Cat Vs Bumper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StevenN

Car
E220 CDI 2002 W210 Auto
Out driving early this morning a cat decided to see if it could cross the road quicker than my car could stop.
Being a animal lover I tried to swerve to avoid it but unfortunatly it hit the front.
At first I thought I had managed to get it between the wheels as I saw it run off after it had rattled from underneath the car.
Looks like the cat and the bumper met with some force.
My bumper has cracked and splintered in the middle and has also cracked at one end.
I feel for the cats owners as I would have hated anything like this to have happened to our cat when we had one.
But now I am faced with replacing the bumper.
I have to weigh up the pros and cons about running it through the insurance as I have plenty of years protected no claims.
Or do I look to see if I can get one second hand.
If I do the latter I might as well wait till after winter as god knows what might happen in the snow and ice.

Let's hope Santa brings me a bit of good luck for once

From what you have described, i would say the bumper could have possibly been repaired before, as i dont think a cat would crack a bumper, especially as it got up afterwards.

You could look into getting quotes from the scuff and scratch remover type places as they do bumper repair too, or a bodyshop could put it right.

As long as there isnt any of it missing.

Hope this helps

...Let's hope Santa brings me a bit of good luck for once

I'm sure things will work out for you.

As said, get quotes from 'Smart Repair' people first, as plastic bumpers can be welded and fixed.

Out driving early this morning a cat decided to see if it could cross the road quicker than my car could stop.

When I first started reading that, I thought you meant you're catalytic converter. :D

its a shame cats are deemed as free spirits and you cant hold the owners resonsible the same way as you can a dogs owner .
had the same problem with a neibourghs cat "sharpening " its claws on our rag top years ago .

The bumpers way past repairing.
I will post a pic tomorrow.
It needs to come off so I can do the wings so looking on the bright side I don't have to be that careful when I take it off.
Suppose I need to think what a claim will cost long term against the cost of a second hand bumper.
I hope the cat only used up one of it's 9 lives
Thought it might be ok when I saw it run off but when you see the bumper I think it will need more than a plaster.
Thanks one and all

Steve

Very sorry about that. It must be a horrible thing to happen, I dread running over somebodies cat. I find I scan under cars when driving at night. After the experience of picking my cat out of the road I now stop if I can to remove any unfortunate feline from the carriageway.

My sympathy steve.

Look at your protected no claims policy - some allow up to 2 claims before affecting your NCD.

At the end of the day it's why you pay the extra for protecting your NCD.

Hi Daz

My worry is that because you have to declare all claims this will affect the premium next year.
I am unsure that this will apply even if I phone them and ask for information on the best way of handling the problem?

I don't think they can fix this!
Lets hope the cat came off better.
The bumper did have a lot of flex in it.

That's repairable. £200 I reckon.

Looking more closely there are too many bits missing and splinters to do a good job.
I suppose you could do it with fibreglass.
I have seen new pattern bumpers for about £150.
These will need the trim swapping and spraying though.

I will have to look at my policy to see what the excess is as I believe I opted for no excess.

Scanning eBay for a scrapper as well

Looking more closely there are too many bits missing and splinters to do a good job.
I suppose you could do it with fibreglass.
I have seen new pattern bumpers for about £150.
These will need the trim swapping and spraying though.

I will have to look at my policy to see what the excess is as I believe I opted for no excess.

Scanning eBay for a scrapper as well

A good used bumper can be had for £100, and expect to pay around £100 to paint it.

Checked the policy the Insurance Excess is £200.

If I can find a bumper for £100 I will not bother with Insurance as I will only pay a increased premium next year.

Should there be a panel underneath the bumper?
I did notice something at the side of the road after I traveled down it again.
If it is mine it's probably well knackered now though?

Just look for a second hand bumper in the same colour as yours, definitely the cheapest option.

Plus you're not looking to repair it straight away so you can keep an eye out and hopefully you'll come across the right bumper/colour etc.

Just look for a second hand bumper in the same colour as yours, definitely the cheapest option.

Plus you're not looking to repair it straight away so you can keep an eye out and hopefully you'll come across the right bumper/colour etc.

Asked the question and they say you need a new one pal.

many thanks

Steve

I've seen plastics far worse than that repaired - some properly smashed bike fairings brought back to life.

However, a s/h bumper and respray is definitely the best way forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom