'Cat' stolen - 300TD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

balge

Car
Mercedes-Benz W124
Hi
short version - got a surprise call from the Doris this evening... 'awful noise' - and she says 'looks like there's a bit missing'. Hoof it over to hers and, yes there's a bit missing...centre box has been sawn out...

Great. There goes Christmas...

So, a few questions -

Car is '92 built but '93 reg 'L' OM603 - so not fitted with a 'cat' ? Just a standard centre box? Seen one for about £80, presumably not a cat.

Looks like the front pipe has been sawn off short, too...Can't see one for sale anywhere, so dealer only? Anyone got an idea how much, part number? Or, preferably, is it possible/legal to weld a section in to bridge the gap? Where to source some tubing?

Looks like they jacked it up, theres marks on the cladding just behind the front wheel, can't see if the placcy is damaged, too dark and wet

Car was left in a private, off road car parking area, fairly well lit and in a decent area. So, word of warning, they really will nick anything...

cheers

Just get a bit of pipe welded in.

Mr Tyre do any exhaust fab in stainless and are very reasonably priced.

Just get a bit of pipe welded in.

Mr Tyre do any exhaust fab in stainless and are very reasonably priced.

Excellent, there's a depot just off a bus route too...:rolleyes: small mercies eh

I'll get the calipers out tomorrow and get the sizes

cheers!

Car was left in a private, off road car parking area, fairly well lit and in a decent area. So, word of warning, they really will nick anything...

cheers

The cat off a 320cdi is worth about £200 as scrap, so they may have assumed all Mercedes diesels have the same valuable cats.

The cat off a 320cdi is worth about £200 as scrap, so they may have assumed all Mercedes diesels have the same valuable cats.

A *German* commercial vehicle company (not a million miles from me) recently had £30k worth of Cats stolen in one night.

Same thing happened to my dad on a bank holiday monday 4 years ago and was also in the region of 30k.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MBClub UK

What I figured...really adds a little extra fun to know I've been robbed by morons...guess they couldn't work out how old it was from the reg...
ho hum, could be worse!

cheers

I'm surprised at that figure as diesels only use the simpler 2 way cat, not a 3 way one and thought Cats were worth about £25 each.

Excellent, there's a depot just off a bus route too...:rolleyes: small mercies eh

I'll get the calipers out tomorrow and get the sizes

cheers!

Just phone up, ask if they do it and a price, drive there, have cup of coffee, pay, drive away.

Sorry to read that, there are spates of this happening for dpf filters mainly on sprinter vans, all ours have benefitted and marked with anti theft bolts as a result.. Makes me think about putting a sticker in window that i don't have one...they'll probs deffo damage the at instead......

Sorry to read that, there are spates of this happening for dpf filters mainly on sprinter vans, all ours have benefitted and marked with anti theft bolts as a result..

Bolts won't make any difference, they just cut the pipe.

The new MOT regs refer to any car fitted with a CAT, regardless of whether pre-93 or not, must still be fitted with a CAT come MOT.

maybe it was another 124 owner who needed a replacement centre box and didnt want to pay for it, rathe than a "cat burgler"

unbelieveable scum :mad:

I love the helpful comments you get on this forum.

I recently test drove a Shogun which had brand new cats fitted as they'd been stolen while it was sat on the dealer forecourt. Apparently they did quite a few one Saturday night and weren't really concerned about the CCTV.

So, thinking about flexible pipe to replace the section that's missing, front pipe is cut at a bend so making up a solid piece will be more of a hassle than I was hoping.
Something like this -

Exhaust Flexible Pipe : Exhaust Parts UK, Flexi, Bracket, Stainless Steel Exhaust Products, Custom Exhaust Reducers, Custom Exhaust Flexible Pipe

- but needs 54mm bore.

Any thoughts/experience?

Word from the Police, there has been a lot of thefts of bits of cars, not just cats - wheels, wing-mirrors, all sorts of bits, all over Nottingham - so anyone local, take care...sounds like I actually got off lightly

cheers

Last edited:
I'm surprised at that figure as diesels only use the simpler 2 way cat, not a 3 way one and thought Cats were worth about £25 each.

The big ones fetch that, and that's with prices down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom