Cashless Chaos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They’re trying cashless out at my local Tyne Tunnel using ANPR to log non payers with 24 hours to pay or receive a £30 penalty. I feel sorry for visitors who don’t know the score or people without internet use. A cashless society will open up a whole can of worm, nowt worse than waiting to be served at the bar and your waiting for someone to pay for a half of coke with a card

If cashless will hold the queue up and escalate people to the next price bracket, the airport have succeded in their aim to suck as much out of people as they can.

It is the same at Manchest Airport.

I wasn't 100% sure of how things worked, but I once tried to drop off my son at the roundabout approaching the pay lane, only to be greeted by a pitbull type high-vis clad women who stood in front of me whilst on the radio to security, quoting my VRM and screaming that I was trying to run her over by very slowly continuing around the roundabout after my son had left the car.

"IN THERE! IN THERE!" she shouted, pointing to the money trap lane.

To avoid the fuss, I drove through and paid my £3.

Lovely!

You'd have a got a penalty notice if you hadn't paid - and at Manchester they're backed by 'proper' law so you can't avoid them.

Manchester airport is such a hateful place - I wouldn't mind if it was easier to reach by train, the train from the next village to us goes right past the airport but we'd have to go into Manchester centre and then out again, vs a 40 min drive.

I only used to fly once every 3 months, but I'm not missing it at all.

They’re trying cashless out at my local Tyne Tunnel using ANPR to log non payers with 24 hours to pay or receive a £30 penalty. I feel sorry for visitors who don’t know the score or people without internet use. A cashless society will open up a whole can of worm, nowt worse than waiting to be served at the bar and your waiting for someone to pay for a half of coke with a card
Went to the pub the other night and all payment were contactless, quicker than cash, having to go to the till, get change. I thought contact less was brought in to save handling money during covid, and I believe the limit was increased from £30 to £45.

nowt worse than waiting to be served at the bar and your waiting for someone to pay for a half of coke with a card
Surely contactless payments are just as fast - or faster - than cash?

Parking meters were replaced with Pay-by-Phone a very long time ago and we all got used to it just fine... including tourists.

And many of the 'Atrisan' coffee shops around some parts of London have gone cashless a few years back now.

Most millennials don't even carry cash any more, with many not even carrying cards - just their phones.

The issue isn't with going cashless as such... as always, the issue is with competent management and good communication.

Reactions: 219
We have had a few power cuts in this area recently, one last night, covering quite a large area lasted somewhat over 30 minutes.

I gather some eating houses, and no doubt other venues closed because they couldn't take cashless payments. I have a 7kw generator at home, and I would have thought that any prudent business which is reliant on electricity would have an adequate alternate power source.

Until recently when there was a power cut everything at the 'pub continued as normal, fire stoked up, candles lit, and we all paid with cash.

NJSS

Parking meters were replaced with Pay-by-Phone a very long time ago and we all got used to it just fine... including tourists.

And many of the 'Atrisan' coffee shops around some parts of London have gone cashless a few years back now.

Most millennials don't even carry cash any more, with many not even carrying cards - just their phones.

The issue isn't with going cashless as such... as always, the issue is with competent management and good communication.
Not just millennials, sadly I’m a teeny bit outside the technical definition of a millennial, but I don’t carry cash either.

The only place I need cash is my favourite Chinese takeaway, for which I dip into the children’s envelopes containing the money our children received for Christmas and birthdays. It’s important they learn to pay their way from an early age.

Exactly.

The chaos at BHX wasn't caused by only accepting cashless payments, rather that people could only find out that was the case after they had committed to using the facility.

I can’t remember the last time I used cash but it was definitely last year, even our site canteens accept ApplePay for a 90p tea.

I sold a bike back in June and the guy paid the £700 in twenties which are still upstairs in my Calvins draw.

We were in Skiathos & Parga for a few weeks and I only used Euros for the odd coffee or loaf of bread. Everything else is card or ApplePay.

Is that cashless do you know ? I have to go to Stansted on Monday, this is to pick up my son
Just been through the airport to the services , my earlier post re the mid stay needs revising... its shut! and the free drop off signs are all taped over:oops:
Don't stop and wait on any of the approach roads either as its a £100 fine , if you need to wait you can stop in some pull ins in bury lodge lane towards Stansted Mountfitchet or Parsonage Rd towards Takeley

Just been through the airport to the services , my earlier post re the mid stay needs revising... its shut! and the free drop off signs are all taped over:oops:
Don't stop and wait on any of the approach roads either as its a £100 fine , if you need to wait you can stop in some pull ins in bury lodge lane towards Stansted Mountfitchet or Parsonage Rd towards Takeley
Just pay a few quid and stop at the drop off. Ffs

We have had a few power cuts in this area recently, one last night, covering quite a large area lasted somewhat over 30 minutes.

I gather some eating houses, and no doubt other venues closed because they couldn't take cashless payments. I have a 7kw generator at home, and I would have thought that any prudent business which is reliant on electricity would have an adequate alternate power source.

Until recently when there was a power cut everything at the 'pub continued as normal, fire stoked up, candles lit, and we all paid with cash.

NJSS
It is a bit difficult to cook without power, bit dark in the kitchen so I guess no food, no food bill.

As regards the fire stoked up bit, I guess your pub didn't sell chilled beers :)

Using ANPR in that way will just encourage false number plates .

Exactly.

The chaos at BHX wasn't caused by only accepting cashless payments, rather that people could only find out that was the case after they had committed to using the facility.
That , I would suggest , is unlawful .

Cashless Chaos= Another Conspiracy Theory. Although I believe everything I read, I am somewhat concerned what to do with all my cash takings if I'm unable to spend anywhere.

Cashless Chaos= Another Conspiracy Theory. Although I believe everything I read, I am somewhat concerned what to do with all my cash takings if I'm unable to spend anywhere.
Currency = cash is just a proxy for barter .

Without assets , which have value to others , against which currency is a proxy , there can be no value ; hence when bankrupt societies print increasing quantities of valueless cash , it is meaningless : look at the Reichmark .

Currency = cash is just a proxy for barter .

Without assets , which have value to others , against which currency is a proxy , there can be no value ; hence when bankrupt societies print increasing quantities of valueless cash , it is meaningless : look at the Reichmark .
I see a not too distant future of economic distress of savings evaporating and hyperinflation. Putting money/cash into assets, real estate and commodities would be one way of safeguarding what little I have.

I can’t remember the last time I used cash but it was definitely last year, even our site canteens accept ApplePay for a 90p tea.

I sold a bike back in June and the guy paid the £700 in twenties which are still upstairs in my Calvins draw.

We were in Skiathos & Parga for a few weeks and I only used Euros for the odd coffee or loaf of bread. Everything else is card or ApplePay.
90p for a cup of tea !!!!

In ours , take your own teabag and the hot water is free ... Earl Gray or Chai ?

Picked up my son from Stansted on Monday , if anyone knows the airport, I drove along the road directly outside the front of the terminal , my son got in, all of 2 mins and it cost me £5. There is a mid stay car park that @Wagon mentioned, but it was closed, that would have been free for up to 30 mins (bit of a difference!) Hey ho :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom