Cat c cars....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A friend bought a Cat C 911. When he encountered a problem, he took to the local Porsche dealer who refused to touch it. I am not sure if this is commonplace but it is worth mentioning.

The only way I'd consider something of this nature is if I knew what had caused it to be categorised. In so much as you know the car or have seen photographs of the problem/accident/flood etc.

I once bought a Cat D 560SEC which had been "written off" as every panel had been keyed and the cost of a full respray at Mercedes prices plus a rental car was enough for the insurers to cut their losses.

Nothing wrong with the car mechanically, I later had it inspected by Autolign who passed the car and the Cat D alert is removed and replaced by "condition inspected" meaning it is mechanically sound.

The inspection is a thorough going over of the car. Even the paint thickness of each panel is measured, it was up on ramps for nearly two hours and all brake, suspension and major structural components were checked for signs of repair/replacement.

some cat c on classic cars with no major damage, but always ask for them to produce pics of damage so u can check out repair, if they do not the run million miles away as they are hiding something

The only way I'd consider something of this nature is if I knew what had caused it to be categorised. In so much as you know the car or have seen photographs of the problem/accident/flood etc.

I once bought a Cat D 560SEC which had been "written off" as every panel had been keyed and the cost of a full respray at Mercedes prices plus a rental car was enough for the insurers to cut their losses.

Nothing wrong with the car mechanically, I later had it inspected by Autolign who passed the car and the Cat D alert is removed and replaced by "condition inspected" meaning it is mechanically sound.

The inspection is a thorough going over of the car. Even the paint thickness of each panel is measured, it was up on ramps for nearly two hours and all brake, suspension and major structural components were checked for signs of repair/replacement.

Was the car clean on HPI after the cat D removed?

Was the car clean on HPI after the cat D removed?

No it shows as "Condition Inspected" on HPI, or it did at the time.

Back when all this occurred a Cat D car was 30% to 40% below book value.

Changing it to Condition Inspected made this around 10% to 20% below book, but it did remove a lot of the stigma.

This was all a number of years ago so I'm not sure if anything has changed.

How much is it up for and what % is it cheaper than a hpi clear example?

Be aware that some insurance companies get a bit fussy about covering a CAT c/d car.

My mate had this experience and couldn't get cover from some.

I would go for it as long as the work has been done right I was a panal beater for years and I often bought car from insurance and repaired them and sold on ,,,it's all about money and as they often value car less than they are ,the cost of repair is higher but doing them my self and some times useing second hand parts or pat parts could do it ... Lots are put off cat c but that is only because they just don't know the trade hope this helps contact me if you want to know any more :thumb:

About thirty five-forty miles.

Do you want me to go and have a look for you?

Not at this one but at something else if you have some time (i'll be out the UK from this week for 10 days or so). Will drop you an email after I have spoken to the guy to see if it is still available.

is a 944 turbo. Looks ok in pictures and don't mind it being a bit tatty as the BIL can fix it up in his garage. Want to make sure it goes alright etc though.

Not at this one but at something else if you have some time (i'll be out the UK from this week for 10 days or so). Will drop you an email after I have spoken to the guy to see if it is still available.

is a 944 turbo. Looks ok in pictures and don't mind it being a bit tatty as the BIL can fix it up in his garage. Want to make sure it goes alright etc though.

No problem pal, just let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom