Casting iOS devices to Sony Bravia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PXW

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model 3 AWD Performance; MG ZS EV
Hi all - hoping someone can help here. I've recently got a new TV - lovely 65" Bravia 4K. Very happy with it. Except, it works with Miracast, or seems to be able to work with Googlecast. But it can't without an extra device seem to do Apple AirPlay.

I know I can fix the issue by getting an Apple TV (2nd gen or later, I think). But I already have Virgin, Netflix, Amazon, all the catch up services - more channels than I can shake a stick at, so I'm not interested in all the features of Apple TV - I just want to be able to show photos, screen images etc from my iPad/iPhone without using a cable adapter and trailing a long HDMI cable across the room.

Does anyone know if any of the "sticks" you can find are suitable - seen various things on t'internet advertised that claim to do the job for about £15, but I'm not sure what will work? Or alternatively is there a stable app I should install to do the same job from the iOS side?

TIA

While it doesn't use AirPlay the Sky+ App has the ability to show photos on the screen at the hit of a button in the app, so maybe Virgin has something similar with their app?

You're right, Apple TV 2nd gen onwards does AirPlay seemlessly and with almost no perceivable delay, but I understand your problem of not wanting yet another thing just for that.

You can "AirPlay" to Chromecast from the various non Apple apps on iOS, as they'll look for the Chromecast. https://www.5kplayer.com/airplay/new-chromecast-airplay-ios-hdtv.htm

There doesn't seem to be any direct integration like you get so flawlessly to the Apple TV though.

I don't have a direct solution for your challenge re. displaying photos on your phone to the TV, but one thing that I found works pretty well is the YouTube app on your iPhone casting/syncing with the YouTube app that Sony TVs have built in. No cables required!

My limited experience is that the only way to get seamless AirPlay is via an Apple TV box. I appreciate that you don't really want another device, and I am not an AV expert so possibly there are ways around it, but for me this is what worked best after trying various alternatives for my (LG) TV.

Airtame 2 support both Miracast and Apple protocols.

This thread is six years old guys :)

This thread is six years old guys :)

Missed that...

On closer look, it's the only post made by user 'kiojytm' from LA... and Apple Quicktime was discontinued 7 years ago......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom