Cat Insurance (Not a typo)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Being Mr Sensible for a few seconds:

Cat-Scratch Disease

What is cat-scratch disease, and how do people get it?

Cat-scratch disease is an infection caused by bacteria (germs) carried in cat saliva. The bacteria can be passed from a cat to a human. Doctors and researchers think cats may get the bacteria from fleas, although this hasn't been proved.

You can get cat-scratch disease from a cat bite or cat scratch. You can get the infection after a cat scratches you if the cat's paws have the bacteria on them. (A cat can get the bacteria on its paws when it licks itself.) With a cat bite, the cat can pass the bacteria to you in its saliva. You can also get the bacteria in your eyes if you pet a cat that has the bacteria on its fur and then rub your eyes. Many people who get cat-scratch disease do not remember being scratched or bitten by a cat.

Cat-scratch disease is not a severe illness in people who are healthy. But it can be a problem in people with weak immune systems. People with weak immune systems include those who are receiving chemotherapy for cancer, those who have diabetes or those who have acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS).

I always thought the most common way of getting this infection was either when trying to examine the cat and it either bit, or scratched you, but the other more alarming way is when children play with the cat and it scratches them. Cats are generally quite clean with their toiletry habits, but they don't wash their hands after flushing the remains away. :) In other words they drag their paws through either the urine, or whoopsie. This bacteria infested yuk accumulates in the pussy cats claws and when they play with their friends these claws get 'cleaned' :eek: ;)

I am a cat lover, I'm not being alarmist, but hopefully I am simply making folks more aware.

Cleanliness is next to Godliness :D I've seen some comedy pictures of a cat sat on a loo, perhaps that's what we should do... :devil:

John

I think this is life. I would really question if I'd want much to do with someone that pursued a cat owner over this, unless it was a rare special long sharp claw species and the owner had shown neglect over the cats specific needs or some other unlikely scenario.

An ex neighbour warned me about parking my car in a certain location because a cat would sit on it. I recall laughing at the time. He was one of those neighbours.

He also thought he had a right to the space out side his house (he didn't). He would ask me to move my car further along from outside my house, which would obstruct the other neighbours drive so he could fit his car in a space that was otherwise too small. He would knock on my door frequently with this reqeust. The delight when I saw their for sale sign.

Last edited:
That's because your cat uses my garden! :rolleyes:

:bannana: :bannana:
:D :D I'm sure the cat owner would appreciate it if you deposited the deposits outside their front door :devil:

I'm totally against dogs roaming about our streets , so why should pussy cats? We tend to just accept that is what cats do, but surely that is what dogs would do if they were allowed?

:) If I could get a cat to chase magpies, I'd get one tomorrow :)

John

:D :D I'm sure the cat owner would appreciate it if you deposited the deposits outside their front door :devil:

I had this happen once. I knew who did it and for some reason the wife of the couple found it distressing breaking down to tears when I called the Police and the husband came grovelling later too.

I wouldn't recommned this course of action.

For a human to purposefully place faeces on someone elses doorstep is threatening antisocial behaviour and will not be looked on lightly , nor was it.

I had this happen once. I knew who did it and for some reason the wife of the couple found it distressing breaking down to tears when I called the Police and the husband came grovelling later too.

I wouldn't recommned this course of action.

For a human to purposefully place faeces on someone elses doorstep is threatening antisocial behaviour and will not be looked on lightly , nor was it.
I can see both points of view and don't like either.

It's okay for my animal (be it dog cat or tortoise to do a woopsie on someone elses garden, but don't you dare return it to MY property. The animals woopsie is your property because it is probably the food you paid for.

To place woopsies deliberately outside someone elses front door would not be pleasant, I fully agree, but to allow our animals to wander onto someone elses property is also anti social. That's what cats do is perhaps selfish if we don't want other animals to behave in a similar vane?

I would love to impose a no fly zone around our car, the four engined jobbies that deposit their bomb load has to be seen to be believed.

Bird%20Strike.jpg

Wife had just finished washing the car. One bird, one strike :devil:

John

Last edited:
The fields around our home mean plenty of insects at the moment, so plenty of birds too - and they are a pleasure to watch (I have never seen such variety as we have this year).

They are probably doing wonders for my health too - I bet my blood presure drops after 5 minutes of watching the birds in our garden....

I am going to print a sticker and attach it to said moggy, the cause of my grief - if it takes the owner an hour of scrubbing to remove it, then that might be sweet justice (?) - ok, only kidding :devil:

As for the "Great Poo Debate" (so glad I started this thread :D ) bird lime I don't care much for, and wash off as soon as I see it on the paintwork. Cat poop gets stood in by the kids and makes a mess of clothes, carpet, hands, hair :)mad: ).....

I fully understand the reasoning behind the statement, but by crikey would they just shrug there shoulders if there cat was torn apart by a dog? It's just nature taking it's course!

I would postulate that there is a significant difference between wild animals and household pets...

It is certainly unusual for a cat to choose the middle of the garden for toilet duties. They very much prefer loose earth to cover it over afterwards, hence the litter tray - a similar environment, so to speak.

In light of this thread, I did actually ask my neighbour this morning if she had noticed the cat doing his business in her garden...her reply was that if he had been, she certainly hadn't noticed any evidence of it.

I would postulate that there is a significant difference between wild animals and household pets...
:) I'm playing devils advocate here,
I love cats but I hate seeing them playing with animals before killing them, be they wild or otherwise.

When cats kill something most cat owners will usually say, 'That is what cats do!' but as I said earlier they soon scream if a dog so much as chases there own pet? What is a wild animal and what is domesticated? Is it okay for a dog to tear a feral cat to pieces? A wild rabbit, but not a pet one?

Folks say it is unfair to keep a cat indoors! I have no opinion on that issue but we have several neighbours who have house cats (blooming expensive things) Again I suppose it is what we all tend to accept as being acceptable? There are numerous countries where dogs are never allowed inside a house, and roam the streets.

I totally agree with your comments about cats usually doing their whoopsies in soil and not in the middle of the lawn. We have a cat that regularly comes into our garden and leaves us a concealed present.

John

We have a cat that regularly comes into our garden and leaves us a concealed present.

Well the cat that uses my garden either had a bad mother or has not read the manual - does it's business on top of the grass! :crazy:

Well the cat that uses my garden either had a bad mother or has not read the manual - does it's business on top of the grass! :crazy:
:D :D Ouch...... It really hurts when I laugh :D mega ouch

John

In exactly the same way that some owners let their dogs wander and crap everywhere, it comes down to the owner. Equally many would not dream of allowing this sort of behaviour.

Everyone's standards of behaviour are different, so it is distinctly narrow minded to apply the generalisation you have done to all cat owners. How would you feel if the same was applied to yourself (for example, as a dog owner)?

As for cats killing birds and mice...well, that's nature taking its course, and while sometimes unpleasant, to label it as anything else would be ridiculous.

Most people have responded to your comments but I must add. I generalise over cat owners letting their cat roam as that is what happens. .....Dogs seem to roam on inner city housing estates, cats roam in the leafy suburbs...come on am I right or am I right:D !! Out of all the cat owners I know (12)...they all let their cats roam. Even all the cat owners who have commented here on this site. The only cat owner I know who doesnt let her cat out owns some expensive stupid furry looking thing which looks like an extra from James Bond film... shes scared some peasant may steal it...(probably to skin and use the fur ). As for cats killing creatures I know Glojo has already responded to this.
The problem is not the cats...( well they are half the problem) Its the owners and their attitudes. Cats are generally owned by the middle classes who dont see them roaming as a problem.They dont see them toileting in gardens as a problem either as they "hide it" ...much to the annoyance of any gardener who has green fingers...or brown after he has finished planting his bulbs...or is doing a bit of theraputic weeding. They are a road hazzard, darting across main roads causing drivers to swerve. And as for the comments about them killing other animals being ok ? that just confirms cat owners narrow views. "Ahhh look my little pussy has just mauled a little starling to death...she didnt want to eat...shes just bringing me a little prezzy ...what a sweetie "..:crazy: But when killing and maiming is on the other side god forbid. If the local hoody takes the cats eyes out with his infra red sighted 2mm semi automatic BB gun, or my dog accidentally rips the tail off one trying to grab its **** then there is an uproar. My friend who lives in the Lakes in the farming community takes his 12 bore to cats for sport...(wild cats though)... "vermin" he states.....He does have a few issues but nevertheless he is stronger, fitter, and more intelligent ( well maybe not ) than the cats and therefore in the pecking order of life he can kill them so he will.but thats just his way. I am not condoning any of this behaviour to cats as I think cruelty to any animal is abhorent...:)

Seeing as we are on the subject of cats..... BIG cats are very dangerous, watch this video, but BE WARNED! It is quite horrific!

EDIT: Link Removed. I'll jake John's word in this instance. I'm not curious like John so I won't look!!!

Ciao.

Last edited by a moderator:
My personal thoughts are this is not the type of video for this forum. Each to their own and I took the option of just watching the first few seconds before giving it the heave ho. I am certainly NOT making a formal complaint and am just voicing my own opinion.

I like cats, dogs, dicky birds, plus human beings and do not enjoy watching any type of suffering. :eek:

Regards
John

Rather angry cat!!!

This is one angry cat:D

ATT8.jpg

I wonder if its thinking, "why is that ugly mutt getting all the attention?:D

Stu

This is one angry cat:D

ATT8.jpg

I wonder if its thinking, "why is that ugly mutt getting all the attention?:D

Stu
............love the picture .:D :D :D
looks like my mother in law when she is in good mood........:devil:

looks like my mother in law when she is in good mood........:devil:

LOL!

You reminded me of a bad joke: when are you allowed to throw a bucket of water over your mother in law?

When her moustache is on fire.

I'll be on my way now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom