Cat amongst pigeons time...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I`ve done both (zip merging not intentional) and it can be be dodgy trying to merge when some people just won`t let you!

Had a guy in an Aston try that once - the look on his face was priceless, if you ride parallel to the space between two cars give at least three seconds indication then move if they won't let you in it is illegal so just keep moving across gently till something happens.

Yes but it gets the traffic through the restriction quicker forward of where you sit because there is less of it to get through the restriction. I wouldn't mind a bet that Ambulance Drivers are taught to do this in this situation to save those precious moments....

Problem is I suspect it is illegal and according to this article creates a longer tail back.

Read that back to yourself & have another think? (Especially about the whole point of the article and why using 2 lanes is quicker for everyone)

Russ

A friend who designs roads for a living once told me that their traffic flow calculations are based on drivers using both lanes up to the narrowing point, and that merging early simply increases the tailback for no reason.
He's probably right.. BUT road designers tend to forget that people do not work quite as well as their computer models. All of us would love to drive to the end of a dual carriageway that becomes one lane and simply filter in (zipper effect) one car after another, left/right/left/right..after you sir ,just as the lane you are in disappears.

Humans don't work that way. Its the same reason most of our roundabouts are not 'round' (circular) and most have a great big mound of dirt on them , or a small forest so you can't see what's coming. Don't get me started on curves in the road that tighten up or are off camber for no real reason.

Road 'engineering'....it's for your own safety...not.

[YOUTUBE HD][/YOUTUBE HD]
He's probably right.. BUT road designers tend to forget that people do not work quite as well as their computer models. All of us would love to drive to the end of a dual carriageway that becomes one lane and simply filter in (zipper effect) one car after another, left/right/left/right..after you sir ,just as the lane you are in disappears.

Humans don't work that way...

They do (mostly) when they're on foot. Imagine the fights up and down the high streets of this country otherwise. Put them in the safety bubble of their car however and all bets are off.

Read that back to yourself & have another think? (Especially about the whole point of the article and why using 2 lanes is quicker for everyone)

Russ

The info I gave is spot on. The key being "forward of where you sit".

I was thinking of E Services and how they may be taught to get through situations like this, for them if both lanes are not full it is beneficial to block one lane from further adding to the number of vehicles to pass the restriction, this then should then allow them to clear the obstruction quicker by stopping those only thinking of themselves and bombing by....yes...??

I was thinking of E Services and how they may be taught to get through situations like this, for them if both lanes are not full it is beneficial to block one lane from further adding to the number of vehicles to pass the restriction, this then should then allow them to clear the obstruction quicker by stopping those only thinking of themselves and bombing by....yes...??
No, I think you have it wrong on every level

You are welcome to think what ever you like.

Yes but it gets the traffic through the restriction quicker forward of where you sit because there is less of it to get through the restriction. I wouldn't mind a bet that Ambulance Drivers are taught to do this in this situation to save those precious moments....

Problem is I suspect it is illegal and according to this article creates a longer tail back.

Under normal conditions the quickest way through these types of hold up is to approach from the side, the further around the side you approach from the greater priority you will have to move through the restriction in best time, be it traffic or standing in line at an event - it is the same maths that describes the movement.

If the restriction is 'standing in line at an event' and you 'approach from the side', you may well invite a punch in the face from somebody who objects to you queue-jumping...

Had a guy in an Aston try that once - the look on his face was priceless, if you ride parallel to the space between two cars give at least three seconds indication then move if they won't let you in it is illegal so just keep moving across gently till something happens.

So if you give three seconds or more indication you are legally entitled to move into any gap? First I've heard of this; do tell us where the Highway Code or other authority says this.

Do try it with White Van Man in a rusty, battered old Transit; the 'something' that will happen will be damage to your car...

So if you give three seconds or more indication you are legally entitled to move into any gap? First I've heard of this; do tell us where the Highway Code or other authority says this.

Do try it with White Van Man in a rusty, battered old Transit; the 'something' that will happen will be damage to your car...

In NZL you are not allowed to deliberately obstruct a turning vehicle in this situation. Are you telling me you are allowed to do that in the UK....?

Never had a problem with vans but I did have some nutter try it on then call the Police who looked at HIS evidence on film and gave HIM the Infringement Notice, that was a classic.

Mathematically correct, I have no doubt, but think again. In the real world, I suggest emergency service drivers are taught to put the blues and twos on. In that circumstance, the two lanes invariably zip-merge to allow them past. Empirical observation suggests this is so.

If the restriction is 'standing in line at an event' and you 'approach from the side', you may well invite a punch in the face from somebody who objects to you queue-jumping...

What makes you think I do this, I'm just telling you the science for the quickest way through this situation.

And, even if I did do it how do you or they know why it was being done.

And, if anybody hit me in the face it may well be the last thing they ever did depending on how hard they hit me.

In NZL you are not allowed to deliberately obstruct a turning vehicle in this situation. Are you telling me you are allowed to do that in the UK....?

Never had a problem with vans but I did have some nutter try it on then call the Police who looked at HIS evidence on film and gave HIM the Infringement Notice, that was a classic.

Ah! NOW I see. You're in NZ. Did it not occur to you that the rules and customs might be different in the UK?

I'm afraid much of what you're advocating IS nonsense - in the UK.

No. not at all, are you telling me in the UK you are allowed to deliberately obstruct a turning vehicle in this situation because you just feel like it?

Just how close to the car in front of you do you think you are allowed to be when moving...?

Last edited:
Mathematically correct, I have no doubt, but think again. In the real world, I suggest emergency service drivers are taught to put the blues and twos on. In that circumstance, the two lanes invariably zip-merge to allow them past. Empirical observation suggests this is so.

I was referring to one lane free except for bombers, please take the time to read the posts carefully and not bait.

What makes you think I do this, I'm just telling you the science for the quickest way through this situation.

And, even if I did do it how do you or they know why it was being done.

And, if anybody hit me in the face it may well be the last thing they ever did depending on how hard they hit me.

That is a generalised 'you', not a specific one. I can see why you're (specific 'you' there...) so touchy, though; you're giving advice based on NZ rules and customs, and we're interpreting it in the light of UK rules and customs.

There's not much courtesy or consideration on British roads these days; I suspect you are more civilized in NZ.

I've asked the Mods to tidy this up I'm sure they'll be along soon enough.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom