CAT C write offs no more!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alf Barnet

Car
S212
Just be careful out there folks - VIC scrapped yesterday:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-identity-check

Previously cars registered CAT C, required a test before returning to the road - not anymore! So when Grandad wallops his low mileage C class estate :D the new owner will be none the wiser....

Lots of damage repairable salvage will be hitting the classifieds this week, so if it has a flat battery, green rubber work or smells musty run!

I can't see an issue really - it's not like they are forgetting the fact it is written off.

CAT D cars could be fixed with stolen parts although I once had a CAT D which needed a VIC anyway (albeit unusual).

I took a 190E 2.6 I fixed into the one in Guilford a few years ago. Grossly overmanned with employees sitting around reading newspapers, unbelievably slow & officious. All they checked was the VIN, nothing to do with safety or quality of any repair.

It was a waste of time frankly.

Quote:
"The VIC does not confirm that the vehicle is roadworthy, but it will highlight any defects that would make the vehicle unsafe to drive. If this is the case the vehicle will be prohibited from being driven away. The VIC also does not endorse the quality of any repair work that has been carried out."

It's mostly useless anyway, I've seen Cat D cars that are damaged beyond recognition and I've seen Cat C cars with barely a few scratches. Not to mention all the cars that are involved in bumps and are repaired and returned back to their owners.

It was a rubbish system anyway bit pointless.

The vehicles recorded anyway its up to the buyer as usual to do the checks and have the vehicle inspected.

I never feel sorry for anyone who buys a car and then complains because they didn't do the checks necessary and think its up to someone else to be responsible.

I have seen new cars come off the transporters go straight to the body shop for repair due to transport damage that would be considered Cat D front back and sides damage.

:)

I take it the V5 still has a marker on it?

MOT is for how road worthy the car is anyway. If I was considering a CAT car now, I'd get it properly inspected anyway, as suggested, and just like any other car I wasn't buying from a trusted source. Wouldn't rely on an MOT!

I take it the V5 still has a marker on it?

Yup - will still show up on an HPI check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom