reading your experiences of using this tool. May hold back and get a Star unit instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom