Cat Question : Ceramic or metallic substrate ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tjs_riley

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the differnce between ceramic cats and metallic substrate ? Is one quieter than the other ? One higher flow ?
Any recommendations for a replacement on a 01 CLK 230K W208 ?
Thanks

Ours is fairly quiet but it has grey fur and is not ceramic..

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the differnce between ceramic cats and metallic substrate ? Is one quieter than the other ? One higher flow ?
Any recommendations for a replacement on a 01 CLK 230K W208 ?
Thanks

You may not have a choice if you choose aftermaket cat as the rules have changed last year.

The aftermarket replacement must conform to spec of original and the supplier has to give you a certificate to prove this and the component itself will be marked accordingly for MOT inspection purposes.

You may not have a choice if you choose aftermaket cat as the rules have changed last year.

The aftermarket replacement must conform to spec of original and the supplier has to give you a certificate to prove this and the component itself will be marked accordingly for MOT inspection purposes.

I don't see any "reason for rejection" relating to marking on catalysts; MOT testing manuals and guides I suspect that this is one of those laws where it is illegal for the seller to sell unmarked cats, but, not illegal to use them, and not an MOT fail to have one installed - after all, what marking could survive long enough to be legible and verifiable for MOT purposes on a cat?

The metal monolith ones are much better dealing with thermal and mechanical shock.
Type approved are better than no approved.

R103 Information

sTeVe

I take it the metal ones are also more expensive ?
Do they have a lower CEL count than ceramics ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom