Cat cleaning additive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
lotusmark2 said:
Your opinions on this product please, I have ordered a tube just to see what, if anything, it does
http://www.cataclean.com/index.html

When is your MOT, if any, would be interesting to see before and after emission figures.

I'm a bit puzzled by some of their test claims:-

Dubai Test

During June 2001 a test took place in Dubai, so that the effects of continuous heat and dust and very poorly refined fuel could be monitored. The results were startling. As an example of the various vehicles tested, a JEEP Cherokee before treatment would not change up the gears, the engine was erratic and would not rev above 3500 RPM. After treatment and within one hour the automatic gearbox was working perfectly and the engine was revving up to 6000 revs. The vehicle is now operating very smoothly and working at optimal performance.

Why wouldn't the JEEP change up it's gears, surely 3500 RPM is enough !
Maybe it had more than one problem.

Keep us posted.

MOT is not due until December but I am going to try and get a before and after at my local garage
I will post results when done

bugger

Well took the car in today to have the "before" test done on the CO2......errrrr 0.01
I dont think the additive is going to lower it much more than that but what the hell, the tests are paid for and I have got the additive so it is now in the car and I will post the after results tomorrow.

Well took the car in today to have the "before" test done on the CO2......errrrr 0.01
I dont think the additive is going to lower it much more than that but what the hell, the tests are paid for and I have got the additive so it is now in the car and I will post the after results tomorrow.

If it aint broke, dont fix it :)

PJH said:
When is your MOT, if any, would be interesting to see before and after emission figures.

I'm a bit puzzled by some of their test claims:-

Dubai Test

During June 2001 a test took place in Dubai, so that the effects of continuous heat and dust and very poorly refined fuel could be monitored. The results were startling. As an example of the various vehicles tested, a JEEP Cherokee before treatment would not change up the gears, the engine was erratic and would not rev above 3500 RPM. After treatment and within one hour the automatic gearbox was working perfectly and the engine was revving up to 6000 revs. The vehicle is now operating very smoothly and working at optimal performance.

Why wouldn't the JEEP change up it's gears, surely 3500 RPM is enough !
Maybe it had more than one problem.

Keep us posted.

If the cat is blocked robbing the engine of power then the auto box wont change up as there isn't enough torque.
This vehicle just needed a good thrashing to clear the cat.

A trick used by dealers is to thrash a vehicle hard on a rolling road to unblock a cat, and obtain an emmissions pass on a worn out one.

ok went and got the second test done today and suprise, no difference 0.01 both times but then again it could not get much lower.
Driving the car does seem to be a bit sharper on the throttle, not needing quiet as much throttle as before.
My opinion
If you are having issues with CO2 then I would give it a bash.

Dieselman
Thanks you the explanation.

Lotusmark2
Maybe your car is just too new/clean.

My MOT last year was 0.49% and this year 0.40% (pass level is 0.50%)

PJH said:
Lotusmark2
My MOT last year was 0.49% and this year 0.40% (pass level is .50%)
Yeah was a bit shocked to find the results so good before the additive went in :confused: . May be worth you giving it a go if you are near the knuckle on your results?

Just found this site Garagetalk

It explains how/why a vehicle can pass/fail even without/with a CAT working.

Edit 10-April-04

Also found this site familycar

Last edited:
PJH said:
Dieselman
Thanks you the explanation.

Lotusmark2

My MOT last year was 0.49% and this year 0.40% (pass level is 0.50%)

This sounds dangerously close. What is the Lamda reading as 1 = the correct mixture strength.

Basically Co = mixture strength and Hc = how well the engine is burning the mixture supplied.

Dieselman said:
This sounds dangerously close. What is the Lamda reading as 1 = the correct mixture strength.

Basically Co = mixture strength and Hc = how well the engine is burning the mixture supplied.

My results are in MOT results

Emissions cleaner than ever.....

[Quote:] from MOT results
MOT emissions for my 280E - usually use Sainsburys or ASDA unleaded.

2003 - 2 tanks of Shell optimax prior to test
Fast idle test CO 0.05% HC 56ppm Lambda 1.002 Natural idle test CO 0.49%

2004 - 2 tanks of BP Ultimate prior to test
Fast idle test CO 0.01% HC 26ppm Lambda 1.004 Natural idle test CO 0.40%
[/Quote]

I was going to test Cataclean but have abandoned the test after the pre-test emissions test. I used almost 2 tanks of BP Ultimate as in February.

Fast idle test CO 0.01% HC 15ppm Lambda 1.006 Natural idle test CO 0.24%

I suspect a hot catalytic converter is the best solution to poor emissions.
With 139,000 miles on the clock my car's emissions are getting cleaner. :bannana:

just on the back of this thread guys....

I was considering adding this to my cars, done a quick search on the net and look what i found

http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/adjudications/Public/TF_ADJ_41571.htm

I think that this should sum up the use of this product. As most people say give your car a good thrashing and that should be sufficent to clean the cats.
I have also found a bottle of Forte Gas treatment to be very good too..
Anyone else used cataclean or other products that may be worth using????

Raj

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom