Cash free living.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Although it is much easier to make cashless payments for normal day to day buying from big chains, the smaller business could suffer. I know a lot of fast food places (chip shops, fried chicken shops, kebab shops) all like to take cash as they can declare what they want to an extent but even some of these have gone cashless during Covid. If everyone has to take cashless payments, these smaller businesses will have to put prices up to cover costs.

What about buying on ebay/facebook/gumtree/car boots etc? If you find an item for sale locally, what do you do in a cashless society? Give out your bank details? I would rather use cash as a seller or buyer.

A cheque has your bank details

businesses pay for more to bank cash than they do in card processing fees

How do you pay a cheque in via a 'phone banking app? (I'm just curious; I've no intention of banking by 'phone, for security reasons.)

Yup as KennyN mentioned the app accesses the camera and you capture an image of each side of the cheque. Then you confirm the amount, and it's submitted. Very similar to using the paying in machines at a branch, but quicker!

I've avoided banking apps until very recently, but the ability to pay in cheques swung it for me. When you start the app it first authenticates the handset you're using, then you have to supply a fingerprint (Mrs BTB's iPhone uses face recognition instead). I only use the app at home (on my own secure WiFi), so I'm happy that the security is OK.

Take a picture of both sides of the cheque via the phone banking app , done it a few times seamlessly recently due to RFL refunds.

Never had any "security" issues with online banking either through a phone app or via my laptop. The only fraud i have ever had is with my credit card around 20 years ago.

K
Yes, with the 'digital' paying in of cheques, I have found no reason to actually visit a bank at all.

I'm just about to move to within 5 mins dog walk of one of the best Chinese takeaways in in Norfolk, and one we used to have to drive a few miles to when we were last in the 'Far East'. I can order and pay over the phone:)
come on we need the name, location and phone number of this chinese take away to be able to try it

come on we need the name, location and phone number of this chinese take away to be able to try it
Chopstick House
88c Norwich Rd, Tacolneston, Norwich NR16 1BY
01508 488222
I've lived 'up north' for the last 6 years and never found anywhere that comes close to this small village gem.

Do many places still accept personal cheques?

probably not😁

but too many people worry about “sharing” bank details...

A while back somebody in Hull successfully set up two direct debits onto my main current account - seems this is quite easy to do if you have the sort code and account number ...

Online banking is a safe bet. Banks are a key the most risk averse businesses in the world and they take steps to masked sure that their service is as secure as possible. Much more secure that’s the vast majority of online service or websites, and then in the event of a fraudulent payment they will refund the money until they’ve investigated it. Seems to provide ample assurance for me.

No compare that to swiping a card in a small business, or providing details over the phone in a call centre, that’s a much riskier proposition. I’m not sure how common it is these days but double-swiping credit cards was rife in inner-city and urban petrol stations when I worked in the banking industry.

Until this year my wife didn't take card payments in her hairdressing business. For the 20 years she's been running the business she's never had to pay for banking cash or cheques. Since reopening after the Covid lockdown she has been accepting card payments as improved safety - the merchant charges are significant and she has put up her charges for everyone to cover those increased costs. Little is free in this life: we all have to pay for the convenience of cashless transactions.

Until this year my wife didn't take card payments in her hairdressing business. For the 20 years she's been running the business she's never had to pay for banking cash or cheques. Since reopening after the Covid lockdown she has been accepting card payments as improved safety - the merchant charges are significant and she has put up her charges for everyone to cover those increased costs. Little is free in this life: we all have to pay for the convenience of cashless transactions.
I believe believe transaction fees with Barclays Merchant Services are currently around 1.25% so that’s about £1.25 on my wife’s haircut, or 13p for mine (although my wife cuts it for me at home since lockdown started). I wouldn’t object to a small business putting up it’s prices by 1.25% to cover this card payments.

probably not😁

but too many people worry about “sharing” bank details...

I agree. I personally don't and wouldn't worry if I was accepting a payment. As you said, there are a lot of people who will not share bank details making payments harder. I even know a guy who will still not use online banking as he too afraid of fraud. Not sure if he used chip and pin or contactless either!

Chopstick House
88c Norwich Rd, Tacolneston, Norwich NR16 1BY
01508 488222
I've lived 'up north' for the last 6 years and never found anywhere that comes close to this small village gem.
thanks for that. I know that one having passed it whilst out delivering. but I live in North Norfolk:wallbash:

wonder if they cook using the rf energy from tacolneston transmitter??

As I've previously mentioned I drive a taxi, a trade that's normally associated with cash only payments. In the last few weeks that I've been back at work only around 2% of customers are paying by card, even though I have the facility for card and phone payments and signs in the taxi to show that. Not sure whether that's just for my region or country wide but my experience is people still use cash.

As I've previously mentioned I drive a taxi, a trade that's normally associated with cash only payments. In the last few weeks that I've been back at work only around 2% of customers are paying by card, even though I have the facility for card and phone payments and signs in the taxi to show that. Not sure whether that's just for my region or country wide but my experience is people still use cash.
3 of my homies are London black cab drivers. Or at least they were until mid-March.

One of them now delivers shopping for Tesco, another drives an HGV for Asda and the other has a wife who earns loads of dough.

The one with the wife who earns loads of dough took delivery of a brand new electric cab March 1

thanks for that. I know that one having passed it whilst out delivering. but I live in North Norfolk:wallbash:

wonder if they cook using the rf energy from tacolneston transmitter??
Yeah! Tacolneston is the sort of place where the wedding is rubbish but the reception is fantastic🙃

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom