Cat C W203

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darrell

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
Car
Gixxer 6, Citroen Berlingo, 911 C4S, Dacia Duster and lots of bicycles.
Says it’s a Cat C. Wonder what that could be?

Depends on how OCD you are about your car.

The original damage was probably mostly cosmetic, and the usual tale-tell signs are misaligned body panels and un-equal shut lines, plus mismatched paintwork under certain lighting conditions etc - the latter could get worse over time, as the paint fades as result of exposure to the elements. But as as long as there's no water ingres into the boot or cabin, it will be fine.

Of course, the above is only a generalisation, and they may have done a sterling job of fixing it, or a dog's breakfast, it's difficult to tell without an inspection.

The other question is would you buy a 2005 car with 75,000 miles on the clock and with the M271 engine, unless there was documentated proof that the timing gear was replaced?

Replacing the timing gear preemptively will cost around £1,500, unless the new owner is happy to live with a car that one day and without warning might not start and will need to be scrapped.

The other question is would you buy a 2005 car with 75,000 miles on the clock and with the M271 engine, unless there was documentated proof that the timing gear was replaced?

Replacing the timing gear preemptively will cost around £1,500, unless the new owner is happy to live with a car that one day and without warning might not start and will need to be scrapped.
I thought that the timing belt problem was on the bigger engined versions. Or is that another problem?

I thought that the timing belt problem was on the bigger engined versions. Or is that another problem?

It's another problem :D

The early M271 Kompressor engines (from 2003 and up to about 2008) had the camshaft sprocket wheels made of chocolate... they would wear prematurely, and eventually the chain slipps and the piston hits the valves. The cost of repair - or replacement engine - usually writes-off the car. The solution is to replace them with modified parts before they fail.

The other issue is that it happens without warning - one day you start the engine, there's a bang, and you no longer have a car. Might not always happen when it's convenient.... so even if you manage to get the car for next to nothing, running a car with an early M271 engine isn't fun.

Of, course, they don't all fail.... but other than lifting the camshafts cover and inspecting the condition of the sprockets, there's no way of telling.

Last edited:
It's another problem :D

The early M271 Kompressor engines (from 2003 and up to about 2008) had the camshaft sprocket wheels made of chocolate... they would wear prematurely, and eventually the chain slipps and the piston hits the valves. The cost of repair - or replacement engine - usually writes-off the car. The solution is to replace them with modified parts before they fail.

The other issue is that it happens without warning - one day you start the engine, there's a bang, and you no longer have a car. Might not always happen when it's convenient.... so even if you manage to get the car for next to nothing, running a car with an early M271 engine isn't fun.

Of, course, they don't all fail.... but other than lifting the cam shafts cover and inspecting the condition of the sprockets, there's no way of telling.
I think wifey might just end up with an early BMW E46 then. Or a Fiat Panda!!

E46 is much the better bet so long as you stick to a 6 cylinder and don't mind oil dripping on your driveway :)

If the dealer (who says they're expert used car sellers) knows about this then it seems a hefty risk for them to take in selling a car like this.

Its MOT history of pretty iffy for a car doing a steady 3-5K/yr too. Lots of tyre issues, and MOT fail at just 39K on worn ball joint - that's pretty bad for Mercedes.

If the dealer (who says they're expert used car sellers) knows about this then it seems a hefty risk for them to take in selling a car like this.

Good point. They may be selling the car with a third party mechanical warranty, and at any rate on a practical level they are only legally liable if it fails within the first 6 months... and if the customer knows his/her rights. Quite a few new members here appear to be unaware of the 30-days/6-months/12-months rule. When I bought second-hand cars, the dealer always tried to sell me mechanical warranty, and I always calmly explained to them that I already have one - from them. The salespeople were always unaware of this, though their bosses new what I was talking about.

Depends on how OCD you are about your car.

The original damage was probably mostly cosmetic, and the usual tale-tell signs are misaligned body panels and un-equal shut lines, plus mismatched paintwork under certain lighting conditions etc - the latter could get worse over time, as the paint fades as result of exposure to the elements. But as as long as there's no water ingres into the boot or cabin, it will be fine.

Of course, the above is only a generalisation, and they may have done a sterling job of fixing it, or a dog's breakfast, it's difficult to tell without an inspection.
Cat c is structural damage not just cosmetic (cat s in today's language)

And then there is the inherent rust problem lurking in many places on this model , add to that the potential (hidden) brake line corrosion...

For £2K ...? Walk away.

I had a 2006 W203 and when I sold it at 11 years old it was still rust-free. I think you can find rust-free examples, especially post 2003 when they started galvanising most panels. But obviously this needs to be inspected carefully.

I had a 2006 W203 and when I sold it at 11 years old it was still rust-free. I think you can find rust-free examples, especially post 2003 when they started galvanising most panels. But obviously this needs to be inspected carefully.
Galvanisation post 2003 is either a myth or MB forgot how galvanising works. You can find rust free W/S203 C class from this era but they are few and far between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom