Castrol SLX Longlife II 0W-30

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BimMerc

hi all!

does anybody know if this oil is any good for a w202 C220 96'?
fully synthetic 0w-30

thanks all!

BimMerc said:
hi all!

does anybody know if this oil is any good for a w202 C220 96'?
fully synthetic 0w-30

thanks all!

this is the stuff they use in the new vw bora tdi engines.

it is a longlife fully synthetic oil which costs about 42 quid for 4litres from german and swedish.

cool, it sounds okay for the job then. I have just bought 50L of it (for merc and bmw).

:)

I think I am right in that the new LongLife oils as used by VAG are only for (LongLife) use in VAG engines, I would not use it in any other engine and certainly not leave it in there for 40K-50K miles.

hi there!

yep its used by VW, but as they keep it in there for ages, I always change the oil regularly anyway, so it wouldnt be in there as long as th vw's.
its fully synthetic oil, and used by BMW aswell.

jimmy said:
I think I am right in that the new LongLife oils as used by VAG are only for (LongLife) use in VAG engines, I would not use it in any other engine and certainly not leave it in there for 40K-50K miles.

vag specifies this oil as longlife but it must be changed after 2 yrs maximum anyway ,and the engine computer monitors how the engine is used and may trigger an earlier service depending on how the car is driven

hi sps

thats the feeling i got, its got the additives which helps it keep its viscosity, so i thought it must be pretty good, even though i change the oil every 10k anyway.

i have a bmw which uses the same oil, with the similar servicing setup to vw.

im sure it will be okay in the mercedes, as i said, 10k max is all i want it to do, and if it is as they say, and it keeps its viscosity longer, it should do the job :)

wasnt cheap for the 50l barrel though, but still its bought!

How much was it? :)

better to change every 9k with fully synth

BimMerc said:
hi mate, i got it for £120 :)

Not bad - works out around £12 for a 5L can. :)

If I was doing a lot of oil changes, and that oil met my needs I'd be happy with that. At present I settle for the Halford's fully synthetic 5W-40. Normally £30ish a can, but they do a buy one, get one free deal every now and then - works out a £15/can. :)

I used to use Mobil 1 - and very good it is too, just can't justify the cost compared to the Halfords stuff (IIRC Mobil 1 is £35/40 for 4L - £80 for an oil change!)

Cheers,

Will

Edit - I remember seeing someone on eBay selling 2x 4L cans of Mobil 1 at around £42 BIN with a £10 P&P. Considering it for the next one... ;)

Seems very expensive to me. I use Carlube Gold 10W 40 SJ or SL grade oil at 4000 mile intervals in my W124 230E and have covered 263,000 miles without replacing anything except service items. Runs perfectly, uses negligable oil between changes and only costs about £6.50 for 5ltrs, a real bargain!

Karl said:
Seems very expensive to me. I use Carlube Gold 10W 40 SJ or SL grade oil at 4000 mile intervals in my W124 230E and have covered 263,000 miles without replacing anything except service items. Runs perfectly, uses negligable oil between changes and only costs about £6.50 for 5ltrs, a real bargain!

Probably fine for a 230E - but for modern twin-cam, multivalve engines, many people prefer to use a fully synthetic oil these days.

Mobil 1 is considered to be one of the best, if a little expensive at full RRP.

Glad to hear the W124 is fairing well on your choice. :cool:

Will

Karl said:
Wow - that's a lot of oil changes :eek:

Don't know if it's a regular thing but I bought some of that stuff (is that the one that says it's synthetic on the container, but it isn't?) from Macro recently where it was £1.99/Litre - BUT with 100% extra free. So I got 6L for £6!! Great to throw into my company Peugeot.

Castrol SLX is what MB Coventry use as their standard oil during services. I did a little research and it seems like good stuff.

I would like to try to get it a little cheaper, however I think MB charge about £12 a litre.

If you were closer mate (Yorkshire) I would let you have some of mine, got 50 litres of it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom