Cat Conundrum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benz17

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350d AMG Premium (W213)
Hi All,
Hope some cat lovers and people who have knowledge of them can help us. Over the last week a cat has taken a shine to us and our home. The first few days it just sat outside our garden doors, then it came in moved around the kitchen for half an hour, and went back out, when it came in again me and my teenage children stroked it, which it allowed, now for the last 3 days it has camped in our home, sitting on our sofa for hours, sitting on our laps, we have been giving it treats once a day, but our kids who are in their mid twenties, say we should stop giving it treats, otherwise it would make its home here.

My thoughts are, we don’t know if it has been going to it’s own home for feed, and I can’t bear the thought of it being hungry, and us not feeding it, don’t even know, how we would know when it’s really hungry, googled it, and says it would give a long cry/meow if it was, does look at us and does a shirt meow, but not frequently.

In the mornings, within five minutes of us coming down to the kitchen, it’s outside or garden door. This cat has been in and around our garden, and neighbours garden for over a year, but have never given us the time of day before, have asked a few neighbours to see if the cat is theirs, but the ones I have asked say not theirs.

What do we do.

1) not give it any treats.
2) continue to give it treats.
3) gave it proper food, and assume it’s not been going to its home for feeeding.

We have never had a cat before, so don’t really know what’s best to do for the cat. Don’t know if it’s true, one of my kids says that some cats can make 2 homes their home.

Would really appreciate some advice, and how we should proceed.

Attachments

• 901CD311-1A28-4AF2-8B9C-629C7A202C61.jpeg
    901CD311-1A28-4AF2-8B9C-629C7A202C61.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 21
You missed shooting it!🤣
In all seriousness, when I were a lad, we adopted a cat that came to stay. Sometimes it happens. Personally, I'd feed it and give it care, whilst looking out for any missing pet notices.

We don’t mind adopting it if it’s a stray, have not seen any missing notices, it genuinely looks healthy.

Funny I saw a hedgehog in the garden last week so I bought cat food for it ( comes around midnight ish) after putting the food out for a couple of day's we have found out its a bloody cat nicking the food 😀 It now comes back every night between 12 and 2am I can't not put the food out and im not a cat person

It's quite common for cats to adopt a new home. Let it come and go as it pleases. As for food, overweight cats can develop diabetes, but if the cat does not look overweight then you can feed it, not too much though, and buy some cat food for it (don't give it human food leftovers). And don't forget a bowl with fresh water. If you keep it, you'll also need a litter box and some cat litter. And a cat tower and scratch pad. And some toys.

Is it worth considering taking it to a vet to scan for a chip?
Yes that’s a good idea, we have a vet just a few minutes walk away, so will need a cat basket.

It's quite common for cats to adopt a new home. Let it come and go as it pleases. As for food, overweight cats can develop diabetes, but if the cat does not look overweight then you can feed it, not too much though, and buy some cat food for it (don't give it human food leftovers). And don't forget a bowl with fresh water. If you keep it, you'll also need a litter box and some cat litter. And a cat tower and scratch pad. And some toys.
We have been giving it water in a bowl, but has no interest in it whatsoever, will do the other stuff you have mentioned, thanks.

And resign yourself to the fact that your life is no longer your own and that the cat will do pretty much whatever it wants

Last edited:
And resign yourself to the fact that your life is no longer your own that and the cat will do pretty much whatever it wants
Yep, as we are now finding out, must say though, it’s been a pleasure having it around us, went out for a few hours this morning, it was comfortable on the sofa when we went, when we came back, it was still comfortable on the sofa😀. But just want to do right by it, and not neglect it in anyway, that’s why I created the post.

We had a similar issue with a young cat about 20 years ago , it had a collar and looked well fed. It adopted us and as we were shortly moving house we put a note on it's collar asking any owner to contact us. We had no response and when we finally moved we didn't have the heart to leave it behind so he came with us. He was my shadow for the next 16 years , if I sat down he'd be in my lap in seconds. Unfortunately had to put him down a few years ago and vowed not to have another cat , I get too attached to them.

We had a similar issue with a young cat about 20 years ago , it had a collar and looked well fed. It adopted us and as we were shortly moving house we put a note on it's collar asking any owner to contact us. We had no response and when we finally moved we didn't have the heart to leave it behind so he came with us. He was my shadow for the next 16 years , if I sat down he'd be in my lap in seconds. Unfortunately had to put him down a few years ago and vowed not to have another cat , I get too attached to them.
As I said, never had a cat so don’t know their behaviour attributes, but within a few days this cat has become very comfortable in my lap, and parking itself next to anyone who is sitting on the sofa, and in and around our home, is this normal cat behaviour.

There are two types of cat , I've had both over the years :
Type 1 - I love you , you're my mother and I feel safe when I'm with you.
Type 2 - I'm a cat , leave me alone , when I want something I'll let you know,
Thanks, that pretty clear and simple 🤣, obviously we have Type 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom